Thread: front light clusters mistup

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default front light clusters mistup

these are really doing my head in know, both headlight clusters mist up in the dampish / severe rain really annoying takes ages to de-mist, vx won't do anything about it basically say tuff buy some more.

100% no leaks upon seals or cracking in clusters.
    anyone got any ideas in solving it, used to do it in my front passinger fog light not anymore as glass is cracked, is it worth piercing a SMALL hole in rear of light cluster maybe to dryout. don't know where damps getting in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Grand Sport

Trim : SRI VX-LINE NAV

Engine : 1.5T (165)

Year : 2018

Mileage : 37000

Quote Originally Posted by rickyroo View Post
    these are really doing my head in know, both headlight clusters mist up in the dampish / severe rain really annoying takes ages to de-mist, vx won't do anything about it basically say tuff buy some more.

100% no leaks upon seals or cracking in clusters.
    anyone got any ideas in solving it, used to do it in my front passinger fog light not anymore as glass is cracked, is it worth piercing a SMALL hole in rear of light cluster maybe to dryout. don't know where damps getting in?
    I get the same and TBH am not that bothered as long as they clear. At least it's not like the offside front foglight which was misted when I bought the car and replaced (after some insistence at the dealer's) under warranty. Don't know how but damp seems to get in (as condensation - cold rain on warmer surface of headlamp cover - don't know - maybe it's worse with plastic headlamps - again don't know). I find a good run warming everything up helps. Don't hold with VX's fabled '15 minutes to clear' test. If it's $hagged it's $hagged!

Reminds me of when I went in with a faulty external temperature sensor. They unplugged it and assumed that as the temperature had dropped and risen very slowly on re-insertion it was sorted - I was back in the dealers 5 minutes after leaving them!

Only problem with piercing a hole is that it lets water/damp in - no such thing now like the sealed units on FX4 black cabs methinks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i've got a small packet of silica gel ( like you get arrive with electrical goods) in one of our cars lights..threaded a small bit of wire onto it for easy retreival and popped it in.. no more misting up..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

good idea gsi3.2 i'll get write to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

when i first bought my veccy the n/s fog misted quite often. i left the cover off for a few days then made sure it was seated properly when replaced, the seal was pinched when i took it off. seems to cure the problem in my case. the hard part was finding a few days without rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

after looking at some closely guarded info I have aquired the vauxhall company is aware of these faults and no remidys are available.
    Fog lights are as follows, if after 20mins they haven't demisted then change as faulty.
    The headlights are 45mins, which I think is stupid, their isn't enough heat generated within the light cluster to do this not unless we all drive around with main beams on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

here is the info

Clear glass headlights/fogged outer glass

After travelling in the rain or after cold nights it is possible for clear glass lights to become fogged. This is NOT a reason to remove the headlamps.

Explanation: The expanded heated air is pushed out of the headlamp vents when the headlamp is switched on. After switching off, the headlamp cools down slowly and moist air from outside enters via the vents. This moisture evaporates in the warm headlamp and is precipitated on the outer glass of the headlamp as condensate during cooling. This process is designated condensation. An evaporation process is set up after travelling for approx. 45 minutes in dry weather with the headlamps off or after they have been on for a short time (approx. 20 minutes) which allows the condensation to dry. This process has no technical consequences because the reflector is protected against the effects of condensation.

This condensation effect can also occur on headlights with a profiled lens in which the film of condensate is not so obviously visible as in clear glass headlamps. The headlamp can be checked for damage or leaks. If no defects are found, the headlamp is OK and can safely continue to be used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

On the Vectra Elite I bought Saturday, one headlamp glass is clear & looks brand new, the other has a lot of moisture inside.

Can you just change the glass (If it is cracked) or do you have to buy a whole new unit?

Regards,

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i think they are a complete unit, you could try ebay or local scrap dealers, should be around £15-20 used, around £30 new.
    regards, bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

Try taking the rubber cap off the back and see if the headlight bulbs will naturally dry out the headlight through heat generated from them (you'll need to drive round with your lights on for a while). Replace cap once dry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information