Thread: Remap

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused Remap

Right, I've been looking at the threads on here and I'm thinking about a remap in a few months time when i can get the money together. However, can i ask a few questions about it first?

> Can you choose the gains that you would like? (i.e mine is SRI 150 can i ask them to map it to 200bhp?)
    > If not then what are the average gains for a 150?
    > Does it actually improve fuel consumption?
    > Is it worth looking for cheaper remaps or the expensive ones? (Do they all do the same job?)

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

my twopenneth....
    1:.. forget claims of over 200BHP... utter tosh......the best you will get is 185ish without getting a 'lairy' map with many other mods needed..
    2:..BSR and EDS will give you 190BHP..
    3:.. if you drive like a saint then yes, but in reality you're going to use the power aren't you....
    4: go for a KNOWN remap.. cheap remaps usually end up expensive in the long run....go for a brand like EDS or BSR who have thourghly tested their maps over many thousands of miles..

EDIT:.. you're in cambridgeshire... look in the approved traders section and contact 'TourquingBHP'.. darrell will map your 1.9 expertly..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have a EDS remap which I bought of Ian at MPG and that was sourced from Regal.
    I am more than happy with mine and I have it set at 190 bhp NO EGR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi,
    A remap is usually an ECU remap which is of a fixed type. There are upgrades as and when the particular companies decide, or find, that they can give more torque/bhp etc. Not very often but if happens.
    If you remap a 150 with say a BSR remap, you'll get approx 185bhp or more (all cars are different) but the results are similar. Better torque, more bhp, some find better economy (you'll drive it harder for the first few weeks at least so economy won't be much better, if at all. Also the front tyres wear quicker. Strange that!

I wish people would get away from bhp figures as they are so unnecessary. It's how the car feels and responds after the remap which counts. You're not looking for 0-60 times or running santa pod every day in the real world, in a diesel!
    The torque increase makes the remap (or tuning box) great for cruising at speed and wiping the smile off the faces of drivers of some expensive kit. Think Torque! Torque! Torque! for every day use. bhp will give you a higher top speed but the diesel is good for highish speeds anyway. ( where possible i've seen 145+ on the clock with video to prove it)
    The remap helps it get there economically compared to other cars. For instance, I encountered a focus ST going same way as me for 150 miles, and we had a great time, me leaving him dead and letting him catch up. Same with a Passat Turbo. Both guys wound their windows and said, and I quote, 'there's no way that's a ****ing 1.9 diesel!' LOL I'd averaged 45mpg, the focus was averaging 18mpg!
    You might get a cheap remap but remember, you're altering the whole ECU characteristics and program. get it wrong and it gets expensive. Stick with tried and tested.
    I have a great tuning box I use sometimes instead of the remap (bsr remap is removable in less than two minutes) and it gives greater gains but is just stuffing more fuel in really.

Remap? Fit it. Drive. Enjoy. Never go back to petrol!!

I've mentioned it before on here. Anyone in the North Lincs area (hull, scunthorpe, doncaster, grimsby area etc) if they want to see what a remap or a tuning box is like, I have both and happy to demo them so you can see what you prefer.
    Last edited by mikey68; 16th October 2008 at 21:54.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had a choice of 200bhp but opted for the 190 has it had more torque which is really what I wanted. I also bought the the hardware to remove, change and reinstall the remap and is very easy to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

and remember, from experience over the last 5 or so years, every claim is usually over exaggerated by at least 5-10%.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by mikey68 View Post
    and remember, from experience over the last 5 or so years, every claim is usually over exaggerated by at least 5-10%.
    Most wives/girlfriends will testify to this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2 View Post
    my twopenneth....
    1:.. forget claims of over 200BHP... utter tosh......the best you will get is 185ish without getting a 'lairy' map with many other mods needed..
    2:..BSR and EDS will give you 190BHP..
    1. Rubbish. I've got 200.0hp on one rolling road, 202.2hp on another.
    2. See above, mine's customised EDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Why not get a box where you can set the power level??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had a box, it was OK for quick and dirty (literally) power.

But the remap is so much better, raises the rev limit, raises boost, pulls down power at cold and hot engine temperatures to protect the engine, and has a torque limiter to protect the dual mass flywheel and gearbox. Mine was limited to 310lb-ft. Also doesn't screw up the fuel computer if you've got one and are worried about that sort of stuff.

My remap was also cheaper than the box, as I know the guy who did it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information