Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Help With Towing Predicament Please

Hi there Everyone. I'm a newbie although i'm telling porky pies in a way as i was on here approx 18 months ago and jumped ship, sorry but long story! Anyway my predicament. I've got a 2004 Veccy 2.2SRi petrol. Great car and in great condition. Been a great servant to me since i bought it nearly 2 years ago. My circumstances have changed now somewhat as me and the Mrs have took caravanning up again (caravans!!!...oh no...get him off here!...i can hear you all screaming). Hey, don't knock it till you've tried it! We bought a 1999 Elddis caravan and it's just over a ton in weight and its approx 22ft long. We went away in it last weekend (what a weekend!...remember all that rain?). The Vectra towed it ok BUT that's about it...just ok? It seemed i was forever changing gears and its now given me the opinion that yes it's ok for a general cruisin' car BUT not a good towing one. I've been told that what i could do with is a Turbo Diesel, a lot better car for towing. To be honest i've never owned a Diesel before let alone one with a turbo. Ok there's probably shed loads of cars out there that will fit my bill perfectly but in truth i do want to stick with a Vectra or maybe a Signum as i like the look of them too. I see the Vectras and Signums do a 3.0CDTi but having trawled through the internet they seem pretty hard to come by and when they do appear they are pretty expensive especially for the 'facelift' model. From there it seems the next one down is a 2.2DTi but they seem to appear on the older Veccy's only. Then i note it's the 1.9CDTi...how would this compare to my 2.2 SRi petrol pulling wise? In fact how would any of the above compare to what i've got now please? I really do need some good solid advice as to where i go from here. Like i said earlier my Veccy does do the job but it does honestly not seem to have the ooomph for towing if you know what i mean? Would appreciate your comments/help/advice etc please. Thanks very much!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Whats the weight of your van in KG? Also any diesel - bar maybe the 2.0 dti - would be a better tow car than your 2.2 petrol as they all have more torque - I think. The Signum is a very good tow car so I am told as it has such a short over hang at the rear. I would look for a prefacelift Siggy with the 3.0V6 CDTi engine - just like mine (although I don't tow)
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The torque of the diesels will help no end and the siggy is a great tow car.
    There's a few cheap facelift's on autotrader, it just depends what your budget is.

Here.

One with a towbar.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The torque in standard form on the 3.0V6 CDTi is more than even the 2.8T petrol. So for towing, in standard form the diesels out perform ALL of the petrols (including the ever thirsty VXR's) So all in all, a great tow car.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The diesel 1.9 will tow your van just fine with a lot less gearbox stirring and much better economy. A rear-wheel drive would be better especially for hill starts and wet grass but it will be fine.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I just knew this was the place to come to for advice, thanks everyone! My lad's just paid me a visit and one of the things he mentions is the gearing of my SRi, i'm pretty sure i know what he's on about. Obviously he backs up what all of you are saying...that turbo diesel is definetly the road to go down. The torque of those seems to be the main thing of importance. One of you mentions that the 1.9CDTi would be up to the job but i'm thinking to myself i've dropped 300cc so how can that be? The thing is i want to be able to tow with ease, not only just being able to cope. My last towing car (when we were caravanning 4 years back) was a 1997 Omega 2.5V6, amazing power and pulled the van with no stress whatsoever...was a bit thirsty though with it being a petrol version! Little bit 'old hat' though now are the Omegas. I'm adamant i do want to stick with either a Veccy or a Signum...i love their styling. I do love my 2.2 SRi, handles superb but it looks like i'm gonna have to go down the turbo diesel road eh? Thanks again everyone for getting involved, what a great bunch of people you are!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

CC's isn't in the equation. The 1.9 150 has more torque and very similar BHP to your 2.2, however how it delivers that is completly different. There is a reason they use diesel in big trucks to pull 30Ton all day long

Also the 2.5V6 also had less torque, but more power than the 1.9 150. Torque gives you the turning motion that you need when pulling.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

So what you're saying there in a nutshell Big Sig is the 1.9CDTi would pull my van loads better that my 2.2 petrol yeah...or just a bit better? What are the 1.9's like in general, are they pretty quick, say as quick as my 2.2? Is the SRi 1.9 version as well equipped as my 2.2 petrol? Sorry for all the questions but i want to get as much info before i go out there and make the change. Thanks.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Do a bit of research on here before you jump into the 1.9 route. The 1.9 150 would drive a lot different to your 2.2 but is probably very similar in speed, but faster in gear, you would not have to change down as often. It would pull better in 4th than yours for example, no need to change down to over take as much. I would go to a dealer and test drive one. They would be equipped exactly the same depending on the year and options asked for at the factory etc. I would say it would tow much better than your current 2.2

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What's your thoughts on going down the auto gearbox mode as opposed to manual? I've got manual on my 2.2 but i must admit i do miss the auto box which i had in my Omega? Lazy man's driving, call it what you like but i used to love it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information