Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Door Staff

A lad got in the cab the other day and we were having a chat about how hard it can be to get or stay in a nightclub these days, he made the remark of how they are no longer bouncer's but should now be labeled selector's, I had to agree with him because it's now not a case of if you are trouble, it's a case of being sized up and if you are too big, or look handy you just don't get in, the lad is a navy lad and he also added they have been made to feel most unwelcome in Pompey of late, well they ain't alone on that one but it is a fact, and as it's a navy town certain ppl need to have a good look at themselves and realise the Navy is Portsmouth, and that they spend well and generally don't cause a lot of trouble, and any trouble there is is normally two sailor's having it rather than the general public.

Along the same lines, talking with a squaddie and he told me his unit got back last week from Afghanistan and while a group of them were in a chain owned club one of them was told to get out because he shouldn't be in there because he got thrown out the week before for causing trouble, so what we have here is a jet set squaddie who after fighting the Taliban all day, jumps on a scram jet and gets a chinnock to drop him off in Pompey for the night where he gets thrown out of clubs before getting the last scram flight back to Afghanistan ready to fight again in the morning jeezus f**k**g Christ am I missing something here, men and women who are bullet dodging are being treat like scum by gutless wannabes who stand on a door in their big black coat looking down their noses at these ppl, my final comment to this is...if you aren't prepared to get in there when it goes off look for something more suitable like a desk job.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Audi Q7

Trim : S-Line Plus 245

Engine : 3.0 TDV6

Year : 2013

Mileage : 3023

HI VV, I know what you mean m8, i've done a fair bit of door work in my time and i've had to work with some proper idiots who just think they are invincible because they have a club jacket on and a radio with a curly earpeice, these types are totally useless when the ****e hits the fan..! But thats what happens when the Health & Safety PC Brigade steps in and introduces an NVQ as a DoorStaff qualification..! they have just made it harder for the old skool local Known boys to get work.. Clubs & pubs where a lot safer a few years ago because you normally had known local guys under the control of a head doorman who wanted a good reputation for His club / door team.. Nowadays a lot of clubs use agency staff who couldn't give a toss as long as they got paid...
    Personally i have no problems with squaddies at all, in the past i have done a lot of Door work in Colchester which is a Garrison town where the likes of the Black Watch, The Gurkha's, RLC and Para's have all been based and once You get to know the lads you can have a good laugh with them, i've made a lot of good squaddie mates working there, And You are right its just madness that they are trying to ban Navy guys from clubs in pompey which is a Navy Town, "Don't bite the hand that feeds" springs to mind here....

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That is true, I remember the days when I was a podium dancer, the doorman were more relaxed; but the nightclub culture has changed a lot... I was talking to Matt the DJ the other day, we both feel it is because alchol has become very availble and cheap, people need to drink to enjoy the night out...

Whilst in my time, the girls and I, would spend time on doing wacky hairstyles and dressing for the ocasion....

The door man have more responsibilites, in refence to checking ID, first aid, dress code, the list goes on;while in my time time, they where more flexible...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

Unfortunately, the average door man is unable to think for themselves and react appropriately to the given situation.

More times than I care to remember, I have seen heavy handedness and people being removed when there has been absolutely no reason. Even when people have tried explaining the situation that has occured, the wrong decision is made more often than not.

To be honest, I think it is simply a way of diverting the issue and removing anyone who can use thought processes, brain power and reasoning to any situation (unlike the average 'bouncer' who can only use muscle power to remove the 'problem')

When people actually die because of bouncer ignorance (which has happened before, and in my home town) it is time to really question why they are there and why they chose to become door men. I am sure some do it as a power trip, or as a legitimate way of throwing their weight around in an unfair situation. Ie 5 burly bouncers against a mid sized slightly intoxicated guy just being a bit loud. Seen it SO many times, it's not funny anymore.

Some are very good, and they get my praise. My local club, that i'm a card holder for, has some of the best security I have ever seen. I've never seen much trouble, and when it has occured, it's been dealt with very quickly, RESPECTFULLY and non confrontationally. They are usually chatty and friendly and have mastered the art of doing the job 'properly'. Most of them are not particularly big at all and use better ways to ensure everyone enjoys themselves in a safe, trouble free environment.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

How weird this came up, after the weekend ive just had....il let the report/email ive sent to the SIA do the talking

On Friday night 20/5/08, i was booked as a DJ at a nightclub in newtown (wales), Near shrewsbury, in powys.
    The club in question was called "crystals"

I had just finished my set with another DJ, when we went outside the front door for a ciggarette, which we were allowed to do, so long as we had been stamped on the hand, by the person behind the desk as you walked in.
    Unfortunately, the other DJ was unaware of this as he had come late to the event and was ushered in by the promoter.
    We were outside having a cigarette, when the other DJ realised he had not got the money of the promoter for his set, so we finished our cigarettes and went to go back in, as we walked in we were asked to show the stamps on our hands, i showed mine, but the other DJ went to explain that he had not recived one, where the one member of door staff grabbed him by the throat, shouting at him, and pushed him forceably out of the door in which we had just come in.
    I went to explain to this doorman what had happened, where i was grabbed hold of, pushed down , and held in a headlock down by his waist.
    He was starting to squeeze my neck and i was trying to get his arm from around my neck and was trying to convey to him via my gurgling sounds that i was in pain.
    He then proceeded to try to put his hand over my mouth,but kept slapping my mouth instead.
    I was in pain from the squeezing of my neck, so and ill admit i punched him in the testicals.
    He reeled back and i fell to the floor trying to get some breath into me, where he then proceeded to bend down and punch me in the head and kick me, he was then pulled off by 2 of the other doormen, i got up and was then grabbed round the back of my neck by the first doorman who told me that in no uncertain terms that if i wanted to stay in the club i would have to stay in the main room, not go out for a cigarette, and if he saw me in the foyer of the club, he would take me outside and make sure i didnt come into wales ever again.

Im not sure if this doorman had an SIA lisence as he did not have an armband on as the others did, all i can remember of him, was that he was quite a large man, with a mostache.

I do hope you can sort this out with the club and the doorman concerned, but from my experience with many clubs over the country, this has never happened to me before, as i said ll i was trying to explain was that the DJ who had come late, was not stamped on his hand as he went through to play his set.

Like i said, ive sent it off to both the town council and the SIA, see how it works out shall i??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Like you said Pete, the older style of doorman is being kept out, some of them weren't perfect but at least you didn't have to have a fully body search and be related to the Zar of Russia to get in, one mate of mine who I have high regard for for ability and awareness actually lost his licence over a case where he stopped a guy beating up his girlfriend, and this guy is good, a funny thing happened a few mths ago I was always asked for id in one club until I was spotted having a few with him, after that it's in ya go mate now without question, I have to say to me all the staff there are good to me, but it's the same place the squaddie was removed from though, head doorman is old school and my age, and the lady door staff also show respect, "one of whom if I was a bit younger I'd have across me knee " anyway I have also seen doormen trying to stir it up by provoking the lad they've refused, which imo isn't on, well, I've had it done to me tbh at the club that now boasts 5 punter's on a Tuesday night having destroyed it's mature customer base and failed miserably to capture the youngster market they were chasing, hahahaha.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I get this all the time, go out for a good night and get turned away!!

Ruins your night when everyone else has got in but your havent.

Liverpool has a real problem with regards to bouncers, bad attitudes and I am a gangster!!! I have even had bouncers let me in for them to shoulder barge me on staircases etc trying to provoke me.

Yet in other towns your are greeted by the bouncers.

There is a problem and it needs sorting not by NVQ's, old school as big pete said worked great.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

One of the joys of being a squaddie in an area they are well known. When I was based in Reading we got refused from one pub and as soon as we walked away they were on the radio to the next one down. Fortunately there was some old school guys that would let you in and have a good laugh with us at the door, even when we were out our face LOL. Always discriminated for being squaddies and we are all trouble makers Still we made sure we had a good night and I have a few funny stories from our nights out.

MC Orion I hope something good comes of that mate. Just shows the typical scum that is everywhere nowadays

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sister and her other half are door staff. I must admit they appear to have a good head on their sholders. Though they constantly complain about over zealous staff going over the top.

People may think the "old guard" were better, but personally I think they aint. I get turned away all the time, 6ft big lad with a skin head, no guessing why. But, on the whole MOST are ok. Lets face it, there are over zealous coppers, over zealous anything out there. Its just when its a case of there being more bad than good, and in this area there are more good than bad.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Be interested to hear the outcome, sounds like the bloke was working without an SIA licence, but, he could have been working under a LDN, (dispensation notice while awaiting your SIA licence) but most firms who have been given the right to do this work hard to keep a good reputation.

When your working on doors things do go down wrongly sometimes but not this wrongly. In your sitution the worst that should have happened was that your mate should have been kept waiting while checks were made to see if he should have been in the Club, no physical action was needed if neither of you were being confrontational.

Hope this doesnt cloud your judgement on all doormen (and women) because we arent all like them, some of us do have brains and manners!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information