Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default How2,hints,tips, on bleeding brakes plz

hey all

going to try fitting my 314mm brakes today, never changed calipers before? any hints of tips please?

also can someone describe how to bleed the front brakes? i dont need to do the backs do i? more detail the better lads? im abit of a novice?

easy bleed kit or manual way of using 2 people,1 to pump brake and 2nd to crack open and close the bleed nipple?

many thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

easibleed kit will make your life SSOOO much easier...just keep an eye on the level in the tank so you don't end up running the master cylinder dry.

Right..things to do..

Raise + support the car on axle stands.
    remove roadwheel.
    remove the caliper ( using the 2 x 7mm allen key slide bolts under the rubber covers), dont let it hang on the hose but tie it up to the coilspring with some string.

remove the pads
    remove the caliper carrier bracket ( 2 x t20 bolts very tight)
    Remove the disc ( 1 little torx screw)
    You may have to tap the disc off as it will 99% be rusted on..

NOW THE IMPORTANT BIT NO.1

take some abrasive paper and clean the hub face right up back to bright metal..remove as much rust as you can..if you've done it in under 2 mins you've not done a proper job..that surface needs to be factory clean..

take the new 314 disc and spray it with brake cleaner to remove any oil/greases. then mount to hubface and secure with the screw..

clean out the threads in the caliper carrier bolts you removed earlier..put some new loctite on them and use them to put the new caliper/carrier complete assy on as a lump..Make sure you put the correct one one the correct side as they DO DIFFER.. the bleed nipple needs to be facing UPHILL..

retorque the bolts up to FFT....

Now, the messy bit.. remove the bung in the new fitted 314 caliper.. have 2 copper washer to hand. Undo the banjo hose bolt on the old caliper.. discard the old caliper and the two old washers..( one either side of the block). using one new washer either side of the hose block fit the hose to the new 314mm caliper..be careful not to cross thread it or get a curl/kink in the line.. tighten up to a moderate pressure.. enough to crush the copper washer but not to strip the thread in the caliper..Repeat for the other side..

IMPORTANT BIT NO2.

you MUST bleed all 4 wheel calipers..for safety sake...

Start nearside rear, then offside rear.. then nearside front then offside front. expect to use about 1.5 litres of fluid..this will remove all the air and also give your car the 2yr brake fluid change at the same time....so 2 jobs for the price of 1..

You 'could' have clamped the hose but air still gets in, so it's always best practice to bleed all 4 calipers regardless..

before refitting the NSF roadwheel, reattach the sensor wire through the calipers 'window' and it should all be done..Take it easy for a while thou as the pads/discs do need to wear in as a pair.. so no demon braking 'tryouts'..give them a few days..

to check you have all the air out..the pedal should be firm with the engine off after 2 pumps..if it sinks quickly to the floor then you need to re-bleed..

If you buy an easibleed the bleeding instructions are in the box as to how to use the equipment correctly..

If you are in ANY DOUBT if you can do the above 100% confidently, get a garage to do it for you..bad brakes take lives and it's not worth it..The above advice is intended as a guide and the forum and it's moderators will not be held liable for poor interpretation or a failure to follow correct workshop pratices which lead to injury or damage of a 3rd party..
    Last edited by Gsi3.2; 1st May 2008 at 07:59.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

many thanks and thanks for your time. well explained

craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

One thing to watch out for, is when you position the brake hoses before tightening up the banjo bolts, make sure you don't block access to the caliper slide bolts so that you can change the pads next time.

Don't ask me how I know this

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Another superb writeup.
    The garage are doing mine to be on the safe side (read Lazy!) but with instructions like that I reckon most people could manage!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if you get an easibleed kit make sure the seal is on properly, sometimes they dont seal too good
    i used to run the service dept for a company that used to make easibleed kits and i lost count the amount of problems and complaints with the kits
    that said if you check 100% it is sealed ok then you will be fine

Thread Information