Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Angry Scumbag Politicians again

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7539625.stm

The committee's report, entitled Vehicle Excise Duty as an environmental tax, said the idea was a "step in the right direction" and agreed it was not a retrospective tax.
    But it did criticise some aspects of the changes, including the way they were presented in the small print of this year's Budget.
    And the cost difference between tax bands was still not enough to make the public buy cleaner models, it argued.
    "This is quite an urgent issue - emissions from cars are increasing, people are buying cars all the time," Mr Yeo told BBC One's Breakfast.
    "We don't want them to stop driving, but we want them to choose the greenest car.
    "They need the biggest possible incentive, that's why the government should be even bolder - really penal rates for high-emission cars and really attractive 'carrots' so that tax is almost nothing on the greenest models."

Good old Tim. What a lovely feller.

If you have a look on the "They Work for You" site about MP's you'll find that in the session 2006/7 he was joint first in claiming £22,110 in additional cost allowances and also claimed £5,226 in car allowances. So he should be alright for an increase in VED, then.

He has an interest in a company called Eco City Vehicles plc. What a surprise!

Edit-found out he's actually the bl00dy chairman!
    Last edited by MLC; 4th August 2008 at 13:54.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

Do as I say, not do as I do. Should be their Moto.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi (VXR Styling)

Engine : Z19DTH (Re-mapped)

Year : 04

Mileage : 110k

I'll still never be forced to go get a 1.2... dont care what the put tax up by...

It is rediculous tho. like how the tax goes up, petrol goes up and when people cant afford to drive to work they'l say use public transport. but all there prices have just gone up too. nevermind...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

Effective public transport doesn't exist putside major cities and possibly even towns.

Cloud cookoo land springs to mind

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Effective public transport doesn't exist putside major cities and possibly even towns.

Cloud cookoo land springs to mind
    couldnt agree more. I worked in Wigan for 2 years, travelling from York everday. I looked into the train. bus to the station 20mins, 2.5hrs with 2 changes plus a 20mins bus at the end 3.5 hours in total. I drove and it took 2hrs door to door when busy, 1hr 15mins when the traffic was clear. No contest for me as the costs were covered by the company, not me, so all I wanted was the easiest / quickest combo.

Major city to Major City is fine for public transport, buts that if your destinations are in the City. If they are on the outskirts, like suburbs and trading estates, then it hardly ever seems to make sense.

Its lovely to see that MPs are looking out for us in reasonable ways, (trollox)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well I think it's time they were poked in to from every angle, they've been messing with my job quite a lot over the last 6 yrs and they're not helping one bit, infact if they had their way they'd have a billion taxis per town just incase someone might need one at any given time.

Why are they allowed to escape scrutiny, Blair should've been hauled in over his 6 million mortgage, the excuse was it was based on his future earnings, but how many of us can roll into the bank and predict we are going to earn more in the future and qualify like this.

P155p0tt is another, his looney policy of craming the south with new houses is a joke, there are roads full of derelict houses up north, yet he fails to redevelop them, the excuse will be because it's too far away from London to get work and attract business, well if they hadn't taxed the tax to the limit industry would be still in business in a competitve way, but all that happens is all the other countries can make it for half what we can, and so the business goes their way instead.

I'm deffo gonna vote Tory next time, although I don't really want to, in 30 yrs of watching politics this is what I've learned.

- 78 Labour, country bankrupt and mass umemployed

79 - Cons, Thatcher gets up and does the Hitler call for pride

91 - Recession hits hard, Maggie wobbles

93? - Major replaces her, eases interest rates and imo was quite a good PM

97 - Economy is recovering, country is affluent, Labour arrive

- 08 Ecomony is down the pan, country is full of ppl who won't work and the figures are played with, ask yourself this, if all the kids at uni weren't there like it used to be how big would the dole list be then, incompetent Brown manages to sell gold at lowest price, doubles the price of all energy, allows crime to go unpunished and even suggests lowering the sentence for serious crimes, decides to backdate car tax on cars ppl bought in good faith up to 6 yrs ago.

This is like me picking up a punter, charging them on the meter and then knocking their door 4 yrs later and asking for some more money for a 4 yr old fare.

OUTOUTOUTOUTOUTOUTOUTOUT!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by VauxVeteran View Post
    Well I think it's time they were poked in to from every angle, they've been messing with my job quite a lot over the last 6 yrs and they're not helping one bit, infact if they had their way they'd have a billion taxis per town just incase someone might need one at any given time.

Why are they allowed to escape scrutiny, Blair should've been hauled in over his 6 million mortgage, the excuse was it was based on his future earnings, but how many of us can roll into the bank and predict we are going to earn more in the future and qualify like this.

P155p0tt is another, his looney policy of craming the south with new houses is a joke, there are roads full of derelict houses up north, yet he fails to redevelop them, the excuse will be because it's too far away from London to get work and attract business, well if they hadn't taxed the tax to the limit industry would be still in business in a competitve way, but all that happens is all the other countries can make it for half what we can, and so the business goes their way instead.

I'm deffo gonna vote Tory next time, although I don't really want to, in 30 yrs of watching politics this is what I've learned.

- 78 Labour, country bankrupt and mass umemployed

79 - Cons, Thatcher gets up and does the Hitler call for pride

91 - Recession hits hard, Maggie wobbles

97 - Economy is recovering, country is affluent, Labour arrive
    You've got your dates quite wrong my friend, hence your argument doesn't hold water. John Major was PM from 1990 onwards, not 1993. It has He who took the country into recession in 1991, and presided over inflation of 10% and interest rates of 15% (on two separate occasions). If anyone reading this doesn't like how much they spend on their mortgages at the moment, imagine what your repayments would be like if the Bank of England base rate was three times as high.

Love Labour or hate them, if you know anything about economics then you know they managed to achieve something that neither Margaret Thatcher or John Major achieved - 10 years of economic growth uninterrupted by recession. Love Brown or hate him (and I personally don't like him), he did manage to break the cycle between boom and bust.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by VauxVeteran View Post

[quote=Thomas1;653879]You've got your dates quite wrong my friend, hence your argument doesn't hold water. John Major was PM from 1990 onwards, not 1993. quote]
    Is that not why VV questioned the date.

Ref the OP, we get robbed day in day out on everything. To put it in simple terms cans of juice used to cost 45p, now it's 70p. Penny sweets are now 2p in most places

Sometimes I'm kinda happy being in the Military ATM as my jobs secure and I know I'll always get a pay increase every year and maybe one in April as well. And we get a free holiday in warm sunny climates

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas1 View Post
    Love Brown or hate him (and I personally don't like him), he did manage to break the cycle between boom and bust.
    So why are we seriously heading for recesion now then?

The first 10 years of Labour turned a national surplus into a national debt, and spiralling out of control.

It is easy to inherit a contry with an upturn in economy and claim the benefit as your own 2 years later.

This Labour Gov't has introduced innumerable extra tax and burden on the public. Inflation is now out of control, and the social fabric has dissolved into chaos.

IMO, of course.

Time for someone else at the helm.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas1 View Post
    if you know anything about economics ... Brown ... did manage to break the cycle between boom and bust.

If you know a little bit more about economics, you'll also know how Brown managed to do the above, and what problems it has stored up for the future, some of which are now coming home to roost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information