User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You know the feeling when you just KNOW there is something wrong with your car?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default You know the feeling when you just KNOW there is something wrong with your car?

This is related to my posts in this thread- but I thought I'd start a new thread as it's on a topic that I'm sure has affected us all at one point.

You know that feeling that you get when you know, you just know!, that there is something wrong with the car - but it's just trying to get the dealer to hear the noise you're talking about, not to mention work out what is causing the problem! Not always through any fault of their own - just the difference between them taking the car for a short test drive and hearing nothing, and you driving it daily and being much more attuned to things that are different.

Lately I felt my car was giving a harsher ride, more from the back, and I was getting a thudding noise at times when on uneven roads or even when cornering. I was certain it was some sort of suspension problem - bushes or shocks were my first thought. I didn't think shocks were the most likely as I had the full Irmscher kit fitted in May (only 17,000 miles ago).

Anyway, car went in after New Year for a few bits and bobs and that was one thing they were to look at. They fixed the other things, but said couldn't fault the suspension. Hmm, not convinced at that - certain there was something wrong.

Couple of weeks later (and still getting the noises but seemed to be progressively worse) I was passing nearby my dealer, nipped in and managed to get the Workshop Foreman to come out with me for a spin - same guy who had tested it before. This time I suggested he sit in the back so that he was closer to what I reckoned was the source - it definitely seems to be suspension related to me. He heard the noise I was talking about, and the rougher ride, but was a bit stumped. Didn't think it could be a bush as he thought that would knock constantly. So it was booked in to be looked at. That was today.

So, the car went in this morning and I got a phone call later to say......"One of your rear shocks is leaking and needs to be replaced!" Surprised that one had failed so soon (17,000 miles) but pleased that they had diagnosed the problem! So they're going to order the parts and fit two new Irmscher rear dampers under warranty! They're covered under warranty as it's an Irmscher part supplied and fitted by a dealer.

I'm soooo glad I paid the bit extra to have them supply and fit the original kit, rather than source them independently and get another place to fit them (to save a bit of cash) - as it's all now dealt with under one roof. Otherwise I'd have been faffing about trying to get parts removed, then returned blah de blah de blah! Would've have been a real a**eache!!

I get on very well with my dealer, and it wasn't a battle to get them to look at the problem again - just a matter of going in a second time, taking the foreman out for a drive and getting him to hear it for himself. Once that was done they then looked further into the suspension to find the problem.

But even then, it was still a great sense of satisfaction for them to confirm that there was a fault in the suspension after me being convinced that there just wasn't something right.

I read about how some members here have to go in again and again and battle with the dealers to get them to look at/deal with problems and I can only imagine the frustration that you feel when you know there is something wrong with the car - but the dealer is doing f**k all about it!!

Anyway, I left the dealer with a smile on my face!

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

maybe one of the roads you frequently tavel on has a really bumpy bit on one side lol

glad to hear you sorted it

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Glad its sorted and it goes to show that if you treat the dealer as you would want to be treated, sometimes they repay the courtesey and treat you normally. It works for me. I think they are in an industry where people think they have to be arsey to get anything done and then the dealer gets arsey back and the whole thing snowballs and nobody wins. In your case Duncan case everyone wins ( or should do) cause hopefully the foreman will log this as experience and the next time a Signum comes with a similar complaint the first thing they will look for is a leaky shock.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by SCOTTEX
    Glad its sorted and it goes to show that if you treat the dealer as you would want to be treated, sometimes they repay the courtesey and treat you normally. It works for me. I think they are in an industry where people think they have to be arsey to get anything done and then the dealer gets arsey back and the whole thing snowballs and nobody wins.
    Exactly - that's my philosophy in life generally anyway....'treat people the way you'd wish to be treated yourself' (although some people fall out of that bracket and get treated with the disdain they deserve!! )
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTTEX
    In your case Duncan case everyone wins ( or should do) cause hopefully the foreman will log this as experience and the next time a Signum comes with a similar complaint the first thing they will look for is a leaky shock.
    Indeed. He did give the suspension a looking over the first time but couldn't see anything wrong. Maybe it wasn't leaking as much, maybe he just missed it - we're all human. Point is, as you say, no point in being arsey about it and stamping feet (not my style - I find cutting sarcasm works the best when required! ). I just needed to go back and say it still wasn't right, that something was definitely wrong and get the guy to hear the noise.

D

spoons

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    You know that feeling that you get when you know, you just know!, that there is something wrong with the car - but it's just trying to get the dealer to hear the noise you're talking about
    Duncan, I have had the same problem with my SXi 2.2. Clunking noise coming from the suspension, but only occasionally. Also, recently, I have been getting a slight 'metal on metal' rubbing sound coming from the back. Like a low volume 'drone', especially at around 50mph.

Anyway rather than 'mess' about with the dealer, I just sold the car !! (it was due for sale anyway...)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    (not my style - I find cutting sarcasm works the best when required!

D

Really?

I'd never have guessed that from here LOL .

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

good news duncan!

Thought mine was going in on monday just gone - but ! got my dates muddled up!! - I will let you know what the outcome is - I may suggest the leaking shocks to them - to get them to check at least

Rich
    PS how does it feel now?
    Last edited by lborob17; 1st February 2006 at 14:30. Reason: ps added

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

well just had mine in today - I didnt suggest about the pos leaking struts.
    dealer rang me at lunch time and said:

rear noise and clunking - that a rear shocker was leaking a bit and they have ordered one - good I thought

front crunching noise - lubricated strut mounts - fine!

I was happy with that until I drove home over the usual road humps and the crunching noise is still there!!

one down one to go!

Rich

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by lborob17
    PS how does it feel now?
    They're waiting for the parts to come from Irmscher - so it'll be next week some time.

Hope your new rear shocks do the trick and that they suss out the front!

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just had rear shock replaced today - they had a nifty workshop viewing area at the dealers so was able to look. The guy didnt even take the wheel off! amazing what you can do if you have the right kit!

Took him about 15 mins plus a drive to check

Amazing difference!!! car once again feels solid.

....still crunching on the front over road humps...will sort that out after my hols

Rich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information