Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Spanner light then brokedown

What a night ending up with me getting the car towed to a pentagon dealer to find it locked up so dumped car in near by hotel!!!!

On my way home from work i got the bulb warning on my dash followed by an error on my satnav display saying the centre brakelight was out, anyway managed to go a further 5 miles when it came on again than the car died.
    I managed to get it restarted but only moved a few yards before it cut out again, this time the spanner light came on and an error message on the display, what was weird was that when i locked/unlocked the car there was a realy loud noise coming from the rear, i thought it was the rear bootlock as it has starting whirring a bit as my last vectra did before being correct under warranty.
    When ever you locked/unlocked the door the noise stopped then came straight back. the breakdown car turned up and plugged his diagnostics in, there was alsorts from bulbs out to stearing column alarms but also a fuel pump alarm, he managed to clear them all but the fuel pump, eventually he cleared that. i started the car but within a few seconds the noise restarted and the car died again. so he towed me to the garage, i manged to drive around the corner but have left it in the hotel carpark until they open in the morning.
    Its the first time i have had a major fault with a car in 20 years!!!!

Does the symptons sound familier to anyone else?

Jontymo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by jontymo View Post
    What a night ending up with me getting the car towed to a pentagon dealer to find it locked up so dumped car in near by hotel!!!!

On my way home from work i got the bulb warning on my dash followed by an error on my satnav display saying the centre brakelight was out, anyway managed to go a further 5 miles when it came on again than the car died.
    I managed to get it restarted but only moved a few yards before it cut out again, this time the spanner light came on and an error message on the display, what was weird was that when i locked/unlocked the car there was a realy loud noise coming from the rear, i thought it was the rear bootlock as it has starting whirring a bit as my last vectra did before being correct under warranty.
    When ever you locked/unlocked the door the noise stopped then came straight back. the breakdown car turned up and plugged his diagnostics in, there was alsorts from bulbs out to stearing column alarms but also a fuel pump alarm, he managed to clear them all but the fuel pump, eventually he cleared that. i started the car but within a few seconds the noise restarted and the car died again. so he towed me to the garage, i manged to drive around the corner but have left it in the hotel carpark until they open in the morning.
    Its the first time i have had a major fault with a car in 20 years!!!!

Does the symptons sound familier to anyone else?

Jontymo
    My thought is that The bulb warning prior to your breakdown could be just concidence. However the realy loud noise from the back is almost certainly the fuel pump failing. Not 100% sure about Vauxhalls but several other manufactures fuel systems are pressurised when either the car is unlocked or when the drivers door is opened (this pressurises the fuel system ready for the starting of the engine when you get in!) it does this by either a switch on the door or the remote locking system, by turning the fuel pump on for a set time period to prime the fuel system.

so if your saying the noise come and goes as you lock/unlock the car... is almost definately your fuel pump thats gone - sounding like a loud whining, rumbling or screeching noise.

You probably cant hear it over the running engine so you havent noticed it failing.

or i could be totally wrong and it could be an electrical gremlin linking your bulb fault with your fuel pump fault.?? but i doubt it!!

someone else should be able to be more specific... but i'd put money on the ******ed fuel pump theory!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Had the same prob with cutting out.

Sounds like one of the sensors, crank etc.

Try and let the car cool down and try again, if it runs for a while and does the same sounds like the sensor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

it could well be the low pressure fuel pump ( the tank lift pump) shot.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Update, dealer received some sort of electronic part today, have told me it is not the ecu, they said they was struggling to download the software from vauxhall so i have to ring back tomorrow. Hope i get the car back for weekend as my local tyre fitter has my new boots waiying for the front!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by jontymo View Post
    Update, dealer received some sort of electronic part today, have told me it is not the ecu, they said they was struggling to download the software from vauxhall so i have to ring back tomorrow. Hope i get the car back for weekend as my local tyre fitter has my new boots waiying for the front!!!!

hmmmm the electronic part should hopefully be the electric fuel pump in the rear... that is almost certainly whats making the noise from the rear. cant see why they are struggling to upload the latest software.. mine was in yesterday and only took an hour or so to updat the ECU and transmition module... not that it fixed my problem.. but at leat they updated them!!! lol...

hope u get it sorted mate.... ask them what they've changed or done..then let us know!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Update, i got my siggy back at lunch time today with a new ECU fitted and programmed.

Glad i did not have to pay for that!!!!!!

I did also ask if there was a recall on the handbrake after seeing plenty of threads on here but they said my car did not have a recall against it?

Anyway glad i got her back.

Jontymo

Thread Information