StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default looking to train in lgv driving

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice and guidance from those in the know.........

I'm looking at taking my lgv test and doing a bit of driving - just as a change of scenery and a possible top up for other ventures.

It's something i've always wanted to do.

I've got th necc forms and that to get my C provisional entitlement but.

What do you reckon is the best way to do this? Do you think it's possible to find a company to train with and then work for (saving me some or all of fees etc... as long as i stay with them a certain number of years) or is this pie in the sky????

Any tips or advice for starting out in this line of work??

Any recommended training centres around the mids??

All help and advice gratefully received

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't bother the industry is on it's ar$e. I've been in the game for 14 years now and I hate it.

Pretending to be unmarked Police in my T5...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right,

You can find a company to enroll you in a training scheme, and as you rightly point out, they will require you to woerk for them for a number of years in order to pay the debt off. if you leave before the time is up, you are required to pay off the outstanding balance obviously..What you need to do is find a local haulier local to you, approach them and ask them to sponser you, the get in touch with the relevany authorities and get all the paperwork sorted.

Now, i am completely against these driver training schemes, but thats easy said from someone who has been driving trucks a long time. There are some plus points, not many but some.

The main upside to it is you will not have the usual "2 Years Experience" problem that all new drivers have to face, as the compnay who take you on will have already have an arrangement with their nsurance company enabling them to employ new drivers.

Now, I personally would advise against anyone looking to get into drivig a sa full time job, its sh*t! The money is not that good(it looks good when you take home £600 a week, but when you see what you have to do for it), the working conditions are sh*t, the facilities on the road are sh*t, you get treated like 2nd rate citizens wherever you go to collect/deliver, the list is endless..

I would ask myself this much...

Why do i want to drive trucks when i can earn more stacking shelves in Tesco?(is it because you have seen one of the adverts claiming to be able to earn £1000 a week?)
    Do you have a family?(If you do, dont get involved with driving)
    Are you looking upon it as a full time job career?(Train as a plumber, costs the same, much more to be earned)

Now, after all my negatives, heres my personal feelings towarfs driving..

Ever since i was old enough to climb into a truck, all i ever wanted to do was drive one, having been round Europe with my father in a truck, it was my goal, my dream. I succeeded in that dream, and have been very fortunate in my driving life and have seen some places that the general public have, and will only ever see in pictures, Having been as far North as Helsinki, Down to Athens, and many many places in between, it has been a fantastic life and has served me well... But as with all good things there are lots of bad things too, the constant change in driving legislation, the infamous Driver CPC, the constant pressures you are under to meet deadlines and delivery times, the bad attitude of other road users, the government run authorities in charge of transport, all the above and much more, have made it to where i no longer want to drive trucks anymore, and nor do many others. Even the Eastern Bloc drivers are heading back home because the UK is not all ts cracked up to be. What does that tell you!!
    Many older more experienced drivers are leaving/have left the industry, and new younger drivers are not coming into it. Sad but true.

I would advise anyone thinking of becoming an HGV driver, to think long and hard about it before spending £2000 of their hard earned folding, because it could be a very costly mistake.

Any more info and questions mate feel free to ask of PM me.

Pretending to be unmarked Police in my T5...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leeds vectra View Post
    Don't bother the industry is on it's ar$e. I've been in the game for 14 years now and I hate it.
    Snap!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are looking to save on the fees and are prepared to give something back for the training and experience you will inevitably gain .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..JOIN THE ARMY.......certainly a change of scene then and loads of experience. All for free. Well the guarentee that you will stay in for 4 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigMan View Post
    Snap!!!!!

Lol Guess were all feeling it then. I walked out on an agency job last night, I've totally lost interest!!!!

All help and advice gratefully received

Nick

Save ya money pal for something else.

Couldn't agree more with bigman, this part of his post sums it up perfectly:-

I would advise anyone thinking of becoming an HGV driver, to think long and hard about it before spending £2000 of their hard earned folding, because it could be a very costly mistake.
    Last edited by leeds vectra; 15th October 2008 at 16:36.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

having my hgv for 24yrs and having owned a fleet of tippers in the midlands it was great and a thrill to work for my self after being a miner, but after a number of years it wore off its a cut throat game and at present after getting out 14yrs ago it was the best thing i ever done, i went to work+shunt for parcel companys and at present shunt for tnt never going out of the yard doing 36-39 hours bringing home £420 for easy work and 3.2 miles from home, IF your going to do it it wont be easy finding work except agency's, and also all hgv drivers have got to take a cpc by the year 2012, even more expense to those hammering up+down the motorways for little reward, most hgv drivers get frowned upon but do an outstanding job in todays hellish traffic conditions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for all your comments guys - it's certainly food for thought.

Yes i do have a family and have always said i should have done it before the girls were born.

I was only ever planning on doing it part time but it seems like it might be more hassle then it's worth.

I currently work in an office taking home more than the adverts say you can driving - so it wasn't neccesarily about the money - more of a job i thought i might like to top up funds that might become low if another venture i would like to try comes off.

As i say - your thoughts are wll received and I shall certainly bear them in mind when making my decisions as to whether to continue along this line...

Just for info the other thing I want to do is bike training.

Cheers
    Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh - what is the driver cpc??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickzx6r View Post
    oh - what is the driver cpc??
    Certificate Of Professional Competence, even though we have been HGV driving for years!!

I've had enough this week, I'm hitting the Becks as we type!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information