Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thumbs down Swirl Valve, EGR and no power

Hi All,
    Just after some views. I bought a 54 plate Veccy 1.9 CDTI (150) in May 2005 after driving one and being impressed with its performance, looks etc, although there did seem to be hesitation now and again.
    Within a year, it went into limp mode and was diagnosed with a cracked exhaust manifold. This was replaced under warranty (eventually) and car felt a little better. In Feb 2007 the car went into limp mode again and the dealer diagnosed a faulty EGR (Exhaust Gas Regulator Valve). This apparantly recirculates the exhaust gases back through the combustion process to make the exhaust gases more environmentally friendly. This did get rid of an annoying hesitation under hard acceleration.
    In Sept 07 I booked the car in for its second service (52k) and asked them to investigate a rattling noise when the car was in nuetral and the clutch released and a fair bit of smoke whilst under hard acceleration or during cold start. This was diagnosed as a faulty flywheel and was replaced under warranty but the smoking was put down to mileage.

Over the last 6 months, I have had to top the oil up on a monthly basis. I also noticed that the fuel economy had dropped and the performance was terrible. A few weeks ago, the car went into limp mode but reset itself after a few miles. The dreaded spanner light came on every start but went off once te engine was running. Today, however, it went into limp mode again and the ECU light came on. Givin in to fate I limped to the dealers and they kindly iformed me that the Swirl Valve had failed and needed to be replaced along with the Inlet Manifold at a cost of £913.05

My question is: Has anyone else had these problems and how much did the Swirl Valve replacement cost?

My advice is: If you are having problems with stuttering, performance loss, excessive smoke and are under warranty, get the Swirl Valve, Inlet Manifold and EGR valve repalced together as apparantly they all have an impact on each other if they are not working correctly.

If one fails, it will damage the others.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi.
    Loads of people have had issues & loads of info about it on here, Just do a search on swirl valves, Sit back, Read on & make sure you have a comfy chair, You could be reading for some time

Dean

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Kryton.. i'm sorry to say that you to, have been landed witha 'bad' one....

Been there, wore the t shirt.... lost the car on and off to the supplying dealer for 6 of the 9 months we had it before i hacked it in against a 2.8T..i just couldn't stand hire cars any more..

all the faults are Classic 1.9 150 faults..the only one's you haven't had yet are the turbo seals leaking ( new turbo), injector wiring loom failure 9 loom repair kit) and the DPF fail ( thou yours might not have one)..

It's a sad state of affairs, But the 1.9 is a chalk and cheese engine.. you either get a goodun that will do 100,000 trouble free miles, or a dog that just keeps breaking components...

lasat straw on mine?..cylinder head cracked due to poor casting...

Thread Information