User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Curious one for the tech guys out there...

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused Curious one for the tech guys out there...

Ok, seeing as how you lot have had to listen to/put up with/suffer me droning on about how reliable my 1.9 CDTi 150 has been inthe 13K miles I've had her, it seems about time that you should get some payback. And today it happened...

Half way through a 400 mile journey back to north Scotland, I was turning off the A74 onto the A73 just south of Glasgow to go across to Stirling. Anyone in that are will know it's a 2 lane slip road that curves round and joins another slip road which then form the motorway. Halfway round it, and the engine just dies...

Luckily for me everyone around me was aware enough to avoid and pass me as my engine wound down and failed to respond to anything I did with the throttle. Changing gear put the revs up, as you'd expect, but still no response from the throttle. EML light came on, as you'd expect, but curiously, so did the Traction Control...

A gap appeared in the traffic long enough for me to make my way over to the hard shoulder, crossing 3 lanes with jsut enough momentum to reach it before the car ground to a halt. The engine was still going, idling at 1200 RPM. Again, no response from the throttle. No matter what I did with it, it just sat there.

Had a look under the bonnet, nothing untoward seen. I cut the engine, left it 30 seconds or so, restarted, and all was well again. Slowly took her up the rev range, all indications as expected and normal. After 5 minutes or so, I decided to carry on, and as soon as I was about to set off, it happened again. EML, Traction Control, 1200 RPM, no throttle response. Again, I cut the engine, restarted, left it, and then set off.

For the next 200 miles it was absolutely fine, with no repeat and no sign of anything wrong. I varied the rev range from low to high, various speeds, all was well.

If it happens again I'll take it to get Tech2'd, but for now I'll leave it.

Any thoughts guys...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Bump

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Happened at the red one, stopped at the blue one on the hard shoulder...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Think The Car Was Telling You It Wanted To Stop At Hamilton Services And Was Not Pleased That You Drove By

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sounds to me like an issue with the "fly by wire throttle". There's no cable between the pedal and the throttle, just a potentiometer on the pedal and a servo motor on the throttle.....

Seeing as the engine was running fine and the snag recovered after a restart, I'd go as far as to say it was a problem with the computer.....

Having recently started my car to find every warning light under the sun come on, but then go out after a restart, I contacted VX. It's not uncommon apparently for a "spike" to cause spurious faults.....

The answer? Well VX have agreed to tech2 my motor and if necessary re-program the module that caused my particular faults. Seeing as your motor decided to stop responding to throttle inputs, I'd say it's a safety issue and needs investigating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Seeing as it did another 200 miles without fault, unless it happens again I'd be inclined to leave it, because as you say it's more than likely a software/computer problem...

Thread Information