User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Car & Spanner light Issue but with rev probs!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Car & Spanner light Issue but with rev probs!!

Hey folks,

Have enjoyed the last month's troublefree ownership of my 1.9 dti 2003 vectra, until today !

driving down the a dual carriage way, and the infamous Car and spanner light came on .. pulled over to the nearest spot- turned the car off and fired her up again and the car/spanner light had vanished -started 1st time, holding revs as normal and drove as smooth as usual...

so carried on and doing about 50-60 and it comes back up again. didnt realise any power loss so just made it back home and decided to take things from there.

while parked up, let it run for abt 5- 10 mins and tested to rev - to realise the revs are not exceeding above 3000rpm.

on curiosity - turned the car off and started again after a few mins, with no car and spanner light, 1st time start and revs were all free again.

very confused - have tried to read up on previous issues but just cant seem to find any similar issue with any member -

car has covered 85k and was recently serviced by previous owner before sale. prb just me - but have lately noticed a new whistle noise (assuming jus the turbo) but couldnt seem to find any pipe leaks as well .. will check again in better light tommorow -

its out of warranty so a bit skeptical about the costs at the dealership, i know a local garage most likely has the equip to diagnose but any help, advice, tips in this issue will be highly appreciated -

many thnx in advance

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Had a similar problem with one of my old Vectra-B's 2.0 DTI, it happened a few times but has taught me to check a few things which went wrong with it. The whistling sound sounds like a split turbo/intercooler pipe, on mine, it was the one that comes off the intercooler and heads towards the turbo, at one stage this had a split in it.

Another thing that had gone wrong was the leak off pipes, but this didnt affect it whilst driving, only gave it starting trouble.

The other was the dreaded egr valve situated on the front of the engine, this was not holding any vacuum and was producing an insane whistling sound, apparently had clogged up with carbon! THIS DID affect the car whilst driving and the problem you are having was similar.

Last but not least, on the Vectra B, near to the battery are 2 small round tub type things which have little vacuum pipes coming off them, these had split on the underside....when replaced, problme solved and no need for dealer intervention. This also gace me similar probs to the one your having.

This is assuming that your car has the older type 2.0/2.2 DTI engines and not the CDTI?

Hope this helps!

Bye bye Vec B
    - Hello Siggy!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    while parked up, let it run for abt 5- 10 mins and tested to rev - to realise the revs are not exceeding above 3000rpm.
    It's probably in "limp" mode, the rev's are restricted to help prevent damage to the engine while the fault is there. The idea being that you could carefully drive it to a garage/off the motorway to safety etc.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

This is assuming that your car has the older type 2.0/2.2 DTI engines and not the CDTI?

[/quote]

it is the cdti

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

If it's a 2003 it won't be a CDTi m8. They didn't come out in the Vecs until 2004.

It sound like the turbo hose problem that is common in the 2.0 DTi's.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

this is the part that I had to replace on mine: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vectra-Sintra-...QQcmdZViewItem

Bye bye Vec B
    - Hello Siggy!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

got it checked out today ... came up as the egr valve !

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vectra-Sintra-...QQcmdZViewItem[/quote]

You will need to change this whole thing mate (or similar to suit your car), I had this go on 2 Vectra's 2.0 DTI, changing the EGR valve alone werent enough, had to do the inlet manifold too, apparently the "butterfly's" inside them get carbon build up and lock up!

Hope you get it sorted soon mate, and not too pricey!

Bye bye Vec B
    - Hello Siggy!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You will need to change this whole thing mate (or similar to suit your car), I had this go on 2 Vectra's 2.0 DTI, changing the EGR valve alone werent enough, had to do the inlet manifold too, apparently the "butterfly's" inside them get carbon build up and lock up!

Hope you get it sorted soon mate, and not too pricey![/quote]

so ure saying that i should get the egr valve and get the inlet manifold cleaned up ?? or is it better to get a replacement ?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post

Hope you get it sorted soon mate, and not too pricey!
    so ure saying that i should get the egr valve and get the inlet manifold cleaned up ?? or is it better to get a replacement ?[/quote]

This is quite ironic really, I had the EGR Valve and Inlet Manifold go on 2 vectra B's, 51 reg, 2.0 DTI's., I was told at the time it werent going to be enough to change the valve on its own, hence the inlet manifold too.

When I had both of them replaced (not at the same time of course), I kept one of the old ones and decided to clean it in parafin, in fact I left is soaked in a tub full of paraffin for a weekend and when I came back to it, the tub was full of black cr4p, I couldnt even see through the liquid.

Anyhow, I dryed it all out after scrubbing the remains of the carbon muck off and it came out looking like new. Then by mate had a 2.0 DTI X-reg Vectra and he was diagnosed the exact smae problem, so I said ti him to try the one I cleaned, nothing to lose except the install time.....and it worked. The light went off and the car was right as rain and he used it for about a year before he sold the car, and the same problme never came back.

The only reason I cleaned it in paraffinwas coz it was scrap to me anyway, so if it got recked, I didnt care, but if you are going to clean yours up and then re-fit it, I would get some proper cleaning stuff as its your own personal car you are going to use it on so dont risk anything.

And oh, he had to purchase another gasket, about 10 squids at the time (about 3 - 4 years ago)!

HTH!

Bye bye Vec B
    - Hello Siggy!

Thread Information