0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra vxr

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 v6 turbo

Year : 2008

Mileage : 31000

Default private plate

anybody give me advice please i have just purchased my next mod a private plate for the vec never had one before so dont now the process i bought my plate through the dvla so the assignment fee is included in the price. does the assignment mean just adding my new reg to my car along with my exsisting reg any advice would be appreciated

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If memory serves...

Your new plate has now replaced you old one on the DVLA computers. You should now have the required paperwork to go out and get a tax disc and new plates.

We had new plates on the wifes car. Took a few weeks to sort out the plates etc. Got on with it when we were told by a motor industry mogul that if the police stopped us we were driving a car on false plates and could face a serious fine.

When you sell the car/plate the origional plate will be reassigned (for a fee I guess) to the VIN of the car

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I always thought that the old plate disppeared into a black hole? Once removed from the car, that was it. If you want to take the personal plate off, a new reg is asssigned based on the year when the vehicle was first registered.

See:

http://tinyurl.com/gumhb

There's a good reason for doing it this way, if only I could remember what it was!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by OilBurner
    I always thought that the old plate disppeared into a black hole? Once removed from the car, that was it. If you want to take the personal plate off, a new reg is asssigned based on the year when the vehicle was first registered.
    Apparently that changed in the last year or so. We've been told to keep the old plates ready for re-sale.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by OilBurner

See:

http://tinyurl.com/gumhb

There's a good reason for doing it this way, if only I could remember what it was!
    Don't think thats quite right mate.... my previous 2 cars have been re-united with their original numbers.

When I spoke to the DVLA they told me that they do there best to always put the original number back on but if I was worried that I should enclose a covering letter asking for it back.

HTH

Chris.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah, as above. The DVLA should send you your up-to-date log book in the post in next few weeks.
    For new plates have a look at http://www.aplates.com/aplatesshop/
    they have given me good service and have a good range and you don't have to
    mess about with taking every piece of paper under the sun to get your plates made-up.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

I'm sure I remember reading something about this when I was trying to sell a private plate I acquired with an old Mondeo I bought once. Maybe the rules have changed, nothing stands still long these days!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

when I changed mine, I got all the relevant paperwork from dvla private registrations, the log book, and my insurance and took it through to my local vehicle tax office. They checked it out and issued me with a new tax disc and a certificate to get some plates made with the new reg on. Make sure you take some form of id when getting your plates (driving licence, passport). we were told by the dvla that the original no plate would be reassigned to the car when I moved my private no onto another car. So my guess is that the original remains assigned to the vehicle it was first issued to alongside the private one.. mine was All done within 1 day from reciept of documents from dvla..

This is all from memory but knowing how the dvla changes things it could be different now...Cheers, Bob.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

This is one of my areas of expertise, so I might be able to help out.

DVLA Personalised Registrations will send you a Certificate of Entitlement (V778) to the registration mark you've purchased. You need to sign it where indicated on the form, and take it with your V5C registration document, MoT (if required) and a copy of your licence disc, to your local DVLA office. Post offices can't do this so it has to be at your nearest DVLA centre.

They will take the logbook from you, and stamp the green slip (V5C/2) "Reregistered" with your private plate. The same goes for your MoT certificate. You'll be given a new tax disc as well. They should also give you a certificate to allow you to get new number plates made (which you'll need to present with a form of personal ID to get plates made).

A few weeks later you'll receive a replacement V5C logbook proudly displaying your cherished plate.

If you remove the plate, more often or not DVLA will put the original plate back on the car. This didn't used to be the case, but with etched windows and the like it's now a necessity.

Sorry about the essay, hope it helps!

"Where the WIFE tells me", but mainly in the DOG HOUSE....
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When you purchase a "cherish" plate you will be asked by dvla (when applying to have the plate assigned to your vehicle), to send the v5c (log book back) and they will then send you a new v5 with the new registration on it ,you will also receive a tax disc with your new reg on it, you will then need to send your old disc back (in the envelope provided). Your old reg can be put on "retention" (for a fee, which i can't remember ,but is only about £25), this will ensure if you sell the car and want to keep the "cherished plate" you will defo get your original reg back.

Check this out ,it will tell you everything,.http://www.dvla-som.co.uk/home/en/FAQ/

Hope it helps......micky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information