User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Car juddering / limping along... Spanner light also coming on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Car juddering / limping along... Spanner light also coming on.

I've got a funny feeling this isn't going to be a good response to this but... Is my car going up the swanny??

I drive (and only just picked this car up so gutted!!) a Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTi (150ps) which has just turned 76k miles.

Noticed this 'problem' first whilst nearly home after driving back from work yesterday. I put my foot down to overtake a car on the motorway in 6th gear and the car seemed to 'judder' into acceleration and continue as I overtook. So got off the motorway and on the road to my house slowed right down and accelerated back up again in 2nd and the same thing happened.

Now previous to this you put your foot down in 2nd and you knew about it when the turbo kicks in!! To be fair the turbo is still kicking in, just not like it used to.

Anyway, got in the car this morning turned the ignition and the car turned over... then kind of had trouble ticking over, you know like when you have to hit the throttle to keep the engine revving?? So started driving off and started experiencing the limping/juddering along again and then notice that the spanner light (with the car behind) kept showing while limping along.

The light seemed to come on below 2500 / 3000 rpm... above that seemed to go out but was still shuddering.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I've done a search and seen a couple of threads mentioning limping along but don't really go into detail about what the definition of 'limping along' is... maybe its because I'm a newbie I don't know

I'm just worried my car might have to go in for some work and it will be out of action I just love driving it!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really too sure, but have a look for the "swirl valve" threads. There are some pics on here. Could also be a number of other things. Really the best thing to do is get the fault codes read at your local V dealer
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DOH!! Not really the answer I wanted to hear... From what I've read on here you have to pay just to get the car looked at don't you?!

Its going back to the garage I bought it from this morning, just booked it in. See what they say I guess then go from there??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should have some form of cover with them so they should sort it. Yes you would have to pay for it, but it could be £35 or so well spent if your place say there is nothing wrong. Keep us informed of what they say
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will do, the car is down at the garage at the moment, they've been great so far... taken the car in straight away to get it seen to

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, Veccie is back and I'm well pleased with the service I've received.

I thoroughly recommend PAY AND BROWN CAR SALES in Rainham, Kent if anyone is looking for a car round this way!!

Anyway, plug over... The problem I had with my car was a problem with the EGR valve, I've listed a few details about EGR valve below so anyone with similar symptoms can relate back to this and hopefully solve some issues??

EGR Valve = Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve.

* The EGR valve controls formation of noxious emissions.
    * Rough idle and poor acceleration can be caused by a faulty EGR valve.

'The EGR valve, or Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve, is a vacuum controlled valve which allows a specific amount of your exhaust back into the intake manifold. This exhaust mixes with the intake air and actually cools the combustion process. Cooler is always better inside your engine. The exhaust your EGR valve recirculates also prevents the formation of Nitrogen related gases. These are referred to as NOX emissions, and are a common cause for failing emissions testing. Unfortunately, your EGR valve can get stuck, causing NOX gases to build up.

You'll know if your EGR valve is stuck or malfunctioning because your car will experience symptoms like rough idle and bucking on acceleration.'

Long and short of it is, if you experience any of these problems get it to a dealer/garage straight away as (especially on a diesel engine) an EGR valve that sticks open can blow holes in pistons!

Luckily I got mine very soon after symptoms happened and it has now been fixed

Thread Information