User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Deep Stonechip Gone Rusty! (Help Plz)

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Doncaster
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default Deep Stonechip Gone Rusty! (Help Plz)

    Hi all,

    My Veccy has had a bit of a hit from a stonechip and I've noticed it awhile now but it's always been slightly rusty.

    I want to get it sorted before the cold months set in and may make it worse.

    It's just above the windscreen and has gone through the paint, the primer and hit the metal shell!

    What's the best way for me to tackle this? I've asked at my local stealers and they said all they can do is use a touchup pen and make it look "as good as possible" as a full respray etc is gonna be costly or a part respray will look odd.

    I was thinking about using some hammerite kurust stuff first to stop or cover the rust and then some kind of filler to level it off and then some paint from paints4u.co.uk or some Dr colorchips stuff from the USA.

    My main questions are what's the best stuff to use and what process would anyone on here do? I've heard of something called Deox and Hydrate on the detailing forums and thought I'd ask here to see if anyone thinks it's any good?

    Do I need to fill the hole or can I use some rust stuff then fill up with the paint instead?

    Cheers for the help!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Hi Mate, Have you tried your local 'Chips Away' ? they're a franchise seem to be over most of the country... would probably be about £30 at a guess
    http://www.chipsaway.co.uk/index.php?section=225
    dont know if theres a local one though..

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    scotland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    If it were me. Id just touch it up as follows. With a small jewellers flat bladed screwdriver, carefully scrape off as much surface rust as you can. Make sure u take the paint back far enough to get at any rust that may have crept under the paintwork (I use no sandpaper in circumstances like this). If the rust is not deep seated, the scraping should soon result in a reasonably shinny metal. I then would brush on a little Kurust (from Halfrauds or the likes). This will turn any resulting rust into a black, hard oxide. Then id carfully brush, build up the surface with a couple of coats of primer and a couple of brush coats of actual paint that matches the colour.
    Its not going to be an invisable repair but will not develop further and once polished shouldnt look to bad. Ive used this method for years.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Maida Vale
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Chipsaway probably are your best bet if you want a proper repair (i.e. not a touchup pen job) but don't want the whole panel painted, but it won't be anywhere near £30, more like £75-100.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    scotland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Alternatively, if you want to wait till the spring time, jus smear a dod of vaseline over it and leave it on all winter (do not wash off). It will get no worse as both water & air will no be able to get in i.e. what causes corrosion.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Doncaster
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default Thanks Guys

    Cheers for the help guys, I might as well give chipsaway a try if they do free callouts / estimates because it can't hurt!

    But I'm most likely going to tackle this one myself I think using the jewelers screwdriver idea. Unless of course the chipsaway quote is a good one!

    Just don't want it getting any worse and if I can't get time to do it etc then vaseline it is!

  7. #7
    Regular Member ion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    walsall
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedwillie View Post
    If it were me. Id just touch it up as follows. With a small jewellers flat bladed screwdriver, carefully scrape off as much surface rust as you can. Make sure u take the paint back far enough to get at any rust that may have crept under the paintwork (I use no sandpaper in circumstances like this). If the rust is not deep seated, the scraping should soon result in a reasonably shinny metal. I then would brush on a little Kurust (from Halfrauds or the likes). This will turn any resulting rust into a black, hard oxide. Then id carfully brush, build up the surface with a couple of coats of primer and a couple of brush coats of actual paint that matches the colour.
    Its not going to be an invisable repair but will not develop further and once polished shouldnt look to bad. Ive used this method for years.
    By chance I've just done exactly this as I had a rusty chip on the roof of my car.

    The Kurust is like a little pen, and cost £2.69 from Halfords!

    Excellent value!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    scotland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ion View Post
    By chance I've just done exactly this as I had a rusty chip on the roof of my car.

    The Kurust is like a little pen, and cost £2.69 from Halfords!

    Excellent value!
    Yep, the last time I bought this (years ago now) you could not get anything other than a carton, about 125 ml or so, I still have it and used it on some rusty iron bits on the old gate. The pen sounds good though for small areas. Another tip, if you are using the screwdriver method, put some masking tape around the surrounding paintwork, that way, if you get carried away and the screwdriver slips past the area you are doing, it does not score the paint but dents the masking tape. You can tell I been touchin up areas for years lol.

  9. #9
    Regular Member ion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    walsall
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedwillie View Post
    Yep, the last time I bought this (years ago now) you could not get anything other than a carton, about 125 ml or so, I still have it and used it on some rusty iron bits on the old gate. The pen sounds good though for small areas. Another tip, if you are using the screwdriver method, put some masking tape around the surrounding paintwork, that way, if you get carried away and the screwdriver slips past the area you are doing, it does not score the paint but dents the masking tape. You can tell I been touchin up areas for years lol.
    Apologies, actually the Kurust pen isn't a pen at all, when I opened it its like a little touch up brush, so you have to wipe most of it off before applying otherwise a big blob will come off! A good product though & very reasonable price.

    The Touch up paint I got from Halfords is superb though, as well as the brush it has a tiny fine tube like you see on modelling glue so you can place a miniscule amount of paint with pin point accuracy. This is a fantastic idea, you don't get any more blobs off the brush, I did quite a few of the tiny stone chips on the bonnet & the results are way better than the old brush would have given, you can even do fine lines where the stone has grazed the surface. With a brush this was impossible & made more mess than just leaving it!

    Top marks for this, I can't recommend it enough!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Is anyone elses Vec going rusty?
    By John LE in forum Bodywork & Interior
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 21st January 2013, 00:25
  2. Excessively Rusty
    By MUNGIS in forum Suspension, Wheels & Brakes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24th August 2012, 10:54
  3. rusty chiminea
    By dunkymunky in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30th June 2012, 19:10
  4. Rusty door
    By nico in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 18th August 2009, 19:42
  5. Rusty Exhaust
    By KC in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 30th April 2008, 20:43

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •