User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freeview & Channel 5 Help Please??!!??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Freeview & Channel 5 Help Please??!!??

Hey all,

I have recently installed an LCD TV with built in freeview. At first, the normal desktop aerial wouldnt catch anything apart from BBC News 24, so I was advised to get an amplified Freeview Aerial, which I bought from Asda yesterday. Its the one with a big ring in the centre and two car-like aerials on the sides and also requires mains power to amplify the dB signals.

Anyhow, this now picks up a fair few more channels and even says that signal strength is good to very good. I manage to get BBC1, 2, ITV, CHannel 4 and a fair few other freeviews, THE ONE I STRUGGLE WITH IS "CHANNEL 5".

This is really beginning to annoy me ( ), have tried a fair few search's, auto and manual.

Can anyone give me any pointers on this please or tell me what and where I am going wrong!!!!!!!!

This is probably how i'll end up.....

Bye bye Vec B
    - Hello Siggy!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Large buildings

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

apart from that?

Bye bye Vec B
    - Hello Siggy!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Its not strong enough mate, the only realy way to get Freeview is to run off the main aerial,

you may even need to upgrade the aerial you have to get all channels .

try plugging the tv in to the wall socket and see what you get,

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

its in the bedroom. ive already upgraded the aerial to an aplified one, but its just channel 5, the other im getting seem OK. Someone else said to me that C5 requires a boosted signal, and is the only one that does. Doesnt make sense, if I can get 1, 2 , 3 , 4, why not 5 too?

Bye bye Vec B
    - Hello Siggy!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

Freeview requires a hi-gain aerial depending on areas at the moment as most transmitters are not putting out full power until they are switched over to Digital.
    I live right in the middle of the Wrekin and Winter Hil transmitters so my TV is picking up from both even though it points to Winter Hill.

Channel 5 is the hardest to pick up due to the old 625 line system only being able to carry 4 channels.

Full reason here m8.

Some viewers who can get good reception of BBC1, BBC2, ITV and C4 may be mystified as to why they get a lousy C5 picture or none at all. The reason is a simple one, the 625-line UHF television system used in the UK was designed to carry exactly four channels. The channel numbers were assigned back in the 1960s (even though C4 didn't begin until 1982.) But the network was designed with a gap in the frequencies to allow for non-broadcast services and it was the Government who decided that they could squeeze in a fifth service in this gap by moving the other services out. This was in 1990, and it was well known at the time that using this scheme would mean some of the population would miss out. As it turned out Channel 5 ended up using a mixture of the frequencies in the gap as well as other frequencies. Because some of C5's transmitters are broadcasting in a different band from the other stations, many viewers require a different aerial. In addition, many C5 transmitters are operating on much lower power than those of the other networks, to avoid interference. Again this means many viewers need to upgrade their receiving equipment.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

So do I need another different aerial? THe one I have got has got a round bitton on it to trun and get a higer freq, i have set it to max 100 and it gets more than on 35, but where do I go from here?

Bye bye Vec B
    - Hello Siggy!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Caterman View Post
    Channel 5 is the hardest to pick up due to the old 625 line system only being able to carry 4 channels.

Full reason here m8.

Some viewers who can get good reception of BBC1, BBC2, ITV and C4 may be mystified as to why they get a lousy C5 picture or none at all. The reason is a simple one, the 625-line UHF television system used in the UK was designed to carry exactly four channels. The channel numbers were assigned back in the 1960s (even though C4 didn't begin until 1982.) But the network was designed with a gap in the frequencies to allow for non-broadcast services and it was the Government who decided that they could squeeze in a fifth service in this gap by moving the other services out. This was in 1990, and it was well known at the time that using this scheme would mean some of the population would miss out. As it turned out Channel 5 ended up using a mixture of the frequencies in the gap as well as other frequencies. Because some of C5's transmitters are broadcasting in a different band from the other stations, many viewers require a different aerial. In addition, many C5 transmitters are operating on much lower power than those of the other networks, to avoid interference. Again this means many viewers need to upgrade their receiving equipment.
    That's in relation to analogue though Tony. As we know, Freeview is digital and with the multiplexing it carries way more than four channels and if the signal is iffy then then reception is usually good, or none at all, with it being a digital signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by vauxmang View Post
    Anyhow, this now picks up a fair few more channels and even says that signal strength is good to very good. I manage to get BBC1, 2, ITV, CHannel 4 and a fair few other freeviews, THE ONE I STRUGGLE WITH IS "CHANNEL 5".
    Does the TV also have a built-in analogue tuner? I'm assuming it does. If so, have you definitely switched to the Freeview tuner in the TV? Seems odd that it's only Channel 5 that would be iffy reception on Freeview. On analogue I could see why, but less so on digital.

D

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 05

Get one of THESE m8. It will sort your problem out no problem.

Don't try to use an indoor aerial for freeview, you will not get all the channels available. I get around 85 channels on my new TV in the sun lounge.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

One tip, the higher up you mount an ariel the better the reception, and it needs to point at the transmitter as well, one thing I found was to tilt the ariel back slightly, so it's like an aircraft taking off, hth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information