Thread: speed camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default speed camera

i have just been caught doing 36mph in a 30 on a fixed camera . i am adiment i was doing 30.any suggestions for appealling?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Apart from your own 'evidence' I would say that the camera very rarely lies.

Just take it mate and put it down to experience..... and more importantly ... Slow Down in 30mph zones

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Request the photograph, and assuming there were lines on the road you can work out what your speed actually was, assumimg their gear was calibrated and used correctly.

Unfortunately its often cheaper in long run to just pay the £60 and take the 3 points. A couple of years ago my daughter took her speeding case
    to court pleading not guilty, instead of accepting the fixed penalties, and she ended up paying £500 + the points in the end. She too was convinced she was not exceeding the speed limit. I remember seeing the 3 photographs which the police had sent her, she was caught with a hand held unit BTW, and at the bottom it showed her speed, but only one of the photo's (one farthest away) had the speed printed on it, the other 2 closer photo's had the speed rubbed out, you could actually see where someone had erased it before being copied again if you know what I mean. Anyway she was so adamant she was innocent she pleaded not guilty, but they didn't find in her favour and it cost her £500, made up of £250 fine and £250 costs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i think iwill take it on the chin and accept the fine and points

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bazman View Post
    i think iwill take it on the chin and accept the fine and points

A wise decision I think. I'm surprised you weren't offered the speed awareness course which though more than £60 you dont get any points.

IME or rather my daughters, it rarely pays to appeal. Only this week I've learned she has just been swindled again. Apparently a few weeks ago she was on a Plymouth Council car park and had purchased a parking ticket, on return to their car there was a £30 fixed penalty notice on her windscreen for not displaying a parking ticket. She had placed the ticket at the side of the dash and not stuck it clearly on the windscreen which they reckon you should do. Anyway she wrote to the council explaining the had bought a ticket and it had been on the dashboard, and told them she was not going to pay it. They wrote and said they had photographic proof that the ticket was not plainly visible, they stated they did not dispute that she had bought a ticket, the offence was that it was not clearly displayed on the windscreen, ie. Pay & 'DISPLAY'. (what a load of crap)
    She wrote back requesting to see the photo they had taken and heard no more, until tuesday morning this week when a bailif knocked the door and requested £530 or else they were going to seize her car, all done legally with all the right documents. She had no choice but to pay it. She tried to explain to the guy what had happened and was appealing the original fixed penalty because she had bought a ticket and it had been on the dashboard and was visible, but he was not interested, it was a case of payup or lose her car. She had received no warning that this was going to happen before he turned up. She has been to CABS and has now contacted a solicitor to try and appeal and to get her money back. So a £30 fine has now cost her £530 so far because she refused to pay it on principle, and because the council failed to send out summons documentation to her. She says she received nothing warning her that this was likely to happen if she did'nt pay the fine.
    So Guys... when in Plymouth, ALWAYS stick those car park tickets clearly on the screen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The bar stewards .
    Where did you hear about this "speed awareness course" instead of the fine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Robbin barstools...wellcome to the calamity country that is great britain..but hold on a sec..it's not great at all is it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

no matter how sure you are [and i believe you], the onus is on you to prove you weren't speeding, like it or not.
    i had a cop do a U turn, chase me and pull me over on one of the bikes about 10 years ago. he told me i had been doing 97mph, i knew he hadn't followed me for long enough, and had just plucked a figure the clouds. i spoke to a solicitor on the RAC legal advice line [don't think there is such a thing now, unless it's ambulancechasersRus.com], the guy basically said that unless i could prove i wasn't speeding, i was stuffed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by V6 JDT View Post
    The bar stewards .
    Where did you hear about this "speed awareness course" instead of the fine?

Some councils have speed awareness courses where drivers who are travelling just a few MPH over the 30 limit get the opportunity to go on a whole day Speed awareness course.

A few years ago I was caught doing 34mph in a 30 limit, at the time, Lancashire council offered drivers who were doing 35mph or less the course. It cost £95 and lasted all day from 9am until 5pm, but I did'nt get any points. The scheme was later copied by other councils throughout the UK, and from what others have stated some councils have raised the threshold higher than 35mph to 38 or even 40mph in some area's to qualify for the course.
    Its obviously a big ripoff, as those that really need it, who are travelling fast never get offered it.
    For me it was a way to keep my clean licence so I didn't mind paying £95.

I should add, you are never offered the course if you already have 2 sets of points on your licence.
    Its possible that the borough in which you commited the offence may not be doing the course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information