Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default C'mon Andy

Where is Andy.............he had his car detailed today................can't wait to se the results...............well actually I've seen them and it's superb

Bryan

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I Just had a look WOW what a job ..................how did it go then Andy.............hurry up will you

Bryan

PS I could show you guys but............I had better let Andy show you himself eh

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

Yes, where are the photo,s we want to know what we have to aspire up to now.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

For those that dont know, i met up with a guy from Detailing world and megiuars forums, who basically put all the detailing advice youve read into action on my car and totally deswirled it.

im now back at my PC... and can safely say that the money i spent today was by far the best money ive ever ever spent on ANY car. I thought my car was clean to start with, but the result at the end left me totally gobsmacked. Im just in the middle of sorting out some pics that i took, which arent brilliant but show the general idea. Im going to write it up in a stage by stage guide so people can follow what was done to my car and the processes involved.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

Nice one I for one will be looking forward to it...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Andy I hope you don't mind me starting this thread but I just couldn't wait eh

Also Steve has put some pics on you know where

And sorry guys I still can't show you ..............I love this so I do

Bryan

PS Ed it's worth waiting for beleive me

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I arrived at 9.00 after a 100 mile drive down to Leeds, to meet Steve, the guy doing my detail. never met him before but he's one of the nicest guys ive met, had his helper, tommy, keep us topped up with cups of tea all day!.
    The car was filthy by the time i got there.

First up was a good squirting of Meguiars All purpose cleaner. Aparantly you can use this on the whole car, from paintwork, trim to interior, varying the amount its diluted. Steve didnt think we needed to use Wheel brightner as it was just light road muck on the car and not a layer of grime.

The car was then sprayed with snow foam via a k'archer. This foam settles on teh car, lifts the dirt and takes it off as it drains away. A simple rinse with plenty of water, again via the k'archer was all that was needed to have the car basically clean!

Even so, Steve used the two bucket method to wash the car with a good shampoo. Basically one bucket filled with shampoo, the other used to rinse the washmitt out with.

The wheels were cleaned with a meguiars wheel brush. Never been struck by them before, but seeing one used in action, has me convinced. A deffo for my next shopping list.

with the car still wet, it was into the dry area, at which point steve unpacked his pickup. I thought i had a lot of kit!!

It turns out, ive been drying the car totally wrong. Rather than use a water magnet like a chamois, you spray the car with Quick detailer spray and literally lay the cloth over the bodywork and lightly pull it off. It soaks up a lot of water but doesnt scratch as you pull it off as theres no pressure. Just one of the tips i picked up. I was amazed at how much i was already learning.

Steve then checked the thickness of the paint using a micrometer. It turned out i had a good even coverage of 120 - 130 microns over the whole of the car.

time to get busy with the PC. Steve used a light polishing pad with Poorboys SSR 2.5. to a test area to find the best combo for my paint condition. The first attempt with a milder SSR2 didnt take out enough scratches so it was stepped up to 2.5 which porved just right, removing all but the deepest scratches.

A simple back and forth motion, working the product into to panel was how to apply it. A row of horizontal follwed by a row of vertical passes was called 'a set' and 4 or 5 sets was enough for my paint.

The whole car was done like this, methodically, wiping off each panel after it had been done.

When the product has broken down enough and is ready to be wiped off, it looks something like this.

After the car was de-swirled, it was treated to a coat of mequiars hand polish, followed by a coat of #21 and a final coat of Nattys Paste wax Blue. The wheels were waxed with Meguiars cleaner wax and the tyres dressed with Meguiars endurance gel. The trim was dressed with meguiars #38 dressing.
    The finished pic is quite dark, but the reflections and depth of shine on the paint has to be seento be belived. The pictures dont do it justice at all. I would honestly put my heart on the fact that its probably a better finish now, than when it rolled off the production line. Im so impressed and humbled by the whole thing.

Steve reckons that a good detail (in this case it only cost me £40!!!) could add hundreds to the value of the car at sale time and ive no reason to doubt it.

Steve has offered to do a demo day for us, where he will run thorugh the correct way to wash and detail your car, dpending on what members want to learn. There will be a small cost involved, but one members car would be used at the 'example' and it depends on what the general concensus was that members wanted to learn. If you would be interested in such a day, right next to Leeds/Bradford Airport, please speak up and let me know what you would want to learn. When we have a better idea, i'll speak to steve and get it sorted. I can honestly say, it would be the best money you will ever spend.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Superb job mate the motor looks stunning

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I knew it would be a superb job, Steve is a perfectionist and he knows more than most about detailing.............glad you're happy Andy

Bryan

PS just wait until it rains.........yeah I know I know you don't want it to rain..........but when it does that car will bead like you have never seen before!
    Last edited by blr123; 18th February 2006 at 21:06.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks guys...

Heres steves more detailed reports of the processes