User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: When to stop turning the box up???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default When to stop turning the box up???

Hi,

I've just got my CRD from diagnostix (Superb, friendly, service btw).. for my Zafira 1.9 150..

I fitted it, and noticed a slight increase in performance.. not too much.. but there none the less..

Knowing that CR1 owners need to turn their boxes up for some real 'action', I followed the instructions and started moving the Jumper one step at a time..

To quantify any increase, I used my old, but reasonably useful Gtech Performance Pro meter.. the old 'innacurate' one, but good enough for comparison.. and did 2-3 runs on each setting..

So, bog standard I was getting 9.3 - 9.6 seconds to 60...
    CRD on Standard, 8.8 to 9.0

I then kept tweaking it for more performance, and on the last two jumper settings I get
    2nd to last - 8.3 to 8.6 Seconds to 60
    last setting - 8.0 to 8.3 seconds to 60...

On the last setting, it started getting 'interesting', and 4th and 5th pulled noticeably better.. which had me wishing I had another set of jumpers to try..

Of course, I then ran out of adjustment, so phoned Diagnostix, who said no problem, well just remap it to the next range up.. but did point out that if it's smoking excessively, then there is no point in upping it anymore (Sound advice..) as over fueling negates performance..

And this is my quandary, I am not sure if the last setting is 'too much' or not, I don't want to send it in if I am already passed the max ideal setting...
    The daft thing is, it's hard to know if it's smoking excessively???

From new, if you where doing say 1500RPM in third, and floor it, it labours/lags/whatever as the turbo isn't on boost for a second or so, and then it goes, while 'labouring' it always belches some sooty smoke out, but when it's going it seems much 'cleaner'.. I dropped a mate off to pick his Smart roadster up, and I caned a bit on the way back, leaving his roadster for dust, but he did comment that the Zaf kicks out some smoke every now and again..

With the box in, and on max, on a night, with a car behind (easier to see smoke in the lights), I did the same thing, and sure enough a big belch of soot, and off it goes, just much faster this time, when it's going, it seems 'clean' , I can't see a big cloud in the lights behind me..
    Also, I've noticed that sometimes under labouring, around 1200 RPM in 6th, it doesn't smoke, even with foot to floor, but at 1500 RPM, just before the turbo kicks in, it may smoke noticeably...

I Plan to get my Brother to follow me on Sunday, and try a few settings to see how much smoke increases by etc.. but since it belches a bit of smoke without the box sometimes, I could do with a few pointers that make knowing when the box is a turned up a little too far a bit easier for a noob like me...

Is the soot belching when the engine is std normal??

cheers
    Last edited by phil-t; 3rd February 2006 at 20:19.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Have you thought about booking yourself onto a Rolling road so you can choose the correct setting bud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Never thought of that..

It would be best to get an RR done by diagnostix themselves? and do they have any more 'local' RR agents near me (Bristol/Gloucester) area..

I'll give them a ring and find out..

Thread Information