User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Just had to have new gearbox and wheel bearing (57 plate)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Angry Just had to have new gearbox and wheel bearing (57 plate)

Hi,

Had my 57 plate Vectra Sri 1.8 VVT for a few months now, had around 16.5k on it when we got it, now its around 18k.
    Had a few noises coming from the rear and also 5th down to 4th always crunched no matter how much you pushed the cluch down. Took it back to the car people who diagnosed the faults, who then took it to VX. VX decided to repair the 4th gear but once the gearbox was stripped down then decided to replace the whole thing, this made me feel better as its good to get a new one. They then swapped out the rear passenger side wheel bearing.

Checked the log book and it appears the car used to be owned by ERAC UK Ltd (Enterprise Rent A-Car). The car people are clever as they sent off the log book before I picked the car up so I couldn't see this when I purchased it, the miliage didn't bother me as it will only do around 8k a year with us. But if I'd known about the owner history I may have not gone thru with it.

So it appears (as you would expect from a rental car) it has not been looked after. Just wondering if theres anything else I should worry about/look out for? car seems great now, get around 33-34mpg from it (all types of roads and driving) Just worried it was never driven in properley from new.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hmmm, see my old Vec C was ex rental and all my cavaliers before that aswell, and tbh never had any bother lad.

It can just be the luck. There are loads of vecs out there that were never ex rental that have issues like yours.....

Glad you got it sorted tho lad, hope thats all you have to deal with for many miles to come

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I would say that gearbox, brakes and tyres are usually the main problems.

As you are getting a new box, I wouldnt worry too much, and you still have the warranty if worst comes to the worst.

You would assume that rental car's are better maintained than normal househld cars, but sometimes it makes you wonder!!!

Best of luck and dont stress about it too much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I would say the gearbox and clutch are the only 2 things you could have problems with, with people trying to do burn outs and such like. You have a new gearbox now thats a bonus and if your clutch is fine you will have a sound purchase

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My 1.9 CDTi was ex Enterprise and I knew that when I bought it. Was 10K miles when bought, now 30K miles with no problems to date

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I wouldn't worry at all about a rental car - they are all serviced and maintained strictly according to the book to maintain warranty so you should be fine. As someone mentioned earlier gearboxes and clutches (especially on rental cars where people aren't used to the car) do get a bit of stick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Its going back into the VX dealer next week. Since the gearbox has been fitted there is a rattle around the engine somewhere when i start up the car, can't hear anything after that, its only on the startup when the engine shakes. Also selecting gears when the car is cold and just started is difficult and clunky, selection is fine when the car has warmed up. So getting them to look at it.

Wanted to charge me for a courtesy car (insurance), I told them where to go as when they had it for two weeks to do the work in the first place I didn;t complain and went without a car and as its going in to check work THEY have done I'm not paying for anything, so they agreed to not charge me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The selection of gears when you first start the car when its cold is a common problem, mine does it to. I just put up with it, usually goes away after the first gear change.

The shake is probably something they have left loose, there good at that. Everytime i get my car back i thoroughly go over it and mark everythin that is missing or loose with a touch of tip-ex then take it back and kick up stink! The soon realise not to mess you about and do the job right

Thread Information