Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default What a Poxy day.

Started off well enough, had to take the lorry to Newbury for its MOT at 9.30. I prepped it as best I could on Saturday, Steam cleaning as much as possible to make it at least reasonably clean for the examiner, bearing in mind it's a baby bin truck. It had been mechanically prepped by a dealer who shall remain nameless.

Gave it a small going over again this morning, with some polish found in the store room, and back to blacked all the plastics. It looked a treat!

Got through most of the test, but couldn't get the N/S Headlight aim anywhere near, also the O/S/R inner tyre was a bit low on tread, but legal, so it obviously failed, much to my total frustration, bearing in mind a failure goes on your operators license, possibly affecting your 'good repute'.

I phoned in, told them what had happened and it was decided to carry on with a few local collections. Another phone call soon after, the truck was rebooked for 14.10. Go to the (other) dealer branch next to the test centre to get the aim sorted and go back in.

Arrived at 13.15, plenty of time to get the light sorted. Until I noticed a hissing sound. Yep, O/S/R tyre! After a few expetives, I shot to ATS as fast as Icould go, bearing in mind the tyre was going down. Luckily it seemed to be only the valve, which was quickly sorted.

Back to the Garage at 13.55, mechanics nowhere to be seen. At 14.25, they appeared, luckily the test centre are a bit flexible with their timings!

It wasn't a simple adjustment. Before I joined the company, the truck had had a whack, bending the bumper and bracket, but not enough to show any cosmetic damage. For half an hour we had been trying in vain to get the aim right, but it just wouldn't happen. It was only as another mechanic walked over and said he thought the lorry looked odd, it was realised that the N/S corner had been pushed back about an inch, a quick strip down of all the trim, and the bumper bar (which holds the headlamp unit) was slightly bent.

An air jack later and some very tentative pushes had it looking right, but we had no reference point, all we could do was hope for the best, so I headed back for the retest.

As I joined the que, I heard it again. Hissssss, poxy tyre was leaking air again!

Thankfully, all I needed was a retest on the light, so headed into the bay, it passed straight away!

Our tyre company couldn't make it to the depot, so I decided to nurse the lorry there instead, still had some air in it, but not enough. Again all was going well, it even rained slightly, which I welcomed thinking it would cool the low tyre.

Then there was an almighty crash, a flash of light which temporarily stunned me and another crack. A tree had been hit by lightening just in front of me and was heading for the cab! A quick swerve didn't do the tyre much good at all, as I realised while lurching all over the road.

Got to the tyre place just as the heavens really opened, flash flooding the local area, after joining in the clean up operation and windy gunning the wheels off for them, they changed the tyre for me in double quick time.

I finished work at 18.30 in the end! 12 hour day and sod all done! Hopefully it'll be better tomorrow.....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Jesus, hope the rest of the week gets better for you!

I assume that you're having a glass of wine this evening then?!?!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Funny you say that.....

Problems Posted