Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Buying advice please!

Hi,
    I am going to look at a couple of vectras (2006 models) this weekend (both private sales) anything I should look out for in particular?

with one of the cars I shall be meeting the seller on a supermarket car park (not at his house, my request as it’s a fair journey & he has kindly said he will meet me just off the motorway)

any advice regarding this ? shall I ask him to bring the V5 ? ask him for the plate
    No so I can do a data check before travelling ? etc etc, as all I have is his mobile number..

going to use RAC data check, 3 checks for £12....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

For the guy who isn't meeting you at his house, explain that you obviously need to be sure he is who he says he is (i.e. the registered keeper) so ask him to bring his driving licence along and make sure the name/address on it matches the details on the V5. If he gets shirty about this on the phone, or "forgets" to bring it with him on the day, then walk away - plenty of other cars available to buy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
    Hi,
    I am going to look at a couple of vectras (2006 models) this weekend (both private sales) anything I should look out for in particular?

with one of the cars I shall be meeting the seller on a supermarket car park (not at his house, my request as it’s a fair journey & he has kindly said he will meet me just off the motorway)

any advice regarding this ? shall I ask him to bring the V5 ? ask him for the plate
    No so I can do a data check before travelling ? etc etc, as all I have is his mobile number..

If you decide to buy the car from the car park guy, I would suggest going back a few days after agreeing the sale but then making the dreaded journey to the persons home address!

Sometimes data checks can be thumbs up but there is always something that could go a miss.

If I ever sell a car, I usually make sure I dont meet at a car park or destination of the buyers choice as I dont have nothing to hide. I know distance can be an issues, but sometimes its worthwhile "going that extra mile" so to speak, and if you are handing over a decent wad of cash, I think you should make the return trip to do the handover...etc!

HTH.

Oh and another thing....sometimes Data Checks wont reveal police interest, woth giving the DVLA a call with the full reg and make and model and ask them if thereis any police interst pending etc?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I sold my car at my girlfriends house. I told him straight away when he arrived the situation and I said we can go there on the test drive, he said I will meet you there when I collect the car. As said above if he forgotten or it's at home walk away.

I suggest taking someone who knows about cars I have paid a mechanic in the past as he was cheaper than the AA checks. Check the history, poor acident repair damage and has it been looked after. Look at a few first, I normally go to forecourts after hours then I can wander around without a salesman watching. This way I get to know the car and what to look for and what is not as it should be.

Always do data checks at home then you know and can ask about number of owners and how long they have had the car etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Rebellion View Post
    For the guy who isn't meeting you at his house, explain that you obviously need to be sure he is who he says he is (i.e. the registered keeper) so ask him to bring his driving licence along and make sure the name/address on it matches the details on the V5. If he gets shirty about this on the phone, or "forgets" to bring it with him on the day, then walk away - plenty of other cars available to buy.
    Not ideal, but I'd ask for :
    V5
    Driving Licence
    Insurance Cert for the vehicle
    Some other form of identity, utility statement, etc

Even if one of those is missing, I'd still give the car a once over then say "nah"

Also if you are test driving the vehicles, check with your insurance company if you need to advise them of any change of use
    I had a relative that performed a test drive on a car, thinking they were covered at least third party on their fully comp, only to discover the policy document states "approved on contacting the insurer and receiving authority"
    The matter went to court and they got a IN10 endorsement!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

thanks for all the replies.

its at my request that I meet him off the motorway due to the travel.

I think If everything looks good I will ask to follow him back to his house before I hand over any cash, & check the docs, he is more than likely legit.

regarding the car, anything in particular to look for ?

& with the data-check, just had a quick look at hpicheck.com, £19.99
    a check, compared to RAC (£12 for 3 checks) the only difference I can see is the guarantee (£30K & £5K) anyone have any views, preferences on car-check companies ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I always use RAC for £5.00....has come up trumps for me before I bought my SRi as I nearly bought an Elegance which had outstanding finance. Checked with the finance company and not a singl payment for 8 months....so got lucky. I would say RAC is ok for you too, but some people prefer to go with name HPI as a guarantee! TBH, I have done so myself in the past and paid the £19.99 as I didnt like the look of the bloke selling the motor!

Take your pick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As usual, a HPI check for any outstanding finance, outstanding claims, and so on

Check the service book
    Ideally, one stamp every 10K or 20K miles / 1 or 2 years, depending on service schedule
    A careful keeper will also have most, if not all, receipts
    Again, if any of it looks unreal then walk away

Check all the tyres
    They should all be the same type and profile
    Front tyre wear is to be expected, bu should even across the tread

Check the front brake pad and rear brake material
    You should be able to at least see 4mm on them

Check the oil level
    Remove the oil filler cap, anything other than black and walk away

With the engine cold, remove the coolant cap, anything other than water and walk away

Check the other levels, they should all be between min and max, if not then wait for the seller to comment

Switch on all the electrics and test every switch and bulb, including the horn and washers

Open the boot, check the spare and that all the tools are present

Sit in the rear seats too, if there is an ashtray and air con, test them too

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra-c

Trim : sri

Engine : cdti

Year : 2004

Mileage : 98,000

Quote Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
    Hi,

hi i note your staffs have you tried hilton garage just outside burton he has some great deals and you have piece of mind ive had a couple of good deals and if it floats your boat some realy low finance deals, hilton garage.co.uk i think, hilton village nr burton..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi,

yes I am in stoke, staffs. last went to Hilton about four years ago, but eventually got my present car from ian shipton's (now lookers - not as cheap as shiptons!)

Thread Information