Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default signum v6 CDTI power steering

Hi

I've owned the above car for about 3 months and am generally very pleased with it, however it seems to have a strange fault with the power steering. Occasionally the power steering feels as if it isn't working! The car will be very heavy to move about at low speeds. I have had the power steering warning light come on once and have had the codes read. They related to failure to communicate between the cambus (is that right?) and the power steering and also another one about the ABS and the steering angle sensor. Both have been cleared but I still very occasionally feel the steering go very heavy( no warning lights have re appaeared so far) and always when I'm just setting off from a junction etc and the steering wheel is being turned.

Any thoughts anyone, any input gratefully received.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Could be the pump with an intermittent fault... I'd get that checked out.. mine went the same way.. got it changed under warrenty... but that would be my 1st guess... or possibly the CIM but im not too sure on that. HTH

EDIT: Here is my 2nd post with a link to my original post inside. When i had my fault.
    http://forum.vectra-c.com/showthread.php?t=56730
    Last edited by steve; 10th October 2008 at 10:01.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Does sound pump related to me. Ask the garage to look at it again unless its hartwell's, wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've had a similar problem with the power steering cutting out completely at low speeds (Vectra 04Reg 3.0CDTi) as has my father on his 06 1.8 Vectra. Especially when the revs are slowing down.
    I reckon its the pump cuts out with a lack of engine revs. However it has not done it for a while. Thank god its only at low speeds.
    Turning the engine off and re-starting the engine solves the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Power steering Issues

I have the 'steering wheel with exclamation' icon now up permanently along with the traction control light on, again permanently. Took it to my friends garage who attached a code reader.

it is coming up with both linked and related it to angle sensor. Been told I need a replacement steering unit.

Anyone else had this problem and what was your outcome along with estimated cost?

If it is too expensive then i am just going to lay the car up in the drive and SORN it as is used as a 3rd car anyway!

Thanks in advance...John

ps: its a 2005 V6 CDTi Vectra

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi All
    Well I have finally got the problem sorted and solved. Firstly the power steering reservoir was low on fluid so that was topped up but the car still showed the steering wheel fault light as well as the tcs/esp light (intermittently). The car had to go to large main dealers in Beccles where it had to have a "car pass code" issued. I was told it was a code that vauxhall issue to allow deeper interrogation of the ecu's (cost £20). Then a long time on diagnostics and wiring tracing. Finally the fault was traced to a faulty park pilot control unit.
    Anyway the unit was replaced under warranty and so far the car has been fine, total cost nearly £600 pounds!!!! The worst part of all this was the fact that all the diagnostics were not covered by the warranty, so I had to shell out £330 of my own money.
    Hopefully thats the last I shall have to spend on it, apart from servicing, for a long time.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Good its fixed but the first I have seen about anyone paying for the dignostics not being covered. Sounds totally wrong

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia CDTi SRi NAV 160

Trim : SRi

Engine : A20DTH

Year : 2009

Mileage : 88000

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sig View Post
    Good its fixed but the first I have seen about anyone paying for the dignostics not being covered. Sounds totally wrong
    No charge for diagostics when the fault involves a warranty claim, you have been ripped mate. Get you money back

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi All

In answer to the first comments, I too thought that the diagnostics would be covered. However there is a specific clause in the mechanical breakdown warranty, that states that diagnostics and testing are specifically excluded from the warranty.
    The second part is that I have (as usual ) spoken too soon. The car behaved perfectly for the last week, but guess what, its just started doing exactly the same again. The problem is only showing up when the car is stationary after a run. The steering wheel warning icon comes on together with the esp/tcs light.
    The car is going in again this weekend, and this time I am not paying for any more diagnostics as they have obviously not repaired it from the last time. I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Tony

Thread Information