Thread: Car polishing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Car polishing

Hi there, im wanting to give my car a polish so it looks nice and gets rid of the swirls that someone else put on it plus a few light scratches,does anybody know of any good machines that dont cost the earth (heard the halfords 240v one is good), is a dual action or a rotary best and also will i need a polish to remove the scatches and then a finer polish for the shine? many thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Dual action is a must for first timers...for new users i reccomend Meguairs Scratch-x as it won't overwork the paint.. it 'depletes' as you use it so it won't hurt the paint like T-cut will (never use t-cut)....

use the scratch-x and then go onto a good polish.. then put wax on top to give a lasting deep shine....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

sorry to jump on the back of this, can you recommend a good polish, & glass cleaner (currently using damp newspaper, which is surprisingly effective) I am also just about to google & you tube "clay bar"...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks mark, can you recommend any good dual action polishers, also as you have the same colour car what polish and wax do you use? thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The halfords machine doesn't have enough grunt for swirl removal, to remove swirls you need to apply pressure and they stop when you apply pressure. So save the £30 for the halfords machine and put it towards something like the G220, UDM or Porta cable which will be able to remove swirls with the correct products and technique.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Are they dual action? as i have been advised that they are best to start with. Also the Halford one got a good review on auto express! I dont have £££'s to spend at the moment but want to get the car looking good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

They are random orbital. The review on auto express based their reviews on length of the wire and how easy it was to hold?

Dual action is best to start with as they can't genaerate the heat required to cause damage to the paint as easy as a rotary polisher. Don't take that as they are totally safe but compared to a rotary they are a lot safer.

They may be ok for buffing off waxes and polishes but I find it just as easy to wipe over with a microfibre and has less chance of casueing swirls etc.

I would save your £30 and work by hand, you can get reasonable results working by hand ok not full swirl removal but use autoglym SRP and you will mask most swirl marks then apply a few coats of a paste wax and it will maintain the finish for a few month even longer if you top the wax up every so often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

my car has swirls all over as you can see in the sun light and the odd couple of light scatches, if i got the machine you say, what would be best to use, meguiars #80 #83 etc or would the megs scratch x do a all in one good job

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It is always best to use the least abrasive product to get the job done. so do a test patch with #80 on a soft pad and see what results you get, if it works then attack the whole car and see if it works out if not then step up either the product or the pad and see how that goes. I was able to remove all but deeper scratches on my vectra with that combination. I have done an ultra blue astra with a yellow polishing pad and #80 then stepped up to #83 for some deeper scratches then finished with #80.

I havn't used scratch X by machine so I can't comment on that, working by hand it works but is hard work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thanks little john, as you can probably tell i havent done this before so just wanted to check what sort of pads i would need for a machine/ where to get them from.

Thread Information