StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Using Super Fuels...

Using Super Fuels

Read this from petrolprices.com...... be interested to find out people's opnions.....

'One of our users commented that using higher octane fuel than your engine requires actually gives no benefit and may be a waste of money. This is because virtually NO engines require 98 RON over 95, and the market for 'super' fuels seems to be based on people's misunderstanding of octane ratings and the placebo effect of filling up with 'more powerful' fuel - making motorists think their engine is running better in some way.
    What do the fuel companies say then, to justify the "increased power" claims for the super grade fuels? Some companies say that while all fuels contain cleaning additives, 'super' fuels contain more or better detergents to keep the injectors cleaner than standard fuel. Others say the fuel is a few percent denser which gives slightly more power per litre. These benefits may be marginal though in comparison to the extra cost involved so it is worth ensuring that your engine will actually benefit before filling up.
    Some engines actually do need higher octane fuel, such as race engines with very high compression and some turbocharged engines, such as the import version of the Nissan Skyline. Also, a few vehicles, such as the new BMW K1200R motorbike, can sense knock and adjust their engine tuning to take advantage of higher grade fuels. Another user commented that the 2004 BMW 330 also does this, according to the driver's handbook it makes 231 BHP on 98 octane and 221 BHP on 95. This ability is apparently widespread amongst German performance cars using Bosch / Siemens electronic engine controls.'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting - no idea whether I get more power with V-Power, but it 100% definitely improves the responsiveness and 100% definitely runs smoother too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i use tesco 99 and deffo feel the difference. in recent test it also came out as the highest octane in the range- being actually over 100 yet called 99.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noting it as over 100 would confuse people who think it cannot go above 100. Also, the number on the side must be representative of all the fuel sold, maybe the batch that was tested above 100 was not normal and was simply normal variance?

Other independant tests have proved SUL worthless too in the average road car. I personally use Asda std petrol.

'Feel' is not a definitive answer. Placebo effect can change the 'feel' - it costs more therefore it should 'feel' better. Several rolling road tests, with std and with SUL ( to determine normal variation and to work out the statistics) is the only way to actually determine any difference at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BSR definitely recommend super unleaded for Stage 1, and strongly advise SUL for Stage 3 and above. Comments from peeps on here on how their engines perform have supported that.

I would tend to agree that there is no real advantage in using higher-octane fuel in standard-tune cars.

The VAG group for example recommend SUL for their TSI turbocharged engines, and do say that normal unleaded is OK albeit it with a small performance deficit compared with SUL.

A driver feels/knows if higher-octane fuels are worthwhile in his/her car.

'Feel' as you put it is different from discernible improvements in power delivery and responsiveness. I was totally sceptical about the benefits of SUL, but I'm not now
    Last edited by john_k_sri; 20th May 2008 at 10:04. Reason: additions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without doubt,even BP Ultimate,is a very noticeable improvement!
    Thats my second or third choice fuel now,as i only use V-Power.
    I've been geeky enough in the past using both standard and Super Fuels in order to determine any difference,and i'd rather fill up with sand now than a standard fuel.
    If you want maximum enjoyment from your veccy especially 2.2's upwards filling up with a super fuel and using an injector additive from time time is the only way to go IMHO.
    Obviously i'm not going to talk about speeds now,but regular users of Super fuels will know what i mean about the performance difference in the higher gears,without having to change down,the smoothness of the engine,and the general allround feel of the drive. WORTH EVERY PENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by john_k_sri View Post
    'Feel' as you put it is different from discernible improvements in power delivery and responsiveness. I was totally sceptical about the benefits of SUL, but I'm not now

You are right, 'feel' is subjective and different from person to person and is not necessarily correct, or accurate, or repeatable, or measurable, or even the right yardstick to demonstrate any improvements at all.

If you're happy, then keep going with it. At the end of the day, you're paying for it, not me, so it's your choice what fuel to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This again I've seen that article before, and it speaks the truth.
    Best thing you can do, is look in your Driver's Handbook (or tuner's handbook, whatever). If it says to use 98 RON, that's the one.
    Otherwise, 'supers' are probably not going to do anything to an ordinary saloon car, be it diesels or petrols.
    A few independent tests have shown superfuels do nothing to your average car - but of course, buy what you like if you're convinced of it's magic.
    But remember, you can't make a racehorse out of a donkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey... There's 185 donkeys under the bonnet of mine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hideous View Post
    This again I've seen that article before, and it speaks the truth.
    Best thing you can do, is look in your Driver's Handbook (or tuner's handbook, whatever). If it says to use 98 RON, that's the one.
    Otherwise, 'supers' are probably not going to do anything to an ordinary saloon car, be it diesels or petrols.
    A few independent tests have shown superfuels do nothing to your average car - but of course, buy what you like if you're convinced of it's magic.
    But remember, you can't make a racehorse out of a donkey

Apologies if this has been posted before (a pet hate on mine)!!!

Good to see some of the comments...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information