Thread: Estate Debate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Estate Debate

Just by way of discussion point, I would be interested to hear other views on the subject of estate cars. I favour them because I genuinely need the space for my work stuff.

I have two on the go at the moment. An old but seemingly bulletproof Mondeo diesel. ( Sorry! ) It is an 02 Ghia X and is now up to 150k It has only ever needed a replacement dipped beam bulb. Ultra reliable car. Nothing and I mean nothing else has ever needed repair or replacement other than normal consumables such as tyres and brakes.

The other one which brings me here is a sort of estate. It's a 2.2 Direct Design Signum. Also very pleasing and astonishingly economical for a reasonably powerful car.

Thing is, I know some people just don't get on with the idea of estate cars and I am curious to know why. Beauty is of course in the eye and so on but I think once you have had an estate you would find it hard to go back to a more compromised loadspace. A bit like your first shed or house with a spare room ! It's like when you first get a petrol mower, you didn't think it would be as useful as it is. I ask myself the question that if I no longer needed the loadspace, would I go back to a hatch or saloon car ? The answer is almost certainly no.

I love the ability to chuck bikes in the back, to load it up for a tip run, to fill it with kit and family for long hauls across Europe without having to bolt power and economy sapping boxes to the roof.

Is it just a personal taste thing which attracts others to non-estate cars? I can sort of see that a large hatch like a Vectra gets somewhere near to being as useful but really can't see the point in saloons. If ever there was a bad use of available space it's a saloon car. A classic example of form winning out over function. That may have some validity at the indulgence end of the car market but in the real world of cars which have to be multi-purpose and usage it just seems such an outdated concept to me.

Anyway, like I said I would be genuinely interested to hear the case for the defence !

Best Regards

Humph

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Used to own one some years ago when i was heavily into fishing(Astra est) as you say brilliant for this type of thing..now i'm into golf and sometimes wish i'd bought an estate,even the hatchback is too small for all the gear when there's 3 of us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The signum is more for "comfort room" than the "load room" of an Estate IMO. However, when helping friends move house, I was amazed at the space in the back with the seats flat! I'm not sure what I'd class my Signum as, but I'm sure it says "Hatchback" on the V5... I'm into hatchbacksmore than Estates, I nearly got a Vec C SRI, but opted for the toys of the Signum... But when we start popping kids out, I'm sure I'll look at an estate eventually when the Signum dies, the have a smaller car, maybe an astra/corsa as the run around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Had two Astra Estates before getting my last Vectra Hatch. Being able to cart stuff around easily was great but I really liked the Hatch version of the C so went for that.

I've had a couple of Vectra Estates as hire cars for work and they are huge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Im a fan

I love the estate, although I no longer need all the space on offer but it really does come in handy sometimes, got it 18 months ago when my daughter needed a trailer load of gear just to go to town, thought about changing for the hatch but I know that if I got rid I would need it back at some point, I think it also looks quite stylish unlike some other estates that seem to age quickly. Im a fan of the estate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Dynamic

Engine : 1.6 turbo

Year : 2019

Mileage : 44000

i love my estate with 3 kids (0 to 5 years)... and a wife that packs everything down for at week vacation... and also enjoy the more space for the rear passengers and what else stuff i use it for loads of room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Eek

Just a trivial aside Kenp. I noticed your tag line re folding mirrors.

I have only had my Signum a month and have managed to own over 40 previous cars without ever encountering hearing about or indeed feeling any need for auto folding mirrors.

T'other day I must have inadvertantly touched the switches in the order which causes this to happen. Nearly wee'd myself !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I love the estate. The versatility of the estate is so useful, i can throw the golf clubs, and electric trolley in the boot and still have loads of room for a shopping trip to the supermarket. or even put the dog in the boot as well and she is comfortable in there.

The handling isn't much different than a hatch unless really pushing it round corners, also the extra legroom in the back is amazing and great for the kids and rear seat passengers on a long run.

For me Vec C estate everytime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Audi Q7

Trim : S-Line Plus 245

Engine : 3.0 TDV6

Year : 2013

Mileage : 3023

Estates for me aswell, I have no real need for an estate but i prefer them as i think they look more sportier if done right..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When I bought my last Vec (a hatch), I was looking for an estate, but the decent boot was okay. and in two seat mode, the hatch can carry a lot of stuff.

But this time I decided I was going to find an estate, and duly have done.

I love the styling, and being the SRi it gets the dark windows, love the longer wheelbase, has legroom to rival most executive cars .

For me it's a no-brainer, lots of pros, and very few cons.

It is a little more difficult to find a parking spot, (wish it had the sensors on), but handles about the same as the hatch, isn't much worse on fuel, arguably rides better with longer w/base and IMHO looks great.

Not better than the other models, although I am not keen on the Saloon, but it looks good in it's own right.

But it wouldn't do if we all wanted the same

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information