Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Sxi

Engine : 2.2 dti

Year : 2002

Default Broken spring big boo

Hi guys, I noticed my rear tyre's wearing on the inside so i assume the wheel alingment is out. I booked her in and said also the steering wheel does not sit straight. They said no problem they would sort that at the same time. But first things first they would check the suspention for wear before doing any alterations. So yesterday she went in and later i went back to collect her. I asked how bad was she, they said she was bang on and needed no adjustment. So i asked why is she wearing the rear tyre's, they said it was poor tyre's and they were feathering so i need two new back tyres. Okay i thought so i went away but two days before she was due in she started making a knocking noise from the front, i assumed they would find something when they checked the suspention but they never mentioned anything and i forgot to ask. So tonight on the way home from work i was nearly home when there was a loud bang and a judder through the steering wheel. So i drove home slowly and checked to find about 4" of the front spring has snapped off, looks like it has been for a little while, i'm a bit peeved at the thought the garage was meant to have checked all this but never mind. Any how do i replace the 1 broken spring with genuine vaux or do i go for 4 e-bach springs with 30mm drop minding i have little 16" sxi alloys, would it look daft
    sorry for the long winded story

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

get it lowered m8, and no it wont look silly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Change the 4 springs and go back to a different garage as feathering is incorrect wheel alignment.

Eibachs are stronger than VX springs so will last.
    Last edited by John35; 22nd July 2008 at 21:04. Reason: speeeling

Regular Member woody in shetland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers guy's, Eibachs it is then. I near crapped myself when the bottom of the spring pinged out. It must have been wedged in for a little while what a bang it went with and rumbled along the underside of the car before flying out the back . I would like to upgrade to larger wheels but now i think it'll have to go on hold again. Getting married next year so the better half probably woud'nt be to impressed lol
    Cheers Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

vauxhall should replace it for free but they wont unless its under warranty of course.i have had two springs replaced and 2 shock absorbers replaced in the last 12 months and i have read of loads of stories about problems with the vectras suspension,obviously the suspension is not fit for purpose and vauxhall know this.
    alot of people just upgrade springs,shocks etc at an average cost of around £350 (and except they have been shafted and that vauxhall will never do a recall)ive never had problems with any other car suspension in nearly 20 years of driving.
    rant over suspension on the vectra c is a joke

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The probelm is not just with Vx,i had a mondeo before the vectra and both my front springs broke and only found out when it went in for its 3rd MOT,think it must be down to sub-standard metal they're using and as mac12 said not fit for purpose,go down the Eibach route and you'll be well happy,good luck m8.................

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you decide not to lower, one of mine snapped earlier this year and an independent garage fitted two new aftermarket front springs for around £180. No problems with them and a good deal I thought

Regular Member woody in shetland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers guys, i'm not too sure at the moment, priced up springs today approx £90inc vat for 1 genuine vaux or £55 for an aftermarket spring. But here's the dilema i'm shortly needing 2 back tyre's and probably 2 fronts sooner or later and 16's seem to be dearer than 17's so do i push the boat out and get a 17" alloy wheel and tyre deal and bung on the aftermarket spring. I couldn't justify Eibach and alloys at the moment. Also the garage said they would set wheel alingment for free after i've done whatever i plan to do. I'm leaning towards alloys now and perhaps Eibachs later.
    Cheers Woody

Thread Information