User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petrol in deisel 2.2dti now won't run - help!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused Petrol in deisel 2.2dti now won't run - help!!

My wife managed to put half a tank of unleaded into my 2.2 DTI vectra, which was already half full of Deisel. There is a moral here but to late now for me....I cleaned out the fuel lines, completely emptied the tank and changed the fuel filter, then refilled with Deisel. I didn't use the Vauxhall bleed tool, but made sure all fuel lines and filter were full of Deisel before starting. After 2 cranks hey presto, it started and ran fine for a good 10-15 min on and off, including revving up to 3000 rpm. When I got it all finished I set off for a run up the road, it went OK for about half a mile, then stuttered and cut out. Now I can't get it to start. The fuel filter was empty on examination, but I have got all the lines full of fuel and set up a temporary fuel tank to feed the filter and take the return fuel from the pump, which seems to be circulating fuel OK. I did this before using the actual tank and it worked a treat. There are no warning lights etc on, but no way will it start. There is definately no contamination still present, anyone any ideas I am stuck now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

may need fuel system pressureising. its a high pressure fuel pump iirc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Any warning lights?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sig View Post
    Any warning lights?
    As above, there are no warning lights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by rob 2.2dti View Post
    may need fuel system pressureising. its a high pressure fuel pump iirc
    It ran fine as described above to begin with. I am not aware it needs pressurising, it is recommended to bleed it to make sure the HP pump is full of fuel and there are no air leaks, but as far as I am aware the only pressurised part will be after the HP pump??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

If the filter is empty, then it doesn't matter what the HP pump is doing. Is there a lift pump on it? Is there also a priming pump on the filter, either a bulb or a plunger?

What happens if you fill the filter housing with diesel?

I would have thought that the high presure side would be self bleeding, if the engine is running of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I realise if the filter is empty then it's not going to start, but I have filled the filter and even the fual line down to the pump with Deisel, and it appears to be circulating. There is not a priming pump, plunger etc on the filter. Its just the feed from the tank into the filter, then from the filter to the HP pump. I tried it again this morning and it nearly started at one point but I have now flattened the battery, so I guess it must be sort of OK given that it did run for a bit until I drove it as described. does it need bleeding or pressurising in any way before it will start? I know older Deisel engines needed bleeding

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Paul from Derby View Post
    My wife managed to put half a tank of unleaded into my 2.2 DTI vectra, which was already half full of Deisel. There is a moral here but to late now for me....I cleaned out the fuel lines, completely emptied the tank and changed the fuel filter, then refilled with Deisel. I didn't use the Vauxhall bleed tool, but made sure all fuel lines and filter were full of Deisel before starting. After 2 cranks hey presto, it started and ran fine for a good 10-15 min on and off, including revving up to 3000 rpm. When I got it all finished I set off for a run up the road, it went OK for about half a mile, then stuttered and cut out. Now I can't get it to start. The fuel filter was empty on examination, but I have got all the lines full of fuel and set up a temporary fuel tank to feed the filter and take the return fuel from the pump, which seems to be circulating fuel OK. I did this before using the actual tank and it worked a treat. There are no warning lights etc on, but no way will it start. There is definately no contamination still present, anyone any ideas I am stuck now?
    UPDATE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Try doing it with the car on a slope with the front end lower than the back. Fill the filter with diesel and then try starting.

Did this with mine after changing fuel filter and it would'nt start

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Update to this problem...

I have now managed to get the engine started, and the problem seems to be with the supply from the fuel tank (Which is definately clear of any petrol). I can drive the car using a temporary fuel tank (Pop bottle!) with no problem, but when I reconnect the fuel tank it runs for a period of time and then stalls. The filter bowl does seem to contain fuel at this point, but I have done this several times and it is definately the fuel tank that is causing the problem. I did notice, when cleaning the tank, that there was a small red rubber seal covering about 5 small holes in the top of the tank-mounted filter assembly. I lifted this up and it came away in my fingers and I didn't replace it. Does anyone know what this is/does and if it might be the problem? Thinking about it, it could be some sort of non-return valve?? Seems a very small thing but I guess it is there for a purpose. Failing this does the system have to be bled in some particular way to get the fuel flowing to the filter correctly?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information