User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Electrical Gremlins

Flubster

Default Electrical Gremlins

So, had my 57-plate Siggy 1.9 diesel since January (bought with 20miles on the clock from local Vauxhall dealer...now has 18k miles on it!). I've now had three different episodes relating to electrics giving spurious warnings, as follows:

1. 6 months ago, started car..started driving and realised nothing on the instrument panel was working (no speedo, tacho, fuel gauge, temp gauge) but all external lights worked. Of course, being a Sunday, dealer wasn't open to check out fault. Wiggled all fuses (nothing had blown) and voila...all worked again. Rang dealer next to day and advised to 'keep an eye on it'.

2. 2 months ago, the orange oil light came on. Pulled over to check the oil level and it was spot on the max. Drove off with no orange light for rest of journey. Same thing happended again 2 weeks ago. Again, oil level was fine (had it serviced 3 weeks ago with 17k on clock as service ligh had come on).

3. Yesterday, battery light came on whilst driving into work. Checked under bonnet to see of there was anything obviously wrong but battery connected okay and all belts in place. On checking the battery, it didn't look like the light was green (although this could just have been the sun making it difficult to see). Rang the dealer who advised me to 'carefully' drive it in to them to get checked out. Guess what, battery light did not come on for the entire journey (65miles). Garage TECH2'd the car and tested battery and alternator and found no faults apart from a 'low voltage' message on the ECU (obviously from when the battery light came on in the morning). Battery definitely had a green light now.

So, do I have gremlins? Should I expect something else to go wrong? Should I be more persistent with the dealer and get them to find the source of the problem?

Apart from this, love the car...probably the best motor I've ever had....and I've had a few....

Flubster

Update: No battery light yesterday (Wednesday) but it came on this morning on the way into work. I suspect the alternator is on the way out. Crossed fingers it gets me to the garage this evening...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

1: get the CIM module checked out

2: sounds like a dodgy oil level sensor...

3:.. i have to agree.. it sounds like the alternator.. get the output measured.. should be 13.5-14.3V

Flubster

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2 View Post
    1: get the CIM module checked out
    I plan to if it happens again and the dealer is open...

2: sounds like a dodgy oil level sensor...
    Ditto

3:.. i have to agree.. it sounds like the alternator.. get the output measured.. should be 13.5-14.3V
    Came on again on the way home tonight, but then went off after 10miles so no point going to garage...this is starting to get on my moobs.

Flubster

Car finbally died on Saturday. AA took me to local Vauxhall garage in the evening. He's diagnosed a faulty alternator (no **** Sherlock) so hopefully this'll get fixed on Monday....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

While they have it get them to look at the CIM - tell then the dials keep failing to work but a restart sorts it and complain about the oil level sensor playing up.

Flubster

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sig View Post
    While they have it get them to look at the CIM - tell then the dials keep failing to work but a restart sorts it and complain about the oil level sensor playing up.
    Asked them to do this, but no fault found!

Alternator replaced and all working okay (for the moment....crossed fingers)....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Flubster View Post
    Asked them to do this, but no fault found!

Alternator replaced and all working okay (for the moment....crossed fingers)....
    keep a note of dates mate so if it goes out of warrenty you can say "it was here with a suspected dodgy cim/oil sensor on 2//08/08 and told it was fine"

Thread Information