Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Jerky when queing in 1st & 2nd Gear

Hi, I'm new on here and was hoping someone could offer a bit of advise.

I have a 2.0 DTi Vectra C (2003 with 25K on the clock). The car has recently began to become a real pain when queing in heavy traffic on minimal / part throttle. Basically the slightest increase or decrease to the throttle pedal causes the car to jerk considerably. When setting off or slowing down normally the car is fine - no flat spots or hesitation.

This only happens when the car is trickling along with a tiny amount of throttle applied. It also only happens in first & second gear and seems worse when the car is hot (rather than from a cold start). If I am moving a little faster - say 20 mph + in third gear the car does not do this at all.

Any suggestions what the problem could be? I was wondering if there could be a problem with the 'drive-by-wire' throttle set-up?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My Astra 1.7 CDTI van does the very same thing and i also know another van exactly the same that also does this.Its almost like they are to responsive, but i got a feeling that is just the way they are. Someone might give you some possibilities!!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Higgins, I think you've summed it up well by saying it's almost like its too responsive! I had a previous Vectra (same type 2.0 DTi Vectra C - 2003) this definately did not do this, although the throttle was 'keen'. It has been interesting to compare with the replacement I now have (original was written off in an accident).

I'm sure when I got this replacement Vectra it didn't do this - certainly not like it does now. This is made even worse as I seem to live in the 'queing capital of the North' - Glossop! - anyone familiar with the area will know what I mean.

Is there any adjustments that can be made to the throttle set-up on these? I usually pride myself in being a very smooth driver but this is becoming VERY annoying!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Mine will do the same thing as well, given exactly the right circumstances - and it's in trickling along traffic like you say.

I think it's something that they will all do - given the right circumstances. I think it's just the fly-by-wire throttle not being able to work out if it should be partly open or closed and flicking between both.

I remember it being brought up before by someone and I think quite a few people said that they had it hapen at times.

It's not very often I'm in that sort of trickling traffic but if I get into that jerking movement I just dip the clutch slightly and apply a bit of revs and you can carry on smoothly.

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Duncan, it looks like I'm not on my own with this then. Unfortunately I do spend quite a lot of time in queing / slow moving traffic - virtually daily. I have tried driving around the problem i.e. dipping the clutch etc. like you say, but that is not always possible + this must put loads more unnecassary stress on the clutch - as I say I have to queue everyday.

My previous Vectra (as mentioned in the post above) did have a keen throttle i.e. it would jerk if suddenly pressed or released, but my current Vectra jerks regardless of how careful the power is increased / decreased in this type of situation - a shame really as it is spoiling the car.

Does anyone else know (any vx technicians on here maybe?) if there is any adjustments that can be made to the throttle set-up? Software updates etc?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

are the cluch hydralics bleedable (new word?)or are they sealed maybe there is a small amount of air in the system??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis
    are the cluch hydralics bleedable (new word?)or are they sealed maybe there is a small amount of air in the system??
    The clutch does seem weaker to my past Vectra (which had more miles on the clock) - it's just the way the pedal feels that makes me think that - it doesn't slip, judder or misbehave in anyway however.

Not sure that is related to the 'jerky' problem though - I'm sure this is linked to the 'abrupt' way the power is applied / withdrawn (electronically) when small careful adjuments of the throttle pedal are applied when trickling along.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Palmo
    My previous Vectra (as mentioned in the post above) did have a keen throttle i.e. it would jerk if suddenly pressed or released, but my current Vectra jerks regardless of how careful the power is increased / decreased in this type of situation - a shame really as it is spoiling the car.
    Right - sounds like you have it worse than 'normal' then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmo
    Does anyone else know (any vx technicians on here maybe?) if there is any adjustments that can be made to the throttle set-up? Software updates etc?
    There are a couple of Vx technicians on here. Benny and someone else (sorry, forgotten who you are!). Hopefully they can give an answer.

I do seem to remember someone asking about this in the past, and that, from (vague) memory, nothing could be done by Tech 2 - but I'm not 100% sure.

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Vauxhall Technician Help

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    There are a couple of Vx technicians on here. Benny and someone else (sorry, forgotten who you are!). Hopefully they can give an answer.

I do seem to remember someone asking about this in the past, and that, from (vague) memory, nothing could be done by Tech 2 - but I'm not 100% sure.

D
    Thanks for the info Duncan.

I guess I need the knowledge of a Vauxhall Technician. Anyone?

Thread Information