Thread: 2003 ZC vectra: Horn, wipers, indicater and light problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 2003 ZC vectra: Horn, wipers, indicater and light problem

Hi people ive got an interesting problem if anyone has got any ideas???.

As follows:, when i turn the ignition on to stage two (car not on), the normal lights at the front of the car come on regardless whether they are turned on or off and stay on. When i goto use either left or right indicater, the indicaters flash very fast when using the stalk, but not when used by the hazard lights button, I have now lost use of winscreen washers and wipers back and front and no longer have any horn function. I am very technical minded and am a last year electronic and communication engineer student. I have checked every fuse and every relay and every globe possible in the car. With exception of ripping apart the dash/steering colomn cover (since theres security screws, which is my next mission).

Now for one last symptom of the car: when i indicate right, both front indicaters come on, the rear right comes on and no side indicaters come on. When i indicate left, both indicaters at front come on and only the left at the back comes on and no sides come on. Which i find quite strange.

And one last little niggle of a clue to what it might be, if i leave the car off for 10 min or so, and turn ignition and test indicaters straight away, they will flash normally for about 5 sec and then go back to very fast flash. Through further diagnosis in this same 5 sec "grace" period ive tested the other non-working functions such as horn etc... and those still have no normal response function within that first 5 sec, just the indicaters.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or has been through this before??? PLEASE HELP AS IM GOING INSANE AND it will be dangerous as soon as its starts raining i cant drive again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

it sounds like the CIM module is faulty...

for a 100% correct diagnosis thou, you'll have to take it to holdens to get them to plug it into TECH2...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

exactly m8 as the cim module controls every thing around the steering wheel
    if the cim is at fault it will cost about £250 from the dealers as it will need to be de-programed out and then re-programed back in so you will need your car pass which has the security code on it

p.s. if it is the cim and you get it changed, would you consider in selling me the air bag squib ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

that depends if the airbag squib is apart of the replaced parts, or id still need it, is it connected with the CIM??? and if so how much do they cost lol...but if i have it spare i dont see why not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the airbag squib is part of the cim and it can be splited apart as i have already done this on my car

the dealers will only sell it complete anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

EVERYONE WANNA HERE A STORY?

I took the car to there dealers and as usual i got treated like absolute crap. I threaten them that problems like this has been happening since i brought the car. They lookd at it initially for free and then they hooked it up to fault diagnosis through obd2 etc......and found an under bonnet sensor of some sort was "proberly" faulty (i will post codes when i get the sheet back later) and that there were no communications to the UEC what so ever (no comms ips, no comms ipc, no comms abs, no comms airbag the whole works, no canbus comms.....etc). They tried to extort me $200-300 to confirm a fault that they didnt even know was going to be correct. I was disgusted and threaten to bring media down there, and sue them etc the whole works, they then refused to perform an repairs on my car and refused me service. Ontop of this saw the mech insp sheet on the desk when i got there and asked if i can have a photo copy to prove my car was here, they would only give me the front and not the back (which i read anyway), I ASKED REALLY LOUDLY "HAVE THEY GOT SOMETHING TO HIDE???", and they refused to give me a copy, soemthing rally really suss was going on and the manager new it, the sob's didnt want the hassle. I have since taken my business to another holden dealership which have thus far looked after me with open arms. They have been gracious enough to have decent and honest communication with me and trying to sort it out. Hopefully they will have more luck. If its the CIM its gonna cost an arm and a leg, but im preying its another sensor or soemthing else. I will keep everyone updated on this, because it maybe very interesting to see what the problem and solution is in the end. Its all crazy and up in arms atm. Im shell shocked that everytime ive been to this dealership ive been treated with such disrespect and lack of service, i will be actively persuing legal forms of retribution and all. They havnt heard the last of me yet!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You can take legal action against a dealership because they weren't helpful? Blimey, what kind of consumer protection laws do you have in Australia???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The other dealerhsip which has been very hlpful, has found that the UEC has failed (they swapped one in from another vectra and coded it up and it fixed it), it will cost $845 and labour to a total cost of about $1045 to be fixed, what an absolute bummer. Where as the dealship the car was purchased from wanted to extort me for $300 dolars to rule out it wasnt another fault (which it wasnt) and this dealship gets it bang on the money. Hopefully holden will assist with some cost once they get wind of this story, if not i will be getting the media involved and i want to make sure that the manager which dis-respected me so much, gets it rubbed in his face over and over. So now that i know what it is, does anyone have any UEC's for sale or no any sweet tricks to fix em. Or has anyone heard of this been a common fault with holden, so that i can find further research to present holden with the findings???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Someone close this thread please - there's an indentical one in the Discussion > Car Chat section.

Thread Information