0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re-map??

This is probably going to sound really stupid, but what does a re-map actually do? I know it plays around with a lot of parameters, but does it up the pressure in the turbo?

What I'm after doing is increase the pressure in the turbo and try to eliminate some of the lag. Would a re-map sort this for me, or could I increase the pressure some other way and still keep the tuning box?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi AJA it will iron out all the flat spots, over fuelling etc which will in turn mean the turbo will spool up faster.............also I'm not sure if you can fit a boost controller to the standard turbo but that might be an option..........if you can you could fit a "Dual Boost" mod i.e. another solenoid which is connect through a switch.......for the higher boost so that it only runs high boost when needed and not all the time.............I think that's rite

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on the quality of the remap Alex - but yes, turbo boost pressure is one variable that can be altered by a remap. As long as the turbo Boost Control Valve can be controlled electronically (by the ECU). But just upping the boost pressure may not be the best thing to so. There are probably a number of other parameters that need to be adjusted to match.

A remap will also alter other variables such as fuelling (AFR) and timing. When I spoke to BSR in Sweden about mine, I've forgotton the number of variables the remap alters - but it was a lot!

P.S. There is a way to up the pressure manually on the turbo itself by adjusting the actuator rod, but it's not the best thing to do. That setting has been matched to the engine. Altering it can cause problems. One guy on VS did this on his Vec C 2.0T (as he was too stingy to get a remap! ) and ended up putting the car into limp mode!

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah Duncan just adjusting boost pressure manually could be very serious........blown engine serious........you can't go to high on boost before you have to think about forged pistons.........standard will melt

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on older "manual" turbo cars the easiest way to up boost pressure was to fit a bleed valve. this is a tiny tap that went between the pressure sensor on the tube that goes from actuator to the plenum chamber. the pressure in these tubes dictated when the actuator opens and by fitting a controlled leak in this pipe the actuator could be fooled into opening at higher boosts

on more modern engines, say from the C20 LET, an electronic safety device is fitted that opens at a slightly higher pressure that the actuator in the event of actuator failure. used to be called an overboost switch and is now called an Electronic Boost Controller. This addition meant that bleed valves or altering the spring rate of the actuator (by adjusting the threaded rod that goes between the inlet and exhaust sides of the turbo) wasn't possible untill the electonics had been adjusted too, i.e the ECU.

The other benefit of a remap, as Duncan says is that it will alter feulling, timing and amend all the readings of the sensors so that "limp home mode" doesnt occur.

if you take your car to a rolling road tuner they should be able to get far better results than a tuning box, and will negate the need for one, as the remap can up the fuel pressure far better than even a digital tuning box can, because it will work WITH all the other adjustments.

If you want to brak that magic 200BHP barrier i suggest that this is deffo the way forward.

Duncan - I really interested to know how a remap can up the boost pressurewithout adjusting the actuator, which surely needs to be done manually? I ask cos I dont know, but its obviously been done by BSR on yours, do you have any details?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^that's exactly what I was trying to say Pte

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pte
    Duncan - I really interested to know how a remap can up the boost pressurewithout adjusting the actuator, which surely needs to be done manually? I ask cos I dont know, but its obviously been done by BSR on yours, do you have any details?
    When I spoke to BSR Sweden I was asking them a number of questions about the remap. They were guarded about some answers so never got too much information!

When I was talking to Turbo Technics yesterday, the guy was explaining it in great detail (about increasing boost) and I understood what he was saying at the time - but now it's kinda gone a bit fuzzy!!

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pte - It's just come back to me!

The wastegate valve is electro-magnetically controlled, and the point at which this opens can be controlled by the ECU!

D

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers guys that's food for thought.

I've had a meet up with Mike from Diagnostix UK today at Minisport in Burnley and asked him the very same question. He suggests going for the full remap to increase pressure in the turbo (which he does by the way) or wait for the next generation of tuning box which will control more than just the Common Rail and still be fully removeable.

By the way my reading on the Rolling Road today with a CR1 tuning box fitted was 198.5bhp, with a very smooth and steep curve. I'm over the moon with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice one!!

the colder air at this time of year has maybe helped, plus i reckon engines get quicker as they get older!!

that 200bhp is just waiting to be surpassed eh?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information