User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, Just who is the greatest F1 driver of all time? My Opinions..

Pretending to be unmarked Police in my T5...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default So, Just who is the greatest F1 driver of all time? My Opinions..

I have been deep in thought most of the week, as to who the greatest F1 driver of all time is, and quite frankly am not entirely sure, however, i have drawn up a short list, and am pretty interested to see what you lot think..

Gilles Villneuve

For me, simply one of the best ever, driving talent not seen until the Senna era, could do things with an Formula One car that would show some of todays top drivers a thing or two! Sadly killed at Zolder in 1982. Most famous not only for his flamboyuant driving style, but the infamous spat with Pironi at Imola '82, that lead to his death 2 weeks later!

Juan Manuel Fangio

A bit before my time, but 5 world titles in open wheeled F1 cars in the 50's.

Ayrton Senna

What can to be said, about the greatest F1 driver ever, that hasnt already been said 1000 times!
    Awesome, simply awesome!

Michael Schumacher

Again, what can be said, that hasnt already been said about him. IMO, not quite as good as Senna, but only thuru the fact the competition wasnt there for him.

Alain Prost

A very understated and quiet driver, but so god damn effective. Not called "The Professor" for nothing. Cool, Calm and very calculated!

Mika Hakkinen

The first of the Scandanavian drivers to be successful and make a career in F1, and wasnt he good!

Niki Lauda

Quality produce from Austria!!

Jackie Stewart

3 times world champion, quality driver, especially at "The Ring"

The above are my opinions of who the greatest drivers "Could" be, note there is no Mansell, Hamilton, Hill, Clark, Surtees, Rindt, Scheckter, Rosberg, as, for as good as they were, i dont think they are among the very best, maybe not thru any fault of their own, but still, they have done very well for themselves.

Hamilton, he may be great in the future, but for now, IMO, he is just very good, 5 years time, then we may well be able to put him in the "Best of the Best" catorgory!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

Senna

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

So difficult to answer.

Schumacher joined Ferrari when they were an average team with cars that broke after one lap but dragged them screaming and kicking into the team that they are today.

Gilles Villneuve was my favourite driver when I was younger. His driving seemed effortless and it was crazy that he was killed on a slowing down lap.

But for me it has to be Senna. I've read loads of books about his rise from karting novice to Formula one champion including accounts from team managers on the way. How he came along with others to a test drive for them and that he was the slowest driver on show for lap after lap, coming into the pits at every opportunity and having changes done to the car to the point where the team thought he was taking the ****. Then when the car was sorted he'd go out and lap 3 seconds quicker than anyone else on show.

He was ruthless with his team mates, having them moved if he felt the team could not support two descent drivers and his collisions with Prost in order to secure the drivers championship showed that he could match Prost for winning at all costs.

He was the best for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Got to be Shumy me thinks.

Alot of people say Senna, but I werent really into it that much to be able to comment.

Michael Schumacher all the way.

P.S. We hammered the Germans at Football (albeit once)!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Stevel View Post
    So difficult to answer.

Schumacher joined Ferrari when they were an average team with cars that broke after one lap but dragged them screaming and kicking into the team that they are today.

Gilles Villneuve was my favourite driver when I was younger. His driving seemed effortless and it was crazy that he was killed on a slowing down lap.

But for me it has to be Senna. I've read loads of books about his rise from karting novice to Formula one champion including accounts from team managers on the way. How he came along with others to a test drive for them and that he was the slowest driver on show for lap after lap, coming into the pits at every opportunity and having changes done to the car to the point where the team thought he was taking the ****. Then when the car was sorted he'd go out and lap 3 seconds quicker than anyone else on show.

He was ruthless with his team mates, having them moved if he felt the team could not support two descent drivers and his collisions with Prost in order to secure the drivers championship showed that he could match Prost for winning at all costs.

He was the best for me.
    I agree, definitely Senna.

I've never heard Schumacher say that "he's Immortal". I reckon that made Senna's attitude, drive and ruthlessness very very special. He simply thought he was beyond death.

Schumacher on the other hand was an extreme talent when it come to car setup, handling and putting up with a totally twitchy car and winning in it! I can't ever remember Schu blaming mechanics or car setup on his occasional offs.

On the other hand, Mansell deserves a mention IMO. He's racing in the Honda 1.5 Turbos in the late 80's made for some of the most entertaining to watch racing of all time. He ran his cars very ragged and always squeezed the best out of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra cdti estate

Trim : Get a

Engine : Dirty diesel

Year : 2006

Quote Originally Posted by John C S View Post

On the other hand, Mansell deserves a mention IMO. He's racing in the Honda 1.5 Turbos in the late 80's made for some of the most entertaining to watch racing of all time. He ran his cars very ragged and always squeezed the best out of them.
    have to agree here, the bloke is a legend too

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

for my generation, Schumi. as said prev., went to the red team when they where truly awful & was part of an amazing transformation - senna always looked around for better teams.

had Senna lived i am sure Schu would have beat him in equal cars, never saw senna win a race in the pits!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Senna!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
    for my generation, Schumi. as said prev., went to the red team when they where truly awful & was part of an amazing transformation - senna always looked around for better teams.

had Senna lived i am sure Schu would have beat him in equal cars, never saw senna win a race in the pits!

You have got a very valid point here......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Schumacher but he made it boring as no one could get near him!!!

My hero has to be Old Nigel Mansell, i used to love the scraps he got into and i will never forget when he went to Indy car had a really bad smash up but still won it in his first year.

jontymo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information