Well I thought I’d tell you a wee story about the first 6 weeks of owning my Signum, which I love by the way! Bought it from Arnold Shark through in Glasgow, it’s an 04 2.2 Design Direct with 21k on the clock. Got for £5k which I thought was pretty good. It’s mint condition and want it to stay that way!

Anyway, the salesman phoned me the day before picking it up to say they found a problem with the rear passenger door lock (the pin was intermittently not opening when the central locking was pressed) so he said it would be fixed by the time I picked it up.

The day came and we collected the car and all seemed fine. Got home (50 miles I might add) and the door pin wouldn’t pop up. I phoned him straight away and he said ‘Oh, sorry, I thought they’d fixed it...I’ll check with servicing and call you back’. So, he calls me later and tells me that they hadn’t fixed it but had ordered the part (cheeky swine’s...) and that they would send it to my local Arnold Shark dealer a couple of miles down the road.....fine I thought...no worries...genuine mistake.

So got a call from my local dealer to say the part was in, dropped the car off and went about my business. Phone rings a couple of hours later...’Hi, we’ve been sent the wrong part for the other door....sorry’ ...grrrr... getting a bit peeved. Ok, I thought, still no harm done, they ordered the correct part and I rebook the car in.

Take it up on the second occasion and they phone later.....they say all fixed and the missus goes to collect it. She tries the door, nothing happens,......’oh..’ they say..... ‘You’ll need to book it in again.....it needs a different part’

Rebook it again and this time it’s still the wrong part! B******s! Not happy now, 3 days without my car and I’ve only had it 3 weeks...

Fourth and final attempt and they get the right part and everything’s fixed! Hooray! That’s the end of that.....or so I thought....

The missus picks up the car and comes to collect me from the station on my way home from work. We park up in front of the house and she clips the kerb with the front bumper....’careful when you reverse’ I say to her, at which point we lurched backwards and there’s an almighty crunch!.....

I slowly get out and peer round the front....there’s the bumper of my lovely new car....ON THE PAVEMENT.......The left hand side hanging down only connected above the right wheel arch....

She’s having a fit and I’m remarkably composed for someone ready to ask for the divorce papers.... I have a good look and thankfully the only damage to the bumper is the rubber strip at the bottom which is a little scratched (I can live with that). However, as I’m trying to fix it back on, I notice the bracket that fixes it to the wheel arch is completely ****ed, all bent outwards and the wheel arch cover is snapped in two...great.

So, her mission the next morning (and yes, she had no choice but to accept it) was to run along to our local VX dealer to see whether they could repair it. They manage to secure it almost perfectly on a temporary basis, but advise that the body shop need to fix the bracket and wheel arch cover. (Will be fixed for less than a ton) At which point they let her know that it was due a recall for the handbrake which they’ve sorted...ok... so that’s good...fixed before I get the letter from VX! As part of the recall they did the health check and discover that one of the shocks has completely leaked and is in the red... glad they found it cos the car’s not due a service until April next year!!

So, there we are... not the most exciting story but at least we got a few things sorted that we wouldn’t have known about!

The only thing that I’m not too sure about is this: We were given a 30 day warranty from Arnold Shark when we bought the car (not ‘sold as seen’). And when I phoned them to tell them about the shocks, although it was over the 30 days they said that it wouldn’t be covered anyway as it’s not an MOT requirement.....

Can anyone shed any light on this? Before I get the shocks sorted I wanted to know if they’ve got a duty of care or something and whether I should try my luck complaining to the top brass??

Ciao 4 now!