Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 1.9 CDTI 150 Driving Style

Morning All,

Having had the Vectra just over 3 weeks, and this being the first diesel I've owned, I'm just wondering how you lot drive yours on a day to day basis.

What RPM to you normally change up at? At the minute, I'm chaning up just as I get to 2000rpm. Do you try and get in as high a gear as possible as quickly as possible?

If you are at say 40mph in 3rd, I can hear the turbo just start to spool up, would you keep it at that, or put it into 4th? Is it better to drive with the turbo just spooling up, or keep it at a lower RPM?

Sorry for all the questions, and possible ramblings

Thanks, Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you are after as many MPG as possible change up as soon as you can. The higher the gear the higher your fuel economy will be. If you can keep the turbo involved as little as possible this will help too.

Personally I cannot drive the car like that. I have to have the turbo ready to go most of the time which is why I get around 42 to the gallon but I don't experience the turbo lag that is often described with this engine.

The exception is the motorway and duel carrigeways where I do use 6th gear whenever possible.

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Plus, your engine needs to rev high regularly to help clean it out and keep the turbo bearings oiled properly etc... If you never use the turbo, it'll break. If you never go above 2000 rpm, your engine will never actually get a good workout, and will break down in some form sooner or later...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........................Drive it like a hire car and still get over 40mpg

Seriously, trying to change gear too soon will do just as much damage as thrashing the arse off it.
    The most economical point i found was to change at around 2500-3000rpm as if you do change as you are at 2000rpm the engine is having to work harder and you will be pressing the accelerator more than you need to get the same result. Thus using a bit more fuel

TBH, as you get used to it then you will find it becomes natural and you will not be watching the rev counter. As is the same for overtaking etc, you don't need to change down as you do in a petrol as there is far more torque. The engine, if in it optimum torque band, will pull like a train without dropping down.
    Fit a tuning box or a remap and you will really notice the amount of torque these engines produce.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well I have had my CDTi for over 2 years now and have tried different styles. I went through a phase of watching my revs never really going above 2.2 k revs and driving carefully and did get an extra 40 miles duration per tank of diesel. As it has been said though, engines do like to be revved (when at normal operating temp) to clean the internals so I would advocate a mixture of styles if you are watching your economy, just make sure you give it blast once a week or so. Same with air con, give this a blast at least once a week all year round to keep it in working order. If you ever go for a remap or tuning box, the temptation to bury your foot into the carpet is high though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Caterman View Post
    Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........................Drive it like a hire car and still get over 40mpg

Seriously, trying to change gear too soon will do just as much damage as thrashing the arse off it.
    The most economical point i found was to change at around 2500-3000rpm as if you do change as you are at 2000rpm the engine is having to work harder and you will be pressing the accelerator more than you need to get the same result. Thus using a bit more fuel

TBH, as you get used to it then you will find it becomes natural and you will not be watching the rev counter. As is the same for overtaking etc, you don't need to change down as you do in a petrol as there is far more torque. The engine, if in it optimum torque band, will pull like a train without dropping down.
    Fit a tuning box or a remap and you will really notice the amount of torque these engines produce.
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedwillie View Post
    Well I have had my CDTi for over 2 years now and have tried different styles. I went through a phase of watching my revs never really going above 2.2 k revs and driving carefully and did get an extra 40 miles duration per tank of diesel. As it has been said though, engines do like to be revved (when at normal operating temp) to clean the internals so I would advocate a mixture of styles if you are watching your economy, just make sure you give it blast once a week or so. Same with air con, give this a blast at least once a week all year round to keep it in working order. If you ever go for a remap or tuning box, the temptation to bury your foot into the carpet is high though.
    Thanks for the info. I've been taking it really steady while the engine gets upto temperature (usually about 10 minutes??).

I've had a DTUK Eco 3 Green box on since last Tuesday, and it is really tempting to boot the hell out of it.

I'm getting 39.2mpg at the minute according to the trip computer, but I've only done ~400 miles of around town driving.

So, from the above, the engines do like a thrash every now and again then ?

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

They have a rev limiter for a reason - to stop them going to a point where it's dangerous to rev to - so anything up till that point is fine as long as you aren't doing it ALL the time...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Good stuff. I've not hit the rev limiter yet, and I have been taking it quite steady. Just need to do a good run down to Cornwall (end of September) to make the most of the Diesel and 6 speed box, and stretch it's legs a bit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

39.2 mpg on the trip comp is not really that good TBH if you are diving like Miss Daisy m8.

My old 1.9's both would easily be in the low 40's around town and that was not even trying to be economical. On a run to York when i first had my silver one i averaged 58mpg at "motorway" speeds That was with a box fitted. (1 of 3 different ones actually ) I used £20 worth of fuel (24 litres as it was cheaper then) and did well over 200 miles.
    Most runs, to London, South Wales etc would give well into the high 40's mpg without trying to be economical and with a fairly well loaded car

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm not sure if the problem at the minute is all the driving I do (to and from work) is a 6 mile trip each way, lots of stop starts as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information