0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 3.2 v6 SRI EX Police Car Problems PLZ help

Hi, just picked up a 3.2 v6 sri and thereís a few problems ... of course there is!

Did a search but didnít really find anything..

Firstly it wonít start from the key 90% of the time, all I get the dash flickering (as if its nearly flat) and the starter motor clicking (replaced battery but still exactly the same) out of about 25 tries it fired up twice only. Iím thinking itís a dodgy starter motor?? or wiring to it? (canít actually find it in the mass of engine lol) it does however bump start so im thinking it defo is a starter motor problem.. is there a specific type for the 3.2ís?

On the drive home if I were to boot the car then it would rev and go but cut out mid rev and then bump start itself.. keeping my foot to the floor it would proceed to pick up like a train then die, pick up die pickup die etc etc like a kangaroo (everytime the dash needles and dash lights cutting out as if the car has stalled and no battery power).. no idea also

after ripping out all the old police wiring and repairing the endless wires that were cut and tapped together I noticed that the multifunction display unit didnít come on when I picked it up so had a look at the rear of it. Itís got a large grey plug but with nothing plugged into it. Directly behind it is a small plug just dangling there but it seems way too small to fit. Any ideas how to wire it up or find the plug would be greatly appreciated! I think the double din tape player that was thrown in there is wrong to as its got a little display on it which I thought was wrong seeing as the car is fitted with the MFD and steering controls.. Plus the tape deck donít work to lol

If I could get the car to fire up tidy and no cut out on heavy pedal play then I would be chuffed to beans as its a nice little car, high miles and a little scruffy but it was cheap.. well i think so

All comment and help are greatly appreciated
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what it urgently needs is both a trip on a full system code reader ( tech2 or vauxcom) to get the faulty systems diagnosed correctly and to see whats going on with the engine and it also needs an auto electrician to have a look at how they have tidied up after the police gear was removed..

lets just hope it was really cheap..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tidy'd up the wiring as they didnt do a bad job, just let a few ring terminals and taped up wires where they couldnt be bothered to unravel the tape, oh and the massive cables they run through the car. Just have a few connecters left hanging about mostly in the boot but i think thats for extras like sat nav and cd changers.

I also got a GM Tech2 scanner which 08 updated just dont have the code card for the car yet

had alot of codes, 90% relating to having a flat battery and the rest to the can bus non communication if the MFD which isnt plugged in. nothing of help towards the starting no cranks errors etc thats why im hoping it might be the starter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the starter is V6 specific, and a git to get to.. best from underneath the car..i take it you have checked all the power leads before condeming the starter for security and good contacts, as it sounds like the switch wire to the solenoid may be breaking/broken/making intermitant contact.. can you hear the solenoid engage? or is it totally dead?..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldnt find the starter so im just guessing atm as its to late to work on her now, granted i didnt have a good look as was very busy with the rest of the car.. the starter sounds like its trying to do its job. the best way to describe it would be like a flat battery trying to start the car, all you get is a clicking noise from the starter.. yet a few attempts or alot! it will fire no problem.

Admin & Server Techy Ian-Highlander's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The starting issue definitely sounds like the solenoid on the starter as Gsi3.2 says, check all the connections on it are clean and solid. The cutting out as you boot it could be so many things you really need to get it checked. I had an old cavalier that used to do that and it turned out to be a wire touching the chassis every time I went round a corner. But it's more likely to be a dodgy sensor on the engine that's causing your problems.

Sounds like you got a bit of a job with the wiring there, I bought an ex police veccy C about three weeks ago (the silver one in my avatar), brilliant deal, quite low mileage and they'd stripped out their crap pretty well. It's cost me a fortune in replacement blanking plates, air vents, trim bits etc etc that where all scratched or broken, but generally the car is fine. Wiring wise, so far I've only found a couple of ring connectors still attached to the main earth point with the wires cut where they couldnt be bothered to undo them again and a couple of loose bits of un-connected cable behind the dash.

Good luck with the car, but I'd definitely say you need to get the error codes read off at the very least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot to say, there's an easy way to test the starter issue.

Find where the starter is, get a mate to tap the solenoid with a hammer (not too hard) while you crank the engine, if it starts then it's a sticky solenoid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atleast i got something to do tomorrow now!

Tech2 didnt come up with anything useful, will need to get the starting sorted first then replicate the problem and go from there.. Live data here we come =)

I know what you mean by the interior trim, i need a new sunglasses holder or blanking plate, both ash trays, one or two heater knobs and could do with new styling trims..

Think the car looks sexy in white. worth getting some blue strobes behind the dash to have some fun with the local kids lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh, I've just finished replacing all the bits on mine, here's what I've replaced to date...

2 x blanking plates round the radio
    1 x front ashtray assembly (internal and external because they'd cut a hole through it to mount something)
    1 x cigarette lighter surround trim
    1 x gear lever surround
    main silver strip trim accross the dashboard
    all front air vent assemblies
    steering wheel control panels
    rear air vent assembly
    rear accessory socket mounting plate and cover
    rear ashtray assembly
    seat adjuster wheel cover
    rear seatbelt bolt cover
    internal front door cover panels
    passenger door switch panel surround

and probably a couple of bits I can't remember, it's been a lot more expensive than I thought it would be as I've replaced all the bits with brand new ones from the dealer. I also bought a new interior light unit with the map reading lights and a sunglasses holder built into it.

And all that was just to get the car to a standard I was happy with before the "real" work starts on it

Good luck with yours

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need to sort out the starting and electrical problems before I look at the interior..

To wet for me so far this morning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information