Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Screaming Baby-Help ! ! !

Hey folks,

After a bit of an absence im back and asking for advice and help (again).

We had our baby 2 weeks ago and he seems fine and all is well, apart from the fact that he screams at the top of his voice.

He doesnt like being taken out of arms and hasnt taken to his moses basket at all.

He screams when changing his clothes, he screams when bathing, nappy changing, before feed, when he wakes up and at every possible excuse for attention and when he is getting attention.

Problem is, he doesnt cry or whine, he goes straight into a HEAVY HEAVY SCREAM!

This is worrying us now and we are now considering looking at something called "cranial osteopathy".

Its kind of scary because he does it morning, noon and night and whenever, there is no pattern apart from what ive written above, and when he does it in the middle of the night, trust me he scares the 5h1t3 out of us!!

Some people have mentioed Colic?

Can anyone offer any assistance if they have ever come across a similar scenario.

Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i think you should ring your midwife and get advice from her or maybe your gp that will be the best things to do

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've managed to make an appointment for the Doc tomorrow morning. Baby is 2 weeks and 1 day now and we shouldve had a visit from the health visitor, but as yet nowhere to be seen. P155 take hey!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hi m8
    we had our No6 do all that all we did was change the milk. might help.
    or best bet is to get the doc in just to make sure all is fine.
    they dont tend to scream without a reason.

good luck m8 and hope little one is sorted soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sounds like you're having a hard time there mate !

Colic is often the cause if they are screaming for hours at a time, have you tried Colic drops ? I think he's too young for gripe water.

Our daughter, now 10 months, will scream and scream when we've tried all that we can think off. I've come to the conclusion that she likes the sound of her own voice LOL plus, she fights sleeping until she just flakes out.

Good luck, but if you are really that worred a trip to the Dr's or a visit from the Health Visitor might be in order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hope its colic as it can be sorted out,my wife had problems with breast feeding which made matters worse.The midwife put pressure on her to continue so we suffered for far longer than we should have,once she was on the bottle a lot lot better.You have all my smpathies cos ive been there and it was a miserable experiance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by simac View Post
    Sounds like you're having a hard time there mate !
    Very stressful mate. Its the not knowing thats frustrating.

Colic is often the cause if they are screaming for hours at a time, have you tried Colic drops ? I think he's too young for gripe water.
    Just spoke to the misses, she is going to start him on the infacol tofay before every feed......anyone know how much they should be taking? A few drops before feeds???

Our daughter, now 10 months, will scream and scream when we've tried all that we can think off. I've come to the conclusion that she likes the sound of her own voice LOL plus, she fights sleeping until she just flakes out.
    We have tried leaving him for about a minute when he is screaming but it gets so intense it seems as though he aint going to catch his breath, cant watch him scream, would rather have him on my shoulder so he settles.

Good luck, but if you are really that worred a trip to the Dr's or a visit from the Health Visitor might be in order.
    I have told the misses to ring the labour ward and say to them its been two weeks, and that we shouldve had a visit or at the very least a call by now and to tell them that we are worried and demand answers or a chat with a health visitor in some shape or form!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi mate,

I sympathies with you totally , my boy is just over 3 months , for the last two weeks (following no Infacol) he's been screaming after every feed in rear pain, we put it down to him having his 2nd jabs but that should only last for a week at the most,

Can be scary, before that hes' been eating and sleeping and good as gold,

we've got a friend and they have similar symptoms you yours, screaming 4 hours at a time without stopping, to me its sounds like Colic,

took the boy off Infacol two weeks ago on the recommedation of the Health visitor , and he has suffured with trapped wind and bad colic after a few days ,put him back in and within a few days he's getting back to his normal self

Get some Infacol and try it , it will take 3/5 days to get in to his system, for the 1st week give a double shot before each bottle, to make it work you will have to give it before every feed, just a few shots here and there will not work as it has to get in to their system , needs to be every feed ,

Hope it helps

for a few quid a bottle its worth every pennie,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by petel View Post
    hope its colic as it can be sorted out
    hope so mate, i really do coz im getting worried and feel so helpless!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hey mate, sounds similar to colic - but could also be a variety of things. If your going to try infacol - drop it into the bottles and not straight into the mouth, tip from our midwife

If it is or isn't colic, your midwife/doctor will diagnose better than we can im sure

Some stuff off the net i found when we searched.

Should you hold your baby or rock him gently or carry him around while he has colic? Even if it makes him stop crying, won't it spoil him?

We aren't worried nowadays about the danger of spoiling babies, like we used to be. If babies are comforted when they are miserable, they usually don't go on demanding that comfort when they aren't miserable.

If babies are screaming with colic or irritability and picking them up or rocking them seems to help them, then do it. If, however, holding them makes them feel no better, it's just as well not to get them used to being held so much.

In consultation with your doctor or nurse practitioner, here are some other things you may want to try with colicky infants. (All work some of the time, but none work all of the time.):
    • Offer a pacifier between feedings. (In the immortal words of one pediatrician: "If only to obstruct the orifice from which the cacophonous sound emanates.")

• Swaddle the baby snugly in a receiving blanket.

• Rock him in a cradle or carriage.

• Use a front carrier for long walks.

• Take him for a ride in the car.

• Try a baby swing (although most infants get bored and start crying again after a few minutes).

• Give him a belly massage (with lubricating lotion), placing a hot-water bottle on his belly.

• Play quieting music, or (even better) sing to your baby.

• Lay him across your knees or a hot-water bottle and massage him on the back. You should be able to rest the inside of your wrist against the hot-water bottle without discomfort. Then, as an extra precaution, wrap it in a diaper or towel before laying the baby against it or half on it.

• Try some herbal tea (warm, not hot). Chamomile and mint are gentle and safe. Don't give your infant more than four ounces of any non-milk or non-formula liquid in the course of a day, however. Tea has no calories, and babies need calories to grow. Also, don't add honey to tea for babies, because of the risk of botulism.

• Try a formula change from cow-milk formula (usually Similac or Enfamil) to a soy-based formula (usually ProSobee or Isomil). If neither of these work, talk with your child's doctor about a change to a non-soy formula (for example, Alimentum). These are very expensive, however, and like all of these suggestions, not guaranteed to work.

• If you're breastfeeding, try changing your diet. For example, cut out milk and any caffeine-containing drinks; reduce gas-causing foods like cabbage.

• If gassiness is part of the problem in a bottle-fed baby, check the hole of the nipple. If the hole is too small and babies have to suck too hard to get the milk, they can swallow a lot of air into their stomachs. You can widen the hole using a pin. If the hole is too large, your baby may be gulping the milk, and also swallowing a lot of air. To solve this problem, you have to buy a new nipple.

• If your baby cries most in the 10 to 20 minutes after feeding, the problem might be due to stomach acid coming up and irritating the esophagus. Doctors call this gasto-esophageal reflux disease, or GERD for short. If you think this might be the problem, ask your child’s doctor about it.

In summary
    Babies with colic often do best with less stimulation: a quiet room, few visitors, low voices, slow movements in handling them, a firm hold in carrying them, a big pillow (with a waterproof cover) to lie on while being changed and sponge-bathed so that they won't roll, and swaddling in a receiving blanket most of the time.
    Last edited by sy_uk; 18th August 2008 at 17:14.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information