0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra-c

Trim : sri

Engine : cdti

Year : 2004

Mileage : 98,000

Default Head Gasket Help

hi all help needed again!, my son has a 1.2 p rg corsa and the head gasket's gone(steamy exhaust and petrol smelly, gassy header tank,loosing water) so my question is how do you lock up the bottom end, and same for the top, it looks like all the head bolts are visable so i presume the top can be removed complete once locked up, ie no need to touch rocker cover, any input would be greatly recieved as he has no manual so its the blind leading the blind?, mant thanks..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

right, i've got to ask...who's going to do the work... No disrespect, but it's involved and if you are asking basics like how to lock the bottom pulley so you can undo the crankbolt then i seriously wonder if you should attempt the headgasket????????

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

good point!,as ive only done a few,all diesels,astra 1.7d,peugeot 1.9d,discovery 300tdi, and ive had manuals for these its been fairly easy to lock flywheels usually with drill bits via the flywheel/bellhousing, and simular for top, drill bits or bolts to hold the camshaft, i hope to dismantle as least as possible?, does this job involve major work!!PLEASE NOTE IVE NOW FOUND OUT THIS HAS HAD AN ENGINE CHANGE SO IT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS A 1.6 CAVALIER ENGINE, so its not chain driven im trying to locate the engine id but its not where ive been told it is, ie on the block at the front right near the bell housing on a flat surface so i will pop it to parts counter man who seems to know what to look for,any more thoughts on the diffo engine and ease of job in hand would be good, thanks..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if it was a 1600CC cavalier engine then it would go very well.. the 1200 is a bit weedy.. the corsas of that age had either a 1000CC 4 potter, 1200CC or 1400CC 4 potters..

all that family of engines are basically the same..with little differences to surprise you..

you can't lock the bottom pulley with a dowel/drill.. the facility isn't there..what you can do is remove the gearbox bellhousing cover to jam the ringgear to allow you to undo the bottom pulley bolt thou so you can remove the cambelt..to set the timing on the engine, there will be a notch in the plastic backer on the cambelt cover and a mark cast into the cam pulley, align these marks, then check that the mark in the crankshaft cambelt gear is aligned with the notch in the oil pump at the bottom ( 6 oclock) of the belt cavity..dependant on the engine it will either be tensioned on the waterpump or on a seperate tensioner..if it's the waterpump it's best to renew it now, while the belt is off..

once the cambelt is off.. the exhaust downpipe removed and the lines/vacumn hoses removed from the inlet manifold ( or remove the manifold from the head but access is poor) , the distributor removed ( model dependant), and the radiator hoses off the head as well as the alternator stay bar.. start to detorque the headbolts by working in an anti clockwise fashion in an ever decreasing circle starting from back left by the alternator working to the front middle of the engine.. undo them evenly in two stages and you may get away without skimming the head ( if he's not driven it hard with a shot gasket). The bolts will undo, and the camcase will lift up off the head, this is normal..there is no gasket there, it's sealled with RTV sealant..on a clean surface, place the camcase down, and from the top of the rocker pedestals, recover and place in order the cam followers and the small valve bucket that sits on the top of the valve stems..

with all the hoses off, you will now be able to remove the head up and off...

discard the bolts, they cannot be reused, but keep the washers as dependant on the bolt kit you may need to reuse them..

now is the time to examine the head, the block, and the old gasket to see if you can spot the breach..

before just slapping a new gasket in, check the head for 'flat'.. if it's warped even 1.4mm then it may well not seal again and require skimming..

when rebuilding, don't forget to smear the underside of the cam carrier case with RTV or it will leak like a pig and you'll have to redo the job....

As for torque figures, we really need to know which engine it is..

Have you got a picture of the engine for us to see if we can identify it from?..Ideally one from on top and one of the end of the crankshaft area..

also, they will have the capacity cast on the block surfaces ( 1.4 /1.6/1.2 etc etc) so if you look for that it will help no end..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hi, i've located the engine id its X16SZ, so it looks like its a 1.6 probrably an implant by a previous owner, ive removed the expansion tank top to reduce presure in the system which is allowing it to run as well as it can ,its not using water as such for now as its not been forced into the pot/s,i could do with a manual realy but at least i should be able to get him the correct gasket set, a couple of places gave me prices but were unsure if they included the thermostat gasket so im still undicided on a place to get one from yet.
    Last edited by the-wizard; 29th September 2008 at 16:18.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

1600CC torque figures for headbolts..

working in the reverse order from the detorque.. i.e. centre front out in a spiral to back left rear..

1st stage...25Nm
    2nd stage +60 Degrees
    3rd stage +60 Degrees
    4th stage +60 degrees..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just a little side point - has the engine change been noted on the V5 etc? Insurance would be invalidated if not...

Thread Information