Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 2.2DTI - Revs drop and engine cuts out

Hi,

Hope someone can help me diagnose my problem.

Was on the way to work today in a queue of traffic going about 20mph. Had accelerator pressed slightly when sudenly the revs just dropped, tried putting more accelerator on but car just stalled and the EML came on

Tried to restart engine and just died straight away.

After a couple of attempts managed to start the car with no EML and no further issues.

Did this about a week ago but had been fine since so just assumed it was a one off strange occurance.

Any ideas on what this could be.

It a 53 plate 2.2dti signum

cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi,

I had the same problem, they replaced the Throttle Body and it sorted me out, I have read a few post that suggest cleaning up the throttle body and this also works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Have exactly the same problem with my '03 2.2DTI, for no apparent reason, it suddenly decides to cut out while driving and if you get the clutch in, it's doing exactly the same as what a lot of other people have described on petrol engines when the tiny breather hole in the Idle Control Valve gets blocked. It stuggles to idle at about 500rpm instead of about 900 like it's got dirt in the fuel and almost every time if it doesn't conk out within seconds, the only solution is to switch off the ignition and restart it. This also can take a few goes sometimes. Unbelievably similar symptoms but since diesels don't have ICVs, it doesn't really help.

Engine was serviced at 60k earlier this year and now at 68k but no EML coming on in my case when it happens (am well aware of that sodding spanner thing from the vacuum pipe joints splitting and killing the turbo boost just before that service!!)

There doesn't seem to be any particular driving action, engine temperature or fuel type that I can identify that affects it's occurance or regularity.

The CAT has been checked and reported to be fine as apparently that was seen to cause similar syptoms in the past in saabs (where the 2.2DTI engine started life). Also had fuel filter checked and apparently had a little condensation in it but apparently "no where near enough to cause anything like what I'm experiencing.

Is now happening tooooo regularly to have any confidence in the car. It's not so much when I'm using the car, but I certainly don't want my wife and child stranded in it or worst case if it conks out at the worst possible place with nowhere to pull off to the side and some unsuspecting driver comes round a corner and ploughs into the back of me.

Thread Information