Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default My Inlet Manifold Story

As some may know I`ve asked and discussed for a while about the inlet manifold and swirl valve on my 54 plate 2005 model SRi CDTi Estate done 32k.
    The conclusion was my manifold was dying,albeit slowly.Since owning the car(3 years in july) we`d never really had a problem engine wise,then started reading on here peoples symptoms of faults eg - swirl valve failure.So me and the wife thought possibly we were sitting a ticking time bomb.
    Well a week last tuesday that bomb went off.
    Text from the wife to ask me to ring her.
    So I ring her and she says `I think that time bomb has just gone off`.Oh I reply what`s it doing?
    Well I was cruising down dual carriage way and engine managmaent came on but nothing altered.I then went to over take some one,pulled out into the 2nd lane and..nothing.Couldn`t get it to go past 40mph with cars speeding towards me I limped over to a layby.Car with spanner light on and engine symbol lit up.Stopped car and restarted and same,so carried on to where I was going and thats it.
    Won`t rev and won`t go over 40mph.
    I say in limp mode I`ll ring a dealer to see if can get it to them and look and it asap because go on holiday soon - monday 9th.
    Ring them up and - yes get it to us we`ll look at it tomorrow - wednesday.
    Wife crawls over to dealer 20 mile trip approx.
    Leave it with them.
    Phone call wednesday pm and they`ve pulled 3 codes off it and are still trying to work out whats gone wrong.
    Thursday pm after me trying to find out whats going on.
    Phone call off service manager -
    Need new inlet manifold and swirl valve etc your warranty ran out september 2007 that`ll be £840.
    I say no way VXL can pay that as it`s a known design fault - I`ve TIS 2000 feb 2008v - which clearly states failure on many due to poor design.
    Why should I pay for vauxhalls poor design?
    I`m told I`ll have to sort out with Vauxhall customer care.
    Get on to the case that moment.Get case no` etc etc.
    After 2 days of ME repeatedly phoning them,when they said they would phone me,get a message stating car hasn`t got full service history so go away.
    Well,I have kept ALL paper work every invoice etc,even for wipers etc.
    So dig out all that and phone Vauxhall and tell them that,
    My car was on a service schedule of 2 years or 30k BUT YOU CHANGED IT TO 1 YEAR OR 20K HALFWAY THROUGH.Thats why it doesn`t have 3 stamps.
    So in the end Vauxhall agree to pay 50%.
    I also quoted the field service remedy on the manifold and was told I shouldn`t know that and takethe 50% or leave it.
    Well I wanted more but a long drawn out case and time and money etc I couldn`t be bothered with it would I get much more and really needed the car back.So I HAVE TO PAY £420.which is nearly the price of the parts to me anyway.
    So phone call off service manager on monday saying parts ordered and should be done tuesday late pm.I say,ok I`ll give you more time as can`t pick up car till wednesday pm.OK no problem will ring you in the morning to confirm still ok.
    Wednesday lunch and no phone call.I ring them and speak to reception and I`m informed that car still being worked on.What?
    Service manager rings up pm.Had a problem,the techs that started your car couldn`t finish it.Eh!Why?
    Your car is a very early version and compared to later models there is twice as much to take off and the usual techs haven`t a clue and had to get a senior guy in to do it.Part of exhaust had to come off and loads of other stuff as well.(I`m thinking bonus I`m on quote for this so can`t charge me any more and thank the lord I didn`t try to do it).Then as well we`ve had to order a connecting rod that was up the creak so won`t be ready.
    I say need car back as go to Alton towers on friday and then down to Cornwall on monday.
    Well we`ll have it ready for lunch time thursday but we`ll ring to confirm.
    Thursday lunch time and you`ve guessed it,no phone call.So I ring them and ..... cars still being worked on.WTF
    Service manager rings me around 2pm ish.
    Putting last of DPF,ECU etc updates on will ring you shortly.
    Phone call 2-30 ish right all done tech guys been out in it,I`ve been out in it (did 30 miles in it)all done and ready.
    at last.
    Get there at 4 pm ish.Get ushered into service managers office.I`d already had other dicussions with him over field service no`s and they knew I wasn`t going to get fobbed off so I got the royal treatment.Which I have to say the service manager was really good.
    I was told that my swirls valve were `broken`.Broke up.Not 100% on that and because vauxhall pay half they want it back.
    So after spending 45mins in with him going over paperwork etc - also had handbrake recall done while it was in - I was off.
    Bonnet up to check the work and it leaps out at you.The difference in size compared to the old manifold.The swirl valves are wider apart and look bigger and the connecting rod is bigger and longer.
    So off I drive and difference is noticable.Smoother,picks up better and seems more stable - with regard to not having to drop down a gear if the revs were a little low.Pulls in2nd from 1000 rpm no problem.Also seeing figures I could of only dreamt about on the trip comp.51 mpg,range of 680 miles where as before range of 450 -500 and 44 mpg.And no there is no box connected to throw out the trip.
    So all in all even though it took them in total of 9 days to sort it out I m a happy bunny that the car is as it should be now.With extra oil changes,quality fuel and the EGR valve cleaned every 6 months I m hoping for a few more years out of the vectra.
    Sorry for the mini novel.

ps thanks to all those that helped with part no`s and advice
    Last edited by installer; 7th June 2008 at 21:33.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia CDTi SRi NAV 160

Trim : SRi

Engine : A20DTH

Year : 2009

Mileage : 88000

Well done for getting money from Vx, well worked mate

Sunny Waterloo, just outside Liverpool.....
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

WOW!!!! did you get "typers cramp" with that post???

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : Exclusive

Engine : 1.8

Year : 2005

At least you got vx to pay some which is a lot more than some people get, hope you enjoy many more miles of happy motoring

Thread Information