0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Smoking Ban

So, what everyone think?
    (Are you a smoker or non smoker?)

Personally I reckon...

Smoking SHOULD be banned in town centre pubs and clubs, workplaces and cafes etc (inc enclosed public spaces eg shopping centres)

However, DONT think it should be banned in private members clubs or local village pubs...

I know it would be difficult to say what is a town centre pub, and what is a 'local' so forget that, but private members clubs??!!!?!?!??!

p.s. I'm a non-smoker...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

im expecting a heated debate on this one lol

Im a non smoker, always have been and i agree with it also. I understand smokers claims that forcing people out of places wont stop smoking, and personally i think thats debatable, but it does mean i can take my son into more places and mean i'll enjoy eating/drinking out more without being forced to breath second hand smoke.
    Private member clubs is not different from anywhere else. There will be smoking and non smoking members so why does the non smokers have to suffer?. If the tables were turned and the non smoker had an aresol can of grey smelly poisonous smog they squirted into the air in restaurants, pubs etc im sure there would be lots of complaints.

as a non smoker im totally biased, like im sure the smokers will be the other way around. Personally i wish it was banned full stop and maybe my dad and my brother would be around a little longer to spend with thier grandson/nephew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    im expecting a heated debate on this one lol

Private member clubs is not different from anywhere else. There will be smoking and non smoking members so why does the non smokers have to suffer?.
    I know, thats why i started the thread....lol

Anyway, understand what you mean about private members clubs, but even as a non-smoker, i kinda think of these places as a last refuge for cheap warm beer, dusty seats, copper-top tables and smokey atmospheres (as a fellow northerner, you could surley understand this) lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by JCB
    I know, thats why i started the thread....lol

Anyway, understand what you mean about private members clubs, but even as a non-smoker, i kinda think of these places as a last refuge for cheap warm beer, dusty seats, copper-top tables and smokey atmospheres (as a fellow northerner, you could surley understand this) lol
    I could go to beamish museum to see all that...

All your doing is removing the poisonous smog. The copper tables and dusty seats remain. Surely were not classing 'smoke' as atmosphere?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just to add fuel.....

I'm a smoker and think it's a great idea. I agree that just because I want to smoke, why should others have to suffer. Not only that it would certainly save me a shed load of cash when I go out cus I usually smoke 20 on a night out and feel like sh*t in the morning cus of it, it's certainly nothing to do with the beer......!!

I have a little boy, and the thought of him breathing in smoke and what it's doing to him scares me. I always smoke in the garden at home no matter what the weather is doing.

It personally think that the complete ban is the responsible thing to do.

Being selfish, it would probably help me to give up smoking.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by biglardyboy
    Just to add fuel.....

I'm a smoker and think it's a great idea. I agree that just because I want to smoke, why should others have to suffer. Not only that it would certainly save me a shed load of cash when I go out cus I usually smoke 20 on a night out and feel like sh*t in the morning cus of it, it's certainly nothing to do with the beer......!!

I have a little boy, and the thought of him breathing in smoke and what it's doing to him scares me. I always smoke in the garden at home no matter what the weather is doing.

Mark
    WOW!!!

Andy, yeah, you are right, smoke isn't atmsophere...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

For the Record: non- smoker

My golf club intrduced a smoking ban last May.... Guess what.... The bar is empty and the members go off to the local. The club socials are deserted and the club will almost certainly make a loss this year.

Now with the change of law that may change. I guess it's going to be a case of watch and see. Personally I prefere a smoke free environment, However, If I am the only none smoker in a group I ain't going to walk out of a bar!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by biglardyboy
    Just to add fuel.....

Mark
    I'm a smoker too,

couldn't agree more with the above. I hate eating out somewhere and have someone spark up right behind you. If i want to smoke it'll always be outside, away from other people, and if there are children around i wont smoke full stop.

I agree with the total ban.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

For the record: Non smoker

I feel quite strongly about it in that I won't go anywhere where's there smoking.
    We only eat in restaurants that are no smoking, etc, etc.
    I work in a Industrial Unit near a high school and everyday 20 - 30 kids as young a 11-12 are hiding behind the back smoking. Whether they think they are cool or hard by doing this I don't know and its a tragedy that they don't realise they are slowly killing themselves.
    Education has failed to stop people, so the only alternative is a outright ban.
    Lets go the whole hog and ban the sale of them competely.

I know it will never happen because it contributes so much revenue to the Govt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm a non-smoker.

However I feel that this is wrong. a:

In my mind our Government are trying to force to many decisions that people take for granted. it will get to a state where we are all non-thinking zombies ruled in every turn we make. This is another step taking our right to freedom of speech and ideas away from us.

I think all this will do is either,
    1, stop people going out for a drink. Pubs go bust.
    2, people will go for a drink but stand outside the door every 5 mins to smoke. This is always the situation at hospital main entrances. Real nice to walk through the gathering, will be worse outside pubs., but also they wont always stub their cigarettes in ashtrays, they will drop them on the floor.

In the majority of restaurants you do get non-smoking areas which you dont then get somebody sat behind you sparking up!

Tim

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information