User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel Tuning - Boxes and Remaps Reviews - Your opinions please...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Diesel Tuning - Boxes and Remaps Reviews - Your opinions please...

Ok guys few people asking about what peoples experiences are with these tuning boxes and struggling to find information. Now I know things have kicked off before in the past, and in some cases I fuelled this myself but lets get all the facts down in 1 thread for information.

Rules are for the thread:
    - No biatching
    - No suppliers to comment at all (Might be seen as biased opinions)
    - End users reviews only. Just facts with good and bad points on the items, nothing on the suppliers.

If you wish to purchase any of these tuning items the list of suppliers is below. I am not recommending anyone and I ask noone else to either as this is purely about the hardware. The list is below of known suppliers that people have used:

Diagnostix (Mike) CR1 and PowerKlick - www.dieseltuner.co.uk (Approved Supplier)
    Courterney (Mark) PBox and Remaps - www.courtenaysport.co.uk
    HH Tuning CR1 - www.hhtuning.co.uk
    Regal AutoSport Remaps - www.regal-shop.co.uk

If I have missed off any suppliers let me know and I can add them

Right on with the reviews!
    Last edited by The Doc; 20th February 2006 at 11:32.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

CR1 - Good power increase on standard. Drove well though slight hesistating on part throttle at low revs. Fuel computer was out and trip computer by around 10%. Was at 21 turns with no smoke. Felt all the power at once then dies off high revs. Economy was no better. 8000 miles used over.

PowerKlick Green - Feels like the Vx 150bhp car but the power and torque curves have just been lifted up. Driving characteristics and power delivery are like the standard one but more.... if you see what I mean? Economy was slightly better. Again approx 8000 miles used over.

I prefered the PowerKlick on my car as it felt faster, drove nicer and felt more like a factory upgrade than the CR1 did. Though I know Alex had problems with the PowerKlick green on his and much prefers his CR1.
    Though for reference I am going to the VXR Performance Centre for a remap as I think this is better long term.
    Last edited by The Doc; 20th February 2006 at 11:40.

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Nice idea John - hopefully this will give a bunch of actual end user opinions/reviews on different boxes.

Just to reitterate what John has asked in his post, along with a couple of other bits.....
    • No biatching - that's clear enough.
    • No baiting - at all! Not even humourous/tongue in cheek - it can be taken all the wrong way.
    • No irrelevant posts - this thread is going to be totally factual, no spamming, no messing around - nothing. Just the facts.
    • No suppliers to comment at all (Might be seen as biased opinions). No suppliers, or people with a direct interest in supplying, to comment. Your opinions will inevitably be biased.
    • End users reviews only. Just facts with good and bad points on the items, nothing on the suppliers. As it says, opinions and reviews based on actual usage. Usage doesn't mean a 10 minute spin with one on at a meet! - something a bit more long term than that.

Comparisons are obviously allowed (if you own/have owned different boxes), as CDTi has just done, but once again to the criteria mentioned above.
    I hope that this thread can progress in a way that actually has some useful data for people who don't know about tuning boxes. It was disheartening to read that a new user had read through every post in the diesel tuning section and was still none the wiser of the differences between them - probably because every one ended up with handbag waving and bi*ching!!

So, the first sign of any of the above criteria being ignored/broken and there will be instant editing/deleting of posts - without any notification.

This 'may' all sound a bit harsh, but given the track record of other diesel tuning box threads, I'm sure people will understand.

Thanks

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Great idea for a thread John, however the following important information never seems to appear when this subject is brought up, so here is the official VX take on the subject. Would hate for anyone to have to prove to VX that any subsequent problems or damage were not caused by such tuning, especially during the 3-year manufacturer warranty period.

Field Remedy: 1510

Subject:Engine or drivetrain - Damaged Due to Tuning. Models:Engines:Options:All. Complaint: Engine or drivetrain damages. Cause:Tuning of petrol and diesel engines. Production: All

Remedy:

The number of offers for engine tuning kits for petrol and diesel engines with electronic injection is growing. An increasing number of engine damages as well as damages of the drivetrain have been caused by engine tuning. We have to point out that such manipulated vehicles will be taken out of warranty immediately. Repair works have to be paid by the customer. Furthermore we have to stress that manipulated vehicles do not fulfill the type approval requirements as well as the vehicle insurance will expire. Functional Group:J - EngineComplaint Group:13 - No/Poor FunctionTrouble Code:None

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thumbs up Well Done

Well done for this John.. the exact thread that was after !

I have ordered a CR1 this morning ... so I can post feedback after I pick my car up on Thurs and use for a couple of weeks.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

my expereinces.

Dragon CRD - My first tuning box. Full digital and profile by Dragon. Initial box had a faulty loom so didnt work. New loom on and it felt a lot stronger in 1st and 2nd with the power gain seeming to drop off the higher the gear. Reprofiled and tested again. This increased the 'increase' power band so it was felt over more of a range. Tested back to back with Abyss 3.0, both cars foot to floor and driver swpas etc and no real difference below 100mph. Rolling road figures proved it was down on power at 168bhp. Turned up to the point where it started to smoke lightly, took power to 178bhp with similar increases in Torque.

CR1 - Feels virtually the same as the CRD in the way it delivers the power but its over the full gear range. I can feel the difference even in 6th. When the box has been removed for any reason, and back to standard car, its like having the handbrake on. Currently set at 3 turns over factory setting, with occasional small plume of smoke for a second.

Have tried a Powerclick Green but wont comment as it was only for 10 mins.

All boxes have shown an increase of 4-5 mpg on the computer over mixed driving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

Quote Originally Posted by CDTi
    I prefered the PowerKlick on my car as it felt faster, drove nicer and felt more like a factory upgrade than the CR1 did.
    I said basically the same on a previous thread........
    I have tried both the CR1 and the Powerclick Red. My personal preference is the Powerclick as it delivers the power in a slightly different way to the CR1. The Powerclick delivery is much smoother than the CR1. In testing i have done using routes and markers i have used for years, the CR1 feels quicker due to the sudden "kick" when it cuts in but is not actually borne out on the clock.
    It all depends how a user wants the power delivered.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm currently running with CR1 and to be honest I'm over the moon with it. I've ran two of these boxes now. The first I had came delivered set at 12 turns and there was no noticeable increase in power when fitted. Once turned up to 18 turns there was a noticeable increase and then on 21 turns it was an animal. This was Rolling Roaded at 196.4bhp. This box was a hard wired in version.

I've now upgraded to a Plug & Play CR1 module (this came delivered on 15 turns). Again at 18 turns it's bl00dy quick and at 21 turns it's an animal. I've had it on 23 turns a few times and there is a little smoke, so I got scared and turned it back down to 21 turns. I've recently had this box Rolling Roaded on 23 turns and it produced 198.5bhp and held the power for a while before dropping off. I personally like the kick in the rear that it gives you; you just have to be careful with your tyres.

I've tried all the PowerKlick boxes that Mike at Diagnostix sells and although the power is there they don't give you that kick and to be honest they don't feel as quick to me as the CR1 (this is only my opinion though). My car hesitated on most of the profiles tried and in one case wouldn't start at all. But having said that they are fine on other members cars. I think, because my car was weaned on CR1 it doesn't like anything else.

I've also tried the Tunit unit and it drives somewhere in between the PowerKlick green and the CR1. It's a smooth drive with a decent kick too, but the cost is crippling (circa £500 fitted and RR'd). I've had one on the Rolling Road and got 197bhp with no tweaking, so maybe there's more left in it. I'm also sure that they've tweaked their profiles now as well above what I had on. So I would guess they are now around the 200bhp mark.

Hope this helps everyone.

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

- keep 'em coming folks!

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I got a CR1 from Andrew at diesel tuning it came at 12 turns it is now running at 15.5 which when compared to mates standard dcti 150 mine is quicker , it does not smoke any more than standard but fuel computer is out by 15% at a guess gained 6-7mpg around town but still getting similar milage to the tank
    The only problem i have is that it keeps bringing on a warning light (now its third time) vx dealer says dtc code is to much pressure in fuel rail

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information