Thread: Reformatting hard drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Reformatting hard drive

It looks like I'm going to have to reformat my hard drive on my laptop. I'm able to use it on a seperate user account I set up for Mrs MLC, but if I try to start my account, it completely freezes.

I had trouble with the usb drivers when trying to install a phone the other day. I've just bought another phone, installed that software, wouldn't recognise that phone and then all went t*ts up.

Not being a techie, just what is reformatting going to do. I've got the recovery cd that I have to use, but will it wipe all my other settings etc.

The main reason I ask, is that I can't remember my password for my internet connection. Don't want to get locked out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It will wipe everything on your PC and the recovery disk will put it back into the state it was in when you got it. What operating system is it? If its XP then its quite easy to copy all your files over, but things lie passwords will need to be re entered. I think you can roll back with XP if a driver has screwed your system. A real IT peep will be along in a minute....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Quote Originally Posted by MLC View Post
    It looks like I'm going to have to reformat my hard drive on my laptop. I'm able to use it on a seperate user account I set up for Mrs MLC, but if I try to start my account, it completely freezes.

I had trouble with the usb drivers when trying to install a phone the other day. I've just bought another phone, installed that software, wouldn't recognise that phone and then all went t*ts up.

Not being a techie, just what is reformatting going to do. I've got the recovery cd that I have to use, but will it wipe all my other settings etc.

The main reason I ask, is that I can't remember my password for my internet connection. Don't want to get locked out.
    Reformatting will remove all data from the hard drive - and should not be attempted as you have given an example - make sure all data you require and wish to keep is put onto CD-R or DVD-R or flashdrives etc.

But before you do anything - I would phone up and get them to reset your password but - if you can get onto the internet no bother just now - whoever your Internet provider is, the software that you need for access should have some form of setting to change the password - although you shouldn't need a password if you have a router.

BTW who are you with?

DONT REFORMAT JUST NOW!!!

Gazza4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if you have the windows xp disk, you can load it up and select repair...try that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Does Mrs MLC's account have admin privilages? If it went tits up when you were trying to install something, windows might have taken a System Restore point. If it has, you should be able to revert windows back to how it was before you installed the phone software

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Not got a Windows disc..just a 'recovery' CD. (Windows XP)

I can't save anything from my account, it locks up as soon as I go into it. The wife's account won't let me do a system recovery because she's not the 'admin' manager.

I think I'll have to give my internet provider a ring and see if they'll give me my account details. (I normally save all this sort of stuff..but 'er indoors decided to have a 'clear out' )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Could give this a try to gain admin access?

http://abhinavsingh.com/blog/2008/07...guest-account/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

Quote Originally Posted by MLC View Post
    Not got a Windows disc..just a 'recovery' CD. (Windows XP)

I can't save anything from my account, it locks up as soon as I go into it. The wife's account won't let me do a system recovery because she's not the 'admin' manager.

I think I'll have to give my internet provider a ring and see if they'll give me my account details. (I normally save all this sort of stuff..but 'er indoors decided to have a 'clear out' )
    Do you need this to access the internet?

Who are you with?

Gazza4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if you go into safe mode when it boots up u should get an administrator account u can log into (might be a password on it), then you could change Mrs MLC's account to administrator status and lots of other things.

Ex Vec-C Admin / Founder Duncan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by sotonjames View Post
    if you go into safe mode when it boots up u should get an administrator account u can log into (might be a password on it),....
    You can only use that option if you gave the account a password when installing Windows. If no password was set then that Administrator account is no use. It'd done like that for obvious reasons i.e. so that somebody can't just reboot your PC in safe mode and then have Admin access. He should still be able, from memory, to boot up in safe mode and try and log into his own account. It could be some setting/conflict that is causing it to freeze.

Paul, how do you access your internet? Is it through a router? If so then any user name/password etc. will be stored in the router. If it's a cable modem then it'll be a login on the PC and so you'll need to know what those details are.

Also, how do you access your e-mail? Is it through something like Outlook?, or is it a web based e-mail service? If the first one then you'll need to make sure you back up the data before you reformat, if you do that, or you'll lose all your previous e-mails. Same goes obviously for any other data you may have on the drive - photos, music, documents etc. It'll all need backed up onto another media.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information