Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default What might have been ?

Many moons ago I answered an ad in the local paper for the positon of "Engineering Technition" it was not a large ad but a small one in the small columms,
    Any way about 3 weeks later I goet a phone call at 9 pm I answered it "hullo mate " as I was expecting a friend to be phoning me,No its Mr Smith [cannot remember his name] asking me to go for an interview in relation to the ad I had answered,
    Now the surprise bit as it did not say the name of the company or who it was in the advert...turns out to be
    The Motoring Which magazine test centre who were based at the time at Gosfield airdrome [unknown to me]
    So of I trot on the appointed day for my interview which included a maths test !!,a welding test,plus I was given a drawing of a machined item and asked to make it, to prove I could read the drawing and could use a lathe,mill etc ,
    Then a question & answer on various elements of the car and different problems and how to fix them.

Last of all was a driving test for this I went out on to the local roads as directed by my interviewer,all is going well then he tells me to drive as fast as I think as I can in a safe manner,unknown to him The back roads we were on I knew like the back of my hand due to the fact it was the area where I had done a lot of rallying,he soon said you have proven your point and we headed back to base.

The upshot of all this was that you were assigned a new car / motor bike which you checked over mechanicaly and you then had it for 6 -8 weks and took it over set test route in the Uk & europe.then did the report on it which in turn was published in the magazine
    6 weeks holday a year and something like £1800 pa [well it 1973] a lot of money then !,
    "We will let you know "
    Now comes the down side because at the time I was a service engineer working on sea going oil tankers,I get the phone call the night before I am going away on another job,the interview for the final 3 applicants was the tuesday of the following week and I could not get to it ! and they would not give me an alternative date !.
    so there ends my story could I have ended up on Top Gear ? something I will never know.
    thats life
    I found out later I knew someone who had also applied he did not even get to the interview stage and he was more qualified than me

Any one else had a similar "what might have been ?

Pretending to be unmarked Police in my T5...
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have, but its not suitable for a family website!!! LOL!!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I could have gone on the oil rigs at age 21 and made a fortune, but things at home stopped me.
    There again, one of my mates did, made a fortune, bought several houses, got married and divorced, became an alchoholic and lost the lot.
    He now lives in a council flat and works on the IT helpdesk for a local council. So who knows?

Phil

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I don't think about things like that, no point. What will be will be and what has happened is in the past. Always look for the now and for the future. Best way.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer Reynolds View Post
    I don't think about things like that, no point. What will be will be and what has happened is in the past. Always look for the now and for the future. Best way.
    I agree mate, why live in the past.

It will only depress you and cause problems.

Nice to have memories and thoughts of what you could've had, but I beleive what you dont have, you wont miss.

A case of "what you dont know cant hurt you"!

Bye bye Vec B
    - Hello Siggy!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

tottaly agree with vauxmang & sawer

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by vauxmang View Post
    I agree mate, why live in the past.

It will only depress you and cause problems.

Nice to have memories and thoughts of what you could've had, but I beleive what you dont have, you wont miss.

A case of "what you dont know cant hurt you"!
    Oh definitely, the good memories and stuff are fantastic, but those are actual tangible realities that have happened, not based on a random sequence of events.. If that makes sense, haha.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Age 18, just passed my A-levels and as far as I was concerned I was going into the Royal Marines. Being young and cocky, stupidly failed the fitness first time around, but inbetween then and the next assessment, met a girl.

It got serious and I made the decision to back out of the Marines, I didn't think it was fair to have someone always wondering whether I was coming home or not.

I never regretted making that decision, but to this day I will wonder what life would have been like. I'd have had 12 years in by now, I think I would have been Captain, possibly Major, and if my plans then worked out, would have been deeply ensconsed in some special forces stuff too (SBS - google it - double hard )

But, I'm also fairly sure if I'd gone down that route I'd never have joined this club, never have met any of the top people here and wouldn't be with Sam now.

So I'm happy with my lot now, but I think I'll always wonder what could have been.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
    Age 18, just passed my A-levels and as far as I was concerned I was going into the Royal Marines. Being young and cocky, stupidly failed the fitness first time around, but inbetween then and the next assessment, met a girl.

It got serious and I made the decision to back out of the Marines, I didn't think it was fair to have someone always wondering whether I was coming home or not.

I never regretted making that decision, but to this day I will wonder what life would have been like. I'd have had 12 years in by now, I think I would have been Captain, possibly Major, and if my plans then worked out, would have been deeply ensconsed in some special forces stuff too (SBS - google it - double hard )

But, I'm also fairly sure if I'd gone down that route I'd never have joined this club, never have met any of the top people here and wouldn't be with Sam now.

So I'm happy with my lot now, but I think I'll always wonder what could have been.
    Years ago it may not have been too bad a move, but I would not recommend it to any one these days. My daughter was discharged from the army last year (RAMC) after 14 yrs, she was injured while serving in Iraq and was given bad blood which resulted in her getting hepititis C.
    The Mod have conveniently lost all her medical records etc. They have been total sh*ts to her. Her husband, my son-in-law is currently in the marines and serving at camp bastion Afganistan, its his second tour there in less than 18 months. TBH he seems to love it, but its sheer hell on his family and us for that matter. He has still got 7 yrs to do to get his 22 yrs in . We think he is actually a little selfish for ignoring the feelings of his family. No... Matey... you did right... not to go in. I was in myself for a long time many years ago (RE) however, and I dont say this lightly... I think one has to be a mug to go in these days, and it hurts me to say that.. but sadly its true. Does anyone (especially those in power) really care or lose sleep whenever another soldier is killed, of course not, the only people it affects are the family members themselves, no one else!. We treat our troops abysmally, and IMO not one single life is worth losing to fulfill our current pathetic foreign policies.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron43 View Post
    Does anyone (especially those in power) really care or lose sleep whenever another soldier is killed, of course not, the only people it affects are the family members themselves, no one else!. We treat our troops abysmally, and IMO not one single life is worth losing to fulfill our current pathetic foreign policies.
    I sympathise completely with what you're saying, I wholeheartedly disagree with fighting someone else's war.

However, as for the people in power not caring, I doubt they ever have. It's not their problem. And it will always be worse for the loved ones than for the troops themselves because at the end of the day it's a choice they made to join up - the same choice young men and women have been making for years. The families just have to deal with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information