Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Car reg query

I know we are not supposed to post up full registration numbers, especially when the car is then detailed in the post. My query is how can this info be used for anything?

If someone wants to clone a car for some reason like a burglary or whatever reason, then what can you learn off of a registration posted on here with details that they can't aquire from going to any car park by them, or anywhere in the uk, and looking at any one of the cars in there? The colours visible to the eye and so is everything else you need. Certainly at least more so than any reg details posted on an internet forum

Am I missing something?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

it's just forum courtesy really, to hide others plates.. some folks may not have their cars quite insured for the mods correctly, or have a car under warranty they don't want folks to know they have tuned...

a sort of.. if you blank mine, i'll blank yours agreement really..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers for the prompt reply Mark. Makes sense

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

From the cloning point of view it's a great resource to find an exact model in the exact colour in the correct year.

A friend of our had her car cloned recently (although nothing to do with a website) and she's ended up changing to a private plate because of all the hassle. The cloned car was used in an armed robbery about 40 or so miles south of here.

I guess as well if you wouldn't want to clone a local car found in the car park.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Stevel View Post
    From the cloning point of view it's a great resource to find an exact model in the exact colour in the correct year.

A friend of our had her car cloned recently (although nothing to do with a website) and she's ended up changing to a private plate because of all the hassle. The cloned car was then used in an armed robbery about 40 or so miles south of here.

I guess as well if you wouldn't want to clone a local car found the car park.
    Understand that, but you can go anywhere and get those same details by just looking.

I know what you mean though and a mate of mines brother in law had his car cloned and used in ram raid years ago.

The possible dodgy insurance mods and work done on unpaid for cars etc makes perfect sense. Not that any of us would do such a thing

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Matty H View Post
    Understand that, but you can go anywhere and get those same details by just looking.

I know what you mean though and a mate of mines brother in law had his car cloned and used in ram raid years ago.

The possible dodgy insurance mods and work done on unpaid for cars etc makes perfect sense. Not that any of us would do such a thing
    ...and that's the point. Get them to go elsewhere. i.e not clone a members car

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Matty H View Post
    If someone wants to clone a car for some reason like a burglary or whatever reason, then what can you learn off of a registration posted on here with details that they can't aquire from going to any car park by them, or anywhere in the uk, and looking at any one of the cars in there? The colours visible to the eye and so is everything else you need. Certainly at least more so than any reg details posted on an internet forum
    Yep, but what's less work? Traipse around looking for a car of the right year, trim spec, engine size etc. to match what you want to clone, or log onto an owner's site and trawl through in the comfort of your armchair?

Also as Mark said, people simply may not want their cars to be recognised on an open forum due to them being on a RR or a number of other reasons.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I don't mind anyone knowing my reg, it's: JED1

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

This subject interests me a lot. Now I am in the Army and have received intelligence training in the past so I have a head start. A lot can be learnt from a registration number. The number itself cannot be traced through the DVLA, but the subject matter of the photo will be of interest. Is it parked outside your house? or in a well known supermarket car park? The rest of the information can be gleaned from the persons profile do they have an unusual user name, or are there more photos?

When you take this info and type it into a search engine you will find out a lot more. I'm not going to give any more info on searching as it is unfair to people.

However it took me 25 minutes to locate the general area/street where somebody lives. They have left their reg number on their profile. Their name starts with a letter that appears early in the alphabet and when searched on the net produces all the social networks they use (This info gives me more photos and an actual postcode) and all the gaming sites they visit. using the AA site I can find the street and because he took the photo outside his house (I assume) I only have to hang around for a bit in the evening to locate the vectra c with the reg number plate and the house. I will stop their but it is really that easy

My point of this post is think about what you post in the photo - take a few minutes to travel to a well known spot to take the photo and not outside your house.

If you have a user name that you use for every website then think of changing it certainly don't use the same one for a forum and a social network.

I'm not trying to scare everyone but I hope that gives you some warning,

mainly just think about all the info you give out

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Meriva OPC - you make some interesting points, but it's even worse than you think, you can indeed trace a number through the DVLA - there's a form on their website, it only costs £2.50 per trace, and all they ask is that you have a legitimate reason for wanting the information. That can be anything from "the car was illegally parked on my private ground last week and I need to levy a parking fine" to "he scraped my bumper in sainsburys and didn't leave his details" etc etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information