Thread: Towbar advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Towbar advice

I bought a new detachable ball Westfalia towbar over a year ago, intending to fit it myself to our Signum 3.3 V6, and then lost my nerve ...for two reasons.

1. We have an extended Network Q warranty on the 53 reg. 54,000 mile car that's already saved us thousands, as I've inticated in my introductory posting this morning, and I can't risk voiding it.

2. I tow a car trailer. The excellent Haynes trailer manual features a Signum with an aftermarket transmission oil cooler, and says that the stability program should be re-configured for towing - my local main agent, who has always given good service, will only fit a towbar supplied by them (almost certainly an identical Westfalia one) - can't blame them, I suppose.

So, does anyone know how I can get my towbar fitted, an auto gearbox cooler put on, and the car's 'brain' sorted out, without voiding the (essential) warranty?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Mechanically fitting a towbar of any make will not void your warranty. You won't need an aditional gearbox oil cooler fitting if your remain with the the working parameters of the car.

If you buy and use the original Vauxhall wiring kit, which plugs in, you will not need to modify anything and it won't upset your cars management system.

I have towed many times with my old Signum 3.0 V6 CDTi and the stablilty programme or ESP does not need to be touched at all.

You will just need to have Tech 2 to activate the electrics. It sounds like some one is putting the fear of god into you about this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for that Maverick.

Well, I am a bit paranoid about the warranty, it's true. We must have had as much as £4k-worth of work done on the car under its extended Network Q cover, and I can't complain about our local main dealer, Bridge at Banbury, because there's never been any unwillingness to do any of it ...hence my concern about putting all that at risk.

I'll put fitting the towbar back on my agenda!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My towbar was fitted when I bought the car new, FWIW the dealer stated it would affect the warranty if it was not fitted by a VX approved dealer. I went for the fixed Westfalia swanneck which looks smart and discrete and avoids some of the problems one can get with the detachables. Twin electrics are fitted way underneath which makes them a bit awkward to plug up, but at least you cant see them easily.
    I dont mind having the fixed bar on all the time as it gives a bit of protection at the rear. It will definately have to be tech 2 as the car rear reverse lights etc will need to be knocked off when van fitted, also indicator warnings and other settings including the fridge operation.
    We have recently sold our 2007 Lunar Quasar van after deciding that the costs versus benefits simply were not worth all the hassle.
    Example: Recently hired a superb 38x12ft static north of G/Yarmouth for only £120 it would have cost me that much just for site fees with CC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

More food for thought - thanks Cameron43

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar XF 3.0D V6

Trim : Black

Engine : 3.0D V6

Year : 0000

I fitted my towbar, using non standard VX wiring and my warranty has not been affected, HOW could it???

The hand book does say that non option fit modifications MAY invalidate that part of the warranty, but unrelated areas would not be affected. What exactly does fitting a towbar affect that would affect warranty?

If the local dealer had quibbled about doing the very few repairs because of the towbar, I think all hell would have broken loose.....

As said above, someone is trying to light your fire of paranoia so you get the local stealer to supply and fit it for you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron43 View Post
    My towbar was fitted when I bought the car new, FWIW the dealer stated it would affect the warranty if it was not fitted by a VX approved dealer. I went for the fixed Westfalia swanneck which looks smart and discrete and avoids some of the problems one can get with the detachables. Twin electrics are fitted way underneath which makes them a bit awkward to plug up, but at least you cant see them easily.
    I dont mind having the fixed bar on all the time as it gives a bit of protection at the rear. It will definately have to be tech 2 as the car rear reverse lights etc will need to be knocked off when van fitted, also indicator warnings and other settings including the fridge operation.
    We have recently sold our 2007 Lunar Quasar van after deciding that the costs versus benefits simply were not worth all the hassle.
    Example: Recently hired a superb 38x12ft static north of G/Yarmouth for only £120 it would have cost me that much just for site fees with CC.
    What problems can you get with detachables? Always had detachables on our Vectra and Signum, and now our Land Rover and never had an issue when towing our caravan?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

need help wiring the 12s socket on 1.9 vectra. have doe the plug and go trailer lighting socket but not sure of wiring for 12s. can any one help please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Hatch

Trim : Exclusive Plus Pack

Engine : 1.9 CDTi Z19DTH

Year : 57

Mileage : 100k+

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    You will just need to have Tech 2 to activate the electrics. It sounds like some one is putting the fear of god into you about this.
    I got the single Vx trailer wiring and it just worked - no tech 2 required.

They do a double set as well.

Thread Information