Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Limp Home mode

My car has done this several times now I donít know whether any body else has noticed and experienced this or even if it is not related, the car has done about 23,000 miles only itís a 3.0ltr diesel Auto 6 speed box and this is what I have noticed.
    When the auto box changes up too early dropping the engine revs below 1500rpm I am most likely to get a problem, it does this when warming up or after being driven at a constant speed for a fair length of time and then driving slow like coming off the motorway into traffic on a side road, the auto selects a gear that drops the revs to just over 1000 and before long it goes into ďlimp homeĒ mode and the spanner light comes on. If I stop switch off for 30sec then restart everything is fine, the spanner light goes out itís as if the engine management system throws a wobbly and has to be reset.
    My faith in the dealers sorting it out is poor but Iím going to log the times and dates of when it happens and see if I can get it sorted before the warranty runs out, last time I was charged nearly £80 for hooking up to the analyser which found nothing stored even though the Mechanic symbol did come on, I think you have to get it read before turning off and resetting, if the light stays on a code is stored if it goes out the reset must wipe the history. My normal way of negating the auto is to select manual and keep the revs above 1500 but it is very frustrating I might as well have bought a manual box, another way is to floor the throttle and give the engine management a different driving pattern it then behaves correctly for a few miles but it gets difficult explaining to the police that my car needs a burn-out or it goes to sleepÖ.!!!
    Does any one else suffer this problem..?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If its stored a fault the spanner light will light up and go out everytime you start the engine for the first 25 or so restarts. Although mine doesn't. Best bet is when it does it again, take it to the dealer with the light on and leave someone in the car, with the engine running so you can go in and tell them. They should read it there and then. As its got a fault code I can't see how they could then charge you a fee for reading it. Also see if you can replicate the fault so you could take them out and show them how and when it happens.
    Now I need a turbo to keep up!

Thread Information