0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

Default Higher Road Tax Band

I was thinking the other day. I wonder if the government have actually defeated the object of stopping people from using cars that have "more power" and give out higher emisions by back dating the year that the car was regestered to 2001, as a lot of people can not afford to replace the "large" car they now drive ( bought in good faith as the co/2 idea was not around at the time), But instead will continue to drive the one thay have got. I for one will not get rid of mine untill I choose to do so. My theory is that I will have been used to paying the £400 odd for road tax for a number of years by then. So to buy another "large car" I will get a good deal on one, as they will not hold their value too well and having been used to the high tax and fuel cost I would not be loosing out by then, so they in the end, they will have not put me off. people who drive the "large" 4x4s Who can afford to buy them from new will not be put off either as they can afford them anyway. I thnk back dating the tax was not a good idea for the Government nor their idea on road taxing. But then it is not about road tax. Just Tax. Tax. Tax. The motorist is an easy purse in affraid.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You are prepared to do that, but many people are not....of course, who's to say the Govt won't continue to offer this "incentive" to downsize by increasing the tax on high emissions vehicles even further in a couple of years! as you say...TAX TAX TAX.

Road tax is such a con, it would add 1p per litre on fuel to scrap it, then, if you own a big guzzler, you pay every time you fill up, so its fair on everyone and payment is on what you use, not what you don't.

Wonder what they'll tax next? been a while since we had window tax, should go for that again!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Hatchback

Trim : SRi

Engine : 2.2 DTi

Year : 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post
    Road tax is such a con, it would add 1p per litre on fuel to scrap it, then, if you own a big guzzler, you pay every time you fill up, so its fair on everyone and payment is on what you use, not what you don't.
    I wonder how much that would actually be. Not that they'd bother doing that, cause as you say, its TAX where ever and however they can get it!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra Estate

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2 V6

Year : 04

Mileage : 000

To put the road tax on fuel would be a good idea as said above, You could have a "large car" where the driver does not do many miles so he would only pay for what he used, you could have a rep in a smaller car who does a lot of miles, at the end of a year say, he would have put more CO/2 into the air, also it would make those people who do not bother to tax their car pay in the end. But no doubt I dare say the road tax will go up in future probably on a % basis ie say 10% =£430 up %10 =another £43 a year.
    I want another £15000 a year pay rise too, Like I read in the paper yesterday that the ministers are after. They just take the pi$$ then rub it in the publics face.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What is annoying is alot of people bought their current car knowing how the Road Tax system worked and selected the engine size according to the tax brackets. (I might as well have gone for a 2.0T or 3.2!)

Applying the new tax brackets to cars up to 8 years old rather than cars registered from 58 onwards is essentially just taxing you for buying/owning a newer car nothing to do with emissons!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think this road tax price hike is a complete joke and is making me seriously consider selling my motor!I only do about 3000 miles a year,the car is only used twice a week and 2 think i may have 2 pay up 2 £400 a year 4 a 2.0t vectra is ridiculous!A petrol turbo car is one which i have always wanted 2 own,I,ve had it 4 just over a year and luv it and now the government want me 2 get rid of it,plus then kick me in the dangles due 2 the second hand price of the car falling because of its high tax band,what do i do!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : SRi Nav

Engine : CDTI158

Year : 2012

£400 a year is mad. Not just the amount, the principle more so. I think there's going to be a lot of drivers out there who'll be darned if they are going to pay that - even if they can afford it.
    What's going to happen to most of the large engined cars out there?
    It's already starting - the garages can hardly give them away at almost criminal prices. I suppose many of them will head to the scrappy way too early.
    LPG conversions sound interesting now, not sure what the tax situation will be on V6's with LPG (hasn't been made clear yet) but it's worth looking into.
    The obvious problem with LPG conversions is you can still run it on petrol any time you like, so it's not easy to govern that.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hi guys i would assume u already relise that the goverment will get more tax from thoes that own large cars / 4x4s because the higher band of road tax plus the tax u pay every time u fill up with fuel. so why would they want to put road tax on the price of fuel when they can fleece u both ways . if every one owned a smart car ect they would find away to charge u a tax for some think . if the goverment was worried on your behalf about running cost of the average car driver they would have lowered tha amount of tax we pay on fuels . after all it is not the fuel that is expensive its the tax that is expensive thats my rant for today

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm old enough to remember when the Government were talking about scapping road tax and adding 25p to a GALLON (not litre) of petrol. As history shows us they did add 25p to a LITRE (not gallon) AND trebbled the road tax.

BTW has anyone seen the new Union Jack, you know the one with "MUG" written all over it?.

I agree with what Col says, if you drive more you should pay more, but hey this government is in such a mess that it has to ripoff the tax paying workers.

Rant over.

Gordon.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I just checked the 10 Downing street petitions site and didnt see any relating to this. I felt sure someone would have started something. There is a petition requesting a reduction in VAT on petrol to 5% as per domestic gas and electricity supplies and a freeze on fuel duty for 5 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information