Thread: Focus ST Test Drive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Focus ST Test Drive

I decided to blag a test drive in on of these today as I have a soft spot for fast fords. The salesman was sitting alongside me so it wasn't too daft. The engine fired up with a thoaty growl and stettled to a burble, Mr salesman done the driving through town bit then let me have a go out in counrty. The road was a tad greasy but the ST put the power down without much fuss a big step forward for powerful fwd cars. The power is available from low down in the rev arrange around 1500rpm with little sign of lag, and the delivery is smooth and even throughout. The engine note is mean a five cylinder growl with a turbo whistle in the background really sweet. The steering is direct and gives lots of feedback form what I could gather from chucking it into a few roundabouts and a few quick bends. The ride is firm but with reason as the handling is impressive, grip levels are also high. The preformance is good without blowing your mind upto 70mph it felt quicker than my Gsi at higher speeds there would be little in it. Where it certainly feels quick is in the mid range and I feel its a quicker car than the GSi in this respect. The brakes are powerful but I didn't drive it for long enough to get any hint if fade etc. The gear change also impressed me a great deal very precise short and light. The build of the interior was ok not as solid as a vauxhall though, the standard equipment was also poor with dual climate control being a £600 option. The model I drove was the ST3 which has leather etc, very nice but fairly basic looking nonetheless. Overall for the money it appears hard to beat even though its a ford, which would obvisouly discourage many on here. I had a quick blast down a stretch of the M90 on the way back and it was a lttle nosiy for me but the GSi is very quiet. Thats my mini review then don't think Clarkson has much to worry about lol!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

my mates in the st owners club , he owns a st 220 mondy with a few horses more than my gsi and subsquently a little faster but not the same as my gsi in looks and head turning power !!

but i feel the astra vxr has the looks and the power advantage over the st focus .... maybe the handling is not as good but it still was faster over the top gear track even though stiggy made a few mistakes in the astra ....

phil

Watch the truck pull on youtube --http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjGfVxXov1E

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I love the look of the ST interior, but the Astra VXR package (exterior looks and power) tick all the correct boxes for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by big phil
    my mates in the st owners club , he owns a st 220 mondy with a few horses more than my gsi and subsquently a little faster but not the same as my gsi in looks and head turning power !!

but i feel the astra vxr has the looks and the power advantage over the st focus .... maybe the handling is not as good but it still was faster over the top gear track even though stiggy made a few mistakes in the astra ....

phil
    Fair point Phil I've yet to drive the astra as my local dealer doesn't have one in stock. I liked the spirit of the 5 pot motor in the st though and did like the look of it. Are you sure the st220 is quicker than your gsi as on paper the st220 may have more power but its slower to 60 and a bit slower on the 30-70 sprint, can't be much in it mind. Is the st modded?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

went for a test drive in a st220 but was a bit disapointed with the power when you consider its a 3ltr, good spec but on head to head the vx came top for me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 3.2 GSI
    Fair point Phil I've yet to drive the astra as my local dealer doesn't have one in stock. I liked the spirit of the 5 pot motor in the st though and did like the look of it. Are you sure the st220 is quicker than your gsi as on paper the st220 may have more power but its slower to 60 and a bit slower on the 30-70 sprint, can't be much in it mind. Is the st modded?
    went to a st owners club power run early last year and amongst other st's there were 4 st220's 3 standard and 1 modded .. the modded one came out on top by 2 bhp at 247 bhp and the standars ranged from 245 to 242 bhp !!! mine was 222 bhp ... on the road he has the edge 0-60 is about even but 3rd gear is more in his favour but over the 1/4 mile at the pod i was 1/2 a sec behind

his is not modded or at least it wasn't when we did the tests .... he now has a full system exhaust ... but thats it

phil

Watch the truck pull on youtube --http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjGfVxXov1E

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I drove the ST a couple of weeks back, this to us is a serious option instead of the Zafira when we come to change as they offer it in 5 door.

In my eye's it was a very quick car, but always felt like it should be doing that little bit more, as if it was being slightly held back, where as the Astra VXR was pure grunt.

Both I would say are built very weel, but the Astra looks way better. But the Astra will never be able to sound as good as the Focus ST

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i guess im on the minority then as i actaully prefer the focus to the astra. Maybe its because ive seen so many astras kicking around on the forums, you get kinda bored of it. Ive not seen many focus's on the sites i go on but i may feel the other way around if i frequented ford forums a lot. It would have to be Orange with Black leather though

PS.. aparantly ford is having a real problem with the paintmatching on the ST, with quite a few complaints and returns. They cant get the bumpers/plastic to the same shade as the body. Something Clarkson neglected to mention.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'd have the Focus as well. It's 2 grand cheaper for a start (not that I've got 17 big ones to drop on a new motor!). The Astra's nice, but just that little bit too Max Power for me. I must be getting old!!

Thread Information