0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default First Aiders

This post is mainly directed at any Paramedics on the forum.

What is your opinion of First Aiders?

The reason I ask is that I have recently completed my refresher course to keep my HSE First Aid certificate. During the course the instructor began to tell us that our training was almost the same as that of paramedics (with the exception of some equipment and administering drugs). I felt compelled to tell him that he was talking B###ocks and ask how he could possibly compare a four day course with (what I believe is) months of training that paramedics undertake. He failed to provide a proper answer and moved on.

Who was right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parapaul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where are you m8

I've done a basic first aiders course too and there is no way on God's earth i would class myself as anything near a Paramedic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Caterman View Post
    I've done a basic first aiders course too and there is no way on God's earth i would class myself as anything near a Paramedic
    Same here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parapaul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where are you m8
    Someone called?

I think you were totally right, Del - your intructor was talking out of his 4rse.

Paramedic training has traditionally been an intensive 3 month course followed by 12 months on-road assessment to qualify as a Technician. Once you've qualified as a Tech, then it's more exams to qualify for the Paramedic course. If you pass those exams, it's another, even more intensive 3 month course followed by a month working alongside doctors and nurses in surgical theatres, A&E and Coronary Care to consolidate the classroom work.

An absolute minimum of 2 years, usually quite a bit longer because it's not a good idea to have the Paramedic knowledge without sufficient prior experience as a Tech to back it up, so most people leave it a couple of years or so before attempting the pre-paramedic exams.

Now, Paramedic training is Universty based, very similar to Nurse or Midwife training. 3 years of lectures and placements, but much more emphasis placed on the namby-pamby things like ethics, social care and infection control but still covering all the same stuff as the original course.

And apart from that....

I've currently got an arsenal of about 40 or 50 drugs for which I'm expected to know the indications, contra-indications, effects and side effects, and an estate car full of about £20,000 worth of kit which I'm expected to know how to use correctly and appropriately.

I've nothing against first aiders per se, I used to be one. My only gripe is when they won't back off once we arrive and hang around like a bad smell because they think they have a right to. Or when they fight their way to the front of a crowd to offer me pearls of wisdom when I'm trying to sort out someone collapsed on the floor.

But to compare first aiders to Paramedics, Technicians, or even the voluntary Community First Responders?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1/ If it's airways are blocked, open them..!
    2/ If it ain't breathing, shove some air into it..!
    3/ If it ain't got a pulse, push on it..!
    4/ If it's leaking red stuff, apply a dressing..!
    5/ If it's dead, 1,2,3 & 4 didn't work..!

Doctor FIL has left the building !

Have consideration for the deaf, if you're gunna fart, make it smell !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When 1,2,3,4 or 5 apply it's pretty straightforward.

When none of the above apply and you've still got someone in front of you who's about to expire, it's a little more tricky

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
    When 1,2,3,4 or 5 apply it's pretty straightforward.

When none of the above apply and you've still got someone in front of you who's about to expire, it's a little more tricky
    Which is why folks like you are so important!
    When I did my engineering apprenticeship in the 70's, emergency first aid was mandatory, and we all spent a happy afternoon learning to "grasp the bleeding part" and how to blow into a plastic doll and pound it's chest (funnily enough, one of my mates realized he was asthmatic when he couldn't blow it up and needed first aid himself!) and I've never forgotten the basic ABC (Airway, Breathing, Circulation) I'm relieved to say I've never had to use it.
    My wife was a first aider, and had to use her skills twice, once on a guy who fell off a ladder and left some of his arm on a wall bracket, and once on a poor old chap who collapsed outside her office building and stopped breathing. She got a nasty shock when she tried to feel for a pulse, as he had an artificial arm, but her and a colleague got him breathing again. After that she gave up being a first aider, as he died later on. He was 90, with a dicky heart.
    The folks who man our ambulances do that every day and night, seeing and handling much nastier things, and for that they have my admiration.

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is no way on God's earth i would class myself as anything near a Paramedic
    Totally agree.

Paramedic training has traditionally been an intensive 3 month course followed by 12 months on-road assessment to qualify as a Technician. Once you've qualified as a Tech, then it's more exams to qualify for the Paramedic course. If you pass those exams, it's another, even more intensive 3 month course followed by a month working alongside doctors and nurses in surgical theatres, A&E and Coronary Care to consolidate the classroom work.

An absolute minimum of 2 years, usually quite a bit longer because it's not a good idea to have the Paramedic knowledge without sufficient prior experience as a Tech to back it up, so most people leave it a couple of years or so before attempting the pre-paramedic exams.
    Thanks for the response.

I did think your training we be a alot more involved than our four days every three years.

I've currently got an arsenal of about 40 or 50 drugs for which I'm expected to know the indications, contra-indications, effects and side effects, and an estate car full of about £20,000 worth of kit which I'm expected to know how to use correctly and appropriately.
    He did say apart from the drugs and equipment.

I've nothing against first aiders per se, I used to be one. My only gripe is when they won't back off once we arrive and hang around like a bad smell because they think they have a right to. Or when they fight their way to the front of a crowd to offer me pearls of wisdom when I'm trying to sort out someone collapsed on the floor.
    Don't get me wrong I think the course is quite useful, it can't hurt to have some basic knowledge. I would always try and help someone if I could but anything more than a cut finger or sprained ankle I will be more than happy to let the professionals deal with.

I have no plans to buy some green overalls.

But to compare first aiders to Paramedics, Technicians, or even the voluntary Community First Responders?
    Excuse me for being a bit thick but what are Community First Responders?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well iv just applied for a paramedic job and its a 3 year course before even getting out on your own so you can tell how intense it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excuse me for being a bit thick but what are Community First Responders?[/quote]

There individuals like you and me who are trained to respond to calls from the ambulance service if your near to an incident, nothing major like a plane crash obviously but if saysomeone has collapsed and your near the ambulance service give you a tinkle on your mobily and off you go. A guy at my assessment yesterday was one and lived in hereford in quite an isolated place and got quite a few calls because the ambulances were quite far away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information